Beetle flies?

kingf000

On the small river I've just started to fish the fishing goes dead at around 9-10am depending upon the sun and heat. I've read you can still catch after that on beetle flies, casting under trees and close to overhanging vegetation. Is that anyone's experience?

rockslider

yes around these parts the daytime fishing best with a small beetle or green aphid under the trees. i still wait for dark though to fish the sedge!

iainmortimer

Yes it is although in my experience most flies will work at that time if cast close enough to or under cover. A little giffiths gnat can be as good as anything and with its close hackling is less likely to snag too!

kingf000

Many thanks for the replies. Where the river isn't deep or under trees, there is a central weedy channel with clear water running under the vegetation on each side. I'll try these clear spots, though I'll probably spend a lot of time pulling the beetle from the vegetation, hopefully to let it plop nicely over a trout!

GEK79

On the small river I've just started to fish the fishing goes dead at around 9-10am depending upon the sun and heat. I've read you can still catch after that on beetle flies, casting under trees and close to overhanging vegetation. Is that anyone's experience?
I came across a coch Y bonddu beetle with a copper bronze belly the fish seem to like it.. Just an observation I've had over here...

camlad

A simple black foam beetle is up there at number 1 for high summer fishing ! I usually fish them fairly large (size 12) to grab a fishes attention, lands with a bit of a 'plop' and can get some savage takes!

iainmortimer

Interesting article. Can you use them on Lough too..
Yes definitely. A simple black foam beetle on a 12 or 14 hook is a go to for me on upland waters and lochs. I think there's generally enough wind to push terrestrials onto the water and beetles are one of them. Especially true on hungry waters where the fish are always on the look out for wind blown food like heather flies, crane flies and anything else that comes along!

Last edited:

rabmax

I alway's have a few foam beetles in my box.Make them hit the water hard with a plop.They see the plop & come over & attach.I always have Renegade flies.They take it as a snail probably as a beetle too.
I