Beginner help

pigsypete

I have inherited some fly tying equipment and am keen to tie and catch something on my own creations. However I have been searching through here and cannot find a step by step guide how to start tying and some really basic patterns to practice with.

Am I going blind and have I just missed a easy guide with how to use the tools or can anyone reccomend a site or a book to get me going.

Thanks in advance

Mrtrout

Welcome Pete, try U tube, just ask for whip finish knot or sbs on tying.
Something will come up that will help you.
S.

mancfly

I have inherited some fly tying equipment and am keen to tie and catch something on my own creations. However I have been searching through here and cannot find a step by step guide how to start tying and some really basic patterns to practice with.

Am I going blind and have I just missed a easy guide with how to use the tools or can anyone reccomend a site or a book to get me going.

Thanks in advance
Pete
Check out DavieMcPhail on Youtube, the very best fly tying instruction you will find on the net! David Cammis is ok, and he may be more useful for a complete beginner, but he uses half hitches to finish off. Davie ties a very wide range of flies, from simple to elaborate, all very clear except for his rapid whip finish!

pigsypete

Thanks a lot for all your replies a great help they were too, managed to find my local Fly Dressers Guild and am off tonight to meet them all.

Also tied my first fly, I may be in with a chance providing the trout is half blind and starving :D

I guess this is a case of practice makes perfect and working out what all these different tools do.

Latest posts