Bat time

jack_russell

I posted on another thread that I'd seen them out since late Feb in the evenings down the allotments - thought it was a one off but seen them most evenings since 🦇

Not seen a bumble bee yet tho!

diawl bach

Had a big surprise yesterday, nipped up the ladder to get a plank. I was on eye level with the timber and lifted a couple of lengths to pull away the one I wanted, bugger me if there wasn't a bat between the planks.

bat.jpg

Carefully replaced the lengths I'd lifted and abandoned the project I had in mind.

vital

Way back, I think in the 90's, according to the fading memory, you had to notify if you found a bat's roost. Don't know (1) whether my feeble brain is playing tricks on me (2) what the current batty legislation is, but thought it might be worth a cautious mention

Cap'n Fishy

Saw my 1st Bat of the year tonight.

Jim

Chees, Jim. Will keep an eye out the kitchen window from tomorrow night on. Mine should be waking up soon...

Been seeing big bumblebees the last week or so. Things are on the up...

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Way back, I think in the 90's, according to the fading memory, you had to notify if you found a bat's roost. Don't know (1) whether my feeble brain is playing tricks on me (2) what the current batty legislation is, but thought it might be worth a cautious mention

Yeh - very strict legislation on doing anything that interferes with any bats in any way. Basically, back away! (y)

diawl bach

I think the legislation bears on development, I've no immediate plans for the building and chuffed to have found one on the property. My mate up the valley had to pay a couple of grand for a survey and housing for the colony of bats in his roof when he changed the structure of his house, they can prove to be expensive guests.

I made a bat box for my daughter last weekend, it was a massive coincidence that one turned up out of the blue three days on - bat karma.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

We have several bat boxes round our fishery. and they get used.

Jim

On our loch, they use a warped fold in the vertical section of the roofing felt on the boathouse to make a roost for themselves. The only clue you have to their presence is the pile of guano on the ground under the entrance. 😜

ohanzee

I think the legislation bears on development, I've no immediate plans for the building and chuffed to have found one on the property. My mate up the valley had to pay a couple of grand for a survey and housing for the colony of bats in his roof when he changed the structure of his house, they can prove to be expensive guests.

I made a bat box for my daughter last weekend, it was a massive coincidence that one turned up out of the blue three days on - bat karma.

Had soprano pipistrelles and normal pipistrelles here before development, same situation, bat people came and got very excited, developer had to put bat boxes on trees etc, paid them for the report, got the planning permission, and that's the last he heard, no idea if any survived, never seen a bat here since.

diawl bach

It's good for bats locally, they're always around when the weather warms up to the point where they're a nuisance when you're night fishing. I'm not sure whether the bat in the planks is an indication of a population that's expanding or a dearth of roost sites. We have a weird wickerwork chimney in that building, I'd imagine there're are a few there too.

ohanzee

It's good for bats locally, they're always around when the weather warms up to the point where they're a nuisance when you're night fishing. I'm not sure whether the bat in the planks is an indication of a population that's expanding or a dearth of roost sites. We have a weird wickerwork chimney in that building, I'd imagine there're are a few there too.

Where there is one there will be more nearby, hundreds maybe😬 don't let them get up your sleeve, they grip like nothing you have ever been gripped by and they don't let go.

During the bat survey I was placed on duty with an electronic box thing that tells you the species, where I was positioned was a corner looking over a field, and after the first emergence and fluttering about they each in turn headed off, from my vantage point I could see a line of them following a hedge off into the distance, never seen that before, when you see them fluttering about some are just doing the fluttering about stage before heading off to feed, they head for rivers and marshland , everything relies on insects.

Latest posts