Bat Avoidance

BroAngler

As late evening fishing has kicked off I was wondering if anybody could share tips on avoiding hooking bats? My past two trips have resulted in the capture of two, the first badly injured so sadly I had to do the honourable thing.
Luckily the bat I caught last night flew away happily once it had been untangled. As a real lover of nature it breaks my heart the idea of killing a bat especially as it no doubt has youngsters. Even if you don't give a gnats ass about them they are definitely best avoided as highlighted here.

HPA - Health Protection Agency warns fly fishermen of rabies risk from Daubenton

Obviously the best way of avoiding them is cut down on the false casting which I am trying to do, but as I am no great caster this is easier said than done.
Any suggestions?

Mark Morton

Not a lot you can do to stop them intercepting your fly. Put a pair of leather gloves in your kit to handle them with as they do nip and can carry a form of rabies.
Do your best to get them unhooked and if they don't want to fly, then pop them onto a nearby tree or wall where they can recover. Good to hear you have that many around because ours seem to have vanished this year.

timrobbo

As late evening fishing has kicked off I was wondering if anybody could share tips on avoiding hooking bats? My past two trips have resulted in the capture of two, the first badly injured so sadly I had to do the honourable thing.
Luckily the bat I caught last night flew away happily once it had been untangled. As a real lover of nature it breaks my heart the idea of killing a bat especially as it no doubt has youngsters. Even if you don't give a gnats ass about them they are definitely best avoided as highlighted here.

HPA - Health Protection Agency warns fly fishermen of rabies risk from Daubenton

Obviously the best way of avoiding them is cut down on the false casting which I am trying to do, but as I am no great caster this is easier said than done.
Any suggestions?

Was that down Dovedale Archie?
Tim

BroAngler

No on the gout, the place is thick with them and surprisingly BWO at the moment. Not had the pleasure of evening fishing at Dovedale yet but will be up there in the next week or two.

Latest posts