Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Come on, everyone knows they look like a dark haired version of Yosemite Sam!

Yeh - he crossed my mind as well. But as you say, wrong colour....

I always think of him when I see ospreys, as they have the same unexplained black band going back from the eye...

Bearded vultures have a genuine beard though...

aka Lammergeier.

Had a first attempt at getting photos of bearded reedlings yesterday, at the vast reed beds on the Tay estuary. It has the biggest population of them (aka bearded tits) in the UK. Apparently, this is the best time of year to get them, as they feed on the reed seeds during winter. Went with my mate Ron, who had been once before a couple of weeks ago. He reckoned get there early, as the last time there were loads of folk with cameras, all vying for the best positions. So we were in position at 08:30. And we were the only ones there - the whole time! And no sign of the birds! Did the rest know something? We had to hang around until 11:00 before they put in an appearance. (A guy who was there the last time had told my mate that 11:00 is the best time for them... and he was spot-on.) Feet were blummin' cold by that time. I was wishing I had worn my neoprene wellies instead of my plain vinyl ones! From what we worked out, at 11:00 they suddenly appear and head for the trays of grit the RSPB types put out for them. They get a feed of grit to help with grinding their food, and then they head off, deep into the reeds to feed. So, the best place to get a photo is to stand near a grit tray. Ron is a purist, and didn't want any shots with the grit tray in it, but they were so much easier to get on the tray than on the reeds. They were not still for a second when they were on the reeds, and focusing was a nightmare. The camera's autofocus kept finding the reeds, and there just was no time to try and focus manually. I was less fussy and was happy to include shots with them on the tray. We actually got one wee chance of them before they went to the grit tray. They were deep inside the reeds and it was even more of a nightmare to get them in focus. Had to try and do it manually. I only got one presentable shot...
We could hear them calling (it's a distinctive, metallic cheep) over where the grit tray was, so we moved round. They were not fussed about us being there. They were very good at perching with a reed in front of them!
This is about the only decent shot I got of a female...
Very good at perching with a reed in front of them!
At last!
A lot of them were ringed. We were chatting with a dog-walker who was telling us the RSPB were down doing a lot of ringing. A good pose...
Another good pose...
Col
I have been up to the reedbeds about 5 times trying to get photos but have not managed as like you say they are so difficult to get in focus when amongst the reeds. Recently I have been trying on the culvert near Port Allen as I can get eye level with them...still no luck. I just stumbled across this post (although I am also a fly fisherman) - whereabouts are these trays? I'd love to get pictures like these! Amazing.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I have been up to the reedbeds about 5 times trying to get photos but have not managed as like you say they are so difficult to get in focus when amongst the reeds. Recently I have been trying on the culvert near Port Allen as I can get eye level with them...still no luck. I just stumbled across this post (although I am also a fly fisherman) - whereabouts are these trays? I'd love to get pictures like these! Amazing.
Do you have an Exif viewer? If so, the GPS location (in any of the images) will take you to the exact spot. ;) If not, let me know and I will PM you directions.

Col

Discussion starter · #27 ·
thanks very much I think I have it - I have been to that bit before but never noticed the tables! Thanks for the tip - if I manage photos I will post!
When you come down the track from Gas Brae, you come to an open arena with no reeds. From roughly the middle of that arena, the trays are off to the left and right. We centred on the one on the right. It is along a very muddy alleyway in the reeds, and then slightly off to the right-hand side, so you won't see it unless you go along that alley. When you get to it, there is an alcove opposite on the left-hand side, where you can set up and wait for them to come in. They are not bad in terms of human presence. They didn't seem bothered about us being there and snapping at them.

The day I was there, there was no sign of them until 11:00 a.m., at which point they just appeared like magic. They were full-on fuelling up with grit for about 20 minutes, after which they disappeared off to spend the day deep in the reeds. So, it was game over for us after 20 minutes of furious snapping.

Col

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.