Beavers - benefits for your rivers and streams

Dunk

Thought some of you would be interested in this piece, which I wholeheartedly agree with:

speytime

I think it's an absolute disgrace that an animal can be illegally released then a year or so later have a protection order put on them, wtf is that about?
I've no problem with them, however imo anyone having their bankings dug out and trees cut down should be allowed to shoot them, no land owner should have to put up with that.

European beavers don't do damage like the American cousin 🤣🤣🤣 said the man with no land.

Al

squimp

The agenda is a series of 'soft releases' in England to get the damn things re-established without the rigmarole of a full blown re-introduction programme and all the debate that that entails. Basically get beavers back out there through the back door.

Come and see the impact they have had in the Cotswold Water Park (Glos) and then tell me it is a good idea to have them back.........

The only good news is that they aren't protected south of the Scottish border yet.

speytime

The agenda is a series of 'soft releases' in England to get the damn things re-established without the rigmarole of a full blown re-introduction programme and all the debate that that entails. Basically get beavers back out there through the back door.
That would sound right they arived in Scotland illegally or through the back door.

We have the SNP which are pretty much an animals right party, anything for votes eh, its unfortunate they don't feel the same way about the future of wild salmon and sea trout, maybe if they had sappy eyes and a fur coat?

I've not grudges with beavers but it boils my urine the fact that they were illegally released then protected, just to convenient for my liking???

Al

glueman

The Scottish Beaver Trial is a partnership project between the Scottish Wildlife Trust, The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and host partner Forestry Commission Scotland. In May 2008, the Scottish Government approved an application submitted by the three partners for a five-year trial reintroduction of the Eurasian beaver
Not the back door the front door

speytime

The Scottish Beaver Trial is a partnership project between the Scottish Wildlife Trust, The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and host partner Forestry Commission Scotland. In May 2008, the Scottish Government approved an application submitted by the three partners for a five-year trial reintroduction of the Eurasian beaver
Not the back door the front door
If you care to research it you'll find beavers were released illegally in Scotland, there was no government approval at the time of their release, that's a fact.
That's regarded as the back door.

Al

glueman

If you care to research it you'll find beavers were released illegally in Scotland, there was no government approval at the time of their release, that's a fact.
That's regarded as the back door.

Al
That was research into who released them and whether approval was given,what year were the back door beavers released

speytime

I'm not sure exactly when, I'd need to look back shooting times or Scottish game keepers to see what year the 1st reports were in Scotland, they were around for a couple of years anyway before they had legal status.
It's not something I had any great interest in either way but they had to be brought here illegally, that's the annoying part to me, any animals being released into another country would be quarantined and have vet approved papers.

Al

Laxdale

The Tayside beavers were released illegally by ***** Estate.
The Knapdale trial was pointless as there were no salmonid fisheries or people in the area to piss off.
In fairness to SNH, they have been very good at issuing licences to get rid of the giant rodents. The current tack by the rewilding/beaver loving bampots is to try and get killing stopped and get the beavers relocated instead, whilst ignoring all the problems that would bring.

squimp

The guy who ‘introduced’ them down here did not have the correct permission when he put them into his enclosure.

furthermore he then went on BBC tv and stated that once they had bred he would open the gates and let them roam free ! The powers that be did nothing.....

A few years later an undisclosed number (Circa 15) got out of the pen. Whether they were released or they escaped is a matter of some debate.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I had a wee exchange of views with the author on the Scottish Wild Beaver page on Facebook. He has a very high opinion of his own opinion.
That post reminds me of a comment I made here years ago regarding the proposals to release at Knapdale.
Way back then was e-mail discussion between me and him.
My opinion then seems to fit yuors now!
British beavers are now on the criticdal endangered list from WWF, and as such are given special protection status.
A re introduced species to a habitat it has no chance of surviving in now given WWF special protection?
WWF, WTF!?
Regards
Bert

Laxdale

Actually, the fact that the beavers were given "protection" at all shows how weak the SG are on such matters. The SG knew beavers were causing massive problems, but preferred to bow to pressure groups and gave the beavers "protection", whilst telling SNH to train people up on how to kill them at the same time.
I believe a council in Perthshire has just started major works to repair a road being undermined by beaver activity, at huge cost. The world has gone mad.

speytime

Nah it can't be the beavers causing damage there European beavers and they don't do damage like the American cousins 🤪
Don't get me started on the SG bowing to pressure groups, i never ever thought I'd prefer the tories 😲

Al