Bass setup

dyounger

Hello, looking for advice on rod and reel for bass on the Devon coast. I've been looking at the Maxcatch website as budget is not huge. I've looked at Premier and the Predator in #8 and #9 and was hoping I could get any advice on these or other options. Thanks
Dicken

Sash

I think until you have worked out a) whether you enjoy SWFF (clue: most people don’t catch a lot of fish at all, myself included!), and b) what sort of ground you are going to be fishing over, low-cost tackle is a good way to start.

My advice would be that if your fishing will primarily be in estuaries, then you can start fairly light: 7-weight or 8-weight. A 7-weight would also be far better for Mullet. But if you are mainly fishing surf beaches or off rocks, and primarily for bass (with the possibility of Pollack), then 9-weights or 10-weights are probably better.

As a beginner, a 9-weight is the classic jack of all trades, and that’s what I started with. I fish south Pembrokeshire on surf beaches and off rocks and nowadays, as I fish more in the winter, I use a 10-weight more, since it handles heavy lines and BIG flies better. If I fished more through the summer, a 9- or 8-weight would be my go-to.

dyounger

I think until you have worked out a) whether you enjoy SWFF (clue: most people don’t catch a lot of fish at all, myself included!), and b) what sort of ground you are going to be fishing over, low-cost tackle is a good way to start.

My advice would be that if your fishing will primarily be in estuaries, then you can start fairly light: 7-weight or 8-weight. A 7-weight would also be far better for Mullet. But if you are mainly fishing surf beaches or off rocks, and primarily for bass (with the possibility of Pollack), then 9-weights or 10-weights are probably better.

As a beginner, a 9-weight is the classic jack of all trades, and that’s what I started with. I fish south Pembrokeshire on surf beaches and off rocks and nowadays, as I fish more in the winter, I use a 10-weight more, since it handles heavy lines and BIG flies better. If I fished more through the summer, a 9- or 8-weight would be my go-to.
Hi thanks for the advice, I have flyfished for a long time including saltwater and agree with your ideas on rod weights I have trout rods that will cover mullet but looking to beef up for bigger flies for the bass mainly open beaches rocky areas so looking at 9 weight. As budget not huge been looking at the Maxcatch gear. I know what you mean about not catching !! But know I have good bass down here so gonna keep after them

T_James

What is your budget exactly? It would help to have a figure.

My preference is second hand all the way as you can get high end for mid range money and mid range for budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

dyounger

What is your budget exactly? It would help to have a figure.

My preference is second hand all the way as you can get high end for mid range money and mid range for budget.

And judging from one Facebook classifieds it seems that loads of people are selling at the moment!
Hi my budget is probably £100 max which limits me 🙁 hence looking at the Maxcatch website they do the Predator combo rod, reel and line for £84 before using discount code. I've looked through the big Maxcatch thread and people seem to rate their tackle quite well which is why I asked if anyone had experience of the saltwater rods.

Thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRT

If you have freshwater 7wt gear then use this to start. A £100 budget isn’t much if you are buying new. I would beg/borrow a setup first and see if you enjoy it before dropping money in a SW outfit. Then you will know what you want and what you like as opposed to buying cheap starter outfits. Just my opinion.

original cormorant

There's an airflo bluetooth #10 on ebay at the moment with 2 days to go the price is £15. Probably too heavy for your needs but gives some idea of what might be available.

dyounger

Hi I do have a 7 weight outfit but want a heavier outfit for larger flies and windier conditions so been looking at 9 weight. Thanks for the advice I do appreciate my budget is very low just circumstances at the moment trying to get the impossible lol. Think I'm going to go for the Maxcatch combo deal on the Predator rod. I'll have a full setup and the feedback on the Maxcatch thread seems pretty good. Been tying up flies just want to get set up ready for when we can get out again. I'll give some feedback on how the rod is if I do get one !!

Sash

If you already have a 7-weight, then I would go for a 10-weight as your “heavy” outfit: it will handle big flies and sinking lines better.
I use 350 grain fast sinking heads in the surf, and #2/0 Clousers/Half & Halfs that are about 6” long, and the heavier rod works well casting and fishing these.

dyounger

If you already have a 7-weight, then I would go for a 10-weight as your “heavy” outfit: it will handle big flies and sinking lines better.
I use 350 grain fast sinking heads in the surf, and #2/0 Clousers/Half & Halfs that are about 6” long, and the heavier rod works well casting and fishing these.
Hi thanks for the reply, sounds like your doing some serious surf fishing,I used to fish the Gower a long time ago and Swansea mainly beachcasting. Grew up fishing the Usk near Abergavenny before I moved down to Devon. I did have an Orvis 10 weight years ago the old Trident rods got sold on much to my regrets. I've gone for the Maxcatch combo in the end which is a 9 weight. Think it will suit my local marks and fits my budget. I've had a good look at the Maxcatch thread and other information I can find overall the gear seems to get good reviews so hopefully will do me fine. Just gonna keep tying flies ready to get out. Cheers good fishing hopefully now it seems we can get out out again this week.

Tailing Loop

The 8 will do you fine for the East Devon marks - and South Hams. Teignmouth, a heavy sinker would be useful on the end of the spit!

Riffler

Take some time over grass if you haven't cast sinkers before.

After some years of using WF floaters, my first sessions with a heavy sinker were an eye opener.
I used my usual casting stroke and the beggar returned to me at about thigh level :oops:

dyounger

Mainly going to be fishing Dawlish and Teignmouth mixture of open beach and the estuary. Had tracking information this morning so rod and reel on the way so should be fishing soon, gonna get busy on tying flies now. Which part of the coast do you fish ?