Beavers - benefits for your rivers and streams

iainmortimer

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
This stupid trial is still ongoing.whilst we have hundreds(could be thousands) of illegally realeased beavers populating the middle of Scotland.Then protection was given.If you had seen the destruction they have caused.you might rethink your opinion.

Jim
Not sure about the numbers of illegally released beavers Jim, but I do know this.
Original releases in Knapdale of around 16 or so beavers saw a decline in numbers over the years.
Sooooo what do the reaserchers do?
They release double the number, to try to keep the numbers of the research area up!
A further 21 or so, were released in the last two years.
They are now protected under law, but so is the further introduction. It is now illegal to release them without licences.
Given the original project failed, causing the obvious deaths of many of the original releases, how can further releases be justified?
Only the people running the project could ever support this situation.
Bert

diawl bach

Coypus get around, my local in west Wales has one (stuffed) known as the Abercych Rat which was killed in the 50s on the river which gives the village its name, the Afon Cych.

Here he is returned to the bar after a brief absence -

Not too sure about beavers being reintroduced though, totally onboard when it comes to the benefits of large woody debris but a succession of dams along a spawning stream already damaged by slurry pollution and a large population of cormorants doesn't convince me that beavers would do anything other than increase the impact of current issues which are causing declines in the number of fish which the river supports.

bennysbuddy

Nah it can't be the beavers causing damage there European beavers and they don't do damage like the American cousins 🤪
Don't get me started on the SG bowing to pressure groups, i never ever thought I'd prefer the tories 😲

Al
Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference of a European beaver from the American beavers.? They all look the same to me.

Hardrar

From what I’ve read, from various studies, releasing Beavers is a bit counter productive and arguably cruel, if there is a healthy local Otter and Fox population, = very soon no Beavers. (not discounting raptor predators- Eagles, Buzzards etc)
This is why they soon inevitably disappear.
The river system I’ve been a syndicate member in for many years, used to be plagued with Mink. Rarely didn’t see at least one on most trips, sometimes you would see a Sow with four to six kits in full view. About 8 years ago they reintroduced 8 pairs of Otter over the whole river system, within a few months, you never saw another Mink and haven’t done since.
It’s Well documented that the Otters have now virtually eliminated Mink in most areas. We still see the Otters occasionally and quite close up at dusk and there are often their tracks in the bankside silt. Foxes are also regular bankside companions.

Last edited:

mrnotherone

Excuse my ignorance, what is the difference of a European beaver from the American beavers.? They all look the same to me.
Separately evolved species with a common ancestor. Slightly different size and shape of tail. One has more chromosomes than the other and they can't interbreed.

Other than that the Eurasian Beaver does not have the right to bear arms and has a propensity for ironic humour. The American beaver is louder and wears checked trousers to play golf. :)

Last edited:

bennysbuddy

Separately evolved species with a common ancestor. Slightly different size and shape of tail. One has more chromosomes than the other and they can't interbreed.

Other than that the Eurasian Beaver does not have the right two bear arms and has a propensity for ironic humour. The American beaver is louder and wears checked trousers to play golf. :)
Fascinating, I would pay serious money to see a beaver play golf in any attire

bobfly2

The Knapdale trial has hardly been a great success. First group imported and there were prerelease losses in quarantine. 16 remaing released in 2009/10 and 8 died within six years. In 2016 the RZSS said that there was a serious risk to those remaining dying out so reinforcements were brought in from the flourishing but illegally released Tayside population. 17 were moved over and of those 5 have died and one cannot located and is missing, probably dead. So 6 out of 17 of group two have gone inside of three years.

speytime

The Knapdale trial has hardly been a great success. First group imported and there were prerelease losses in quarantine. 16 remaing released in 2009/10 and 8 died within six years. In 2016 the RZSS said that there was a serious risk to those remaining dying out so reinforcements were brought in from the flourishing but illegally released Tayside population. 17 were moved over and of those 5 have died and one cannot located and is missing, probably dead. So 6 out of 17
The ones that were illegally released are doing well.
of group two have gone inside of three years.
"Not long after the trial started, however, a population of over a hundred wild beavers was discovered on other side of the country in Tayside, after unofficial releases took place. Today it is thought that some 400 beavers are now roaming eastern Scotland, to the concern of many farmers who are worried about the unchecked and unmanaged population."

Al

bobfly2

SNH ... oops ... NatureScot have been compiling mapping surveys of distribution and population numbers, maybe 600+ now. I said "flourishing " and certainly plenty to let them be shipped out in numbers to elsewhere in the UK. I wonder how extensive any consultation might be for recipient localities bearing in mind the huge spread beyond Tayside that now goes to Rannoch and the Trossachs.

PaulD

diawl bach

Best pub ever, currently limbering up for reopening with an Indian chef/barman, Abdul. A lot of the boys have been drinking in the next village as both pubs are undergoing refurbs here. New owners at the White Hart, mixed reviews in Trip Advisor, worth a read, my favorite being this one star gem

Evening meal
Booked meal for 6 15 arrived had drinks were handed menus but not told to order at bar waited 35 minutes my husband went to bar to ask and why not served waited longer when to leave and pay for drinks and was told to fk off several times by landlady who told somebody else who wanted drinks that she was taking to people she hadn't seen for 6 months

bobfly2

BBC2 today had 45 minutes about beavers in the Tetons Nat Park and their management problems. Blocked road culverts and waterlogged areas due to flooding across land with gentle gradients and the beavers put in a 3 or 4 foot high barrage across. Sequences of ponds have no effect on reducing flooding in winter as you simply have a series of filled up baths leading one to another. Having a spate is just turning up the tap into bath one and the flow goes down the system uninterupted.