Best 4-5# Double Taper lines?

A. Fluker

Appreciate that this subject comes up from time to time but looking for up to date opinions that may have been affected by any recent market developments.

Thanks for your views in advance.

:)

andrewparkeruk

RIO LT DT looks interesting; haven't tried it but extremely long taper, looks similar to two Wulff TTs back-to-back.
Not everyone's cup-of-tea, richardw would hate it even if it were WF;) not designed for chucking a Mayfly into a headwind, but perfect for roll casts and Speys.
Rio Freshwater Lines - Light Touch DT

For a more conventional DT profile, SA XPS is excellent (I use a #5), very supple and slick.

Another endorsement for the Barrio Mallard (I use a #4); Barrio lines are a great price, and Mike B a nice man.

Andrew

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Chris .
if I were looking for a new DT line ,a modern silk would be my first choice .
If going the somewhat cheaper route I would look at The Pirates or barrios and whichever colour suited me best thats what i would go for .Both superb lines at real prices .

shuck raider

Another vote for Rio, but the Mainstream version this time - cheaper than the LT and I can't tell the difference in use. I've been using these lines for some years now and find them to be excellent :thumbs:

kenneth

Other than you get two lines for the price of one, why Double Taper instead of a Weight Forward line?

richard
Richard, that's precisely why I always buy DT lines for river work! And the fact that they're so easy to transfer from reel to reel -- I have more reels than lines and move lines quite often...

Having said all that, my favorite DT4 and DT5 floaters are, in order of preference, for the way they suit my casting style, and for their suppleness, color and price:

1. Cortland Sylk (I have this in DT3F, DT4F, DT5F and DT6F)
2. Hook and Hackle Classic Hi-floater (DT3F, DT4F, DT5F)
3. Mike Barrio's Mallard line in the muted green color. (DT4F, DT5F, DT6F)

On rivers, I fish bamboo rods 100% of the time and use older standard arbor reels, and these lines come off straight and true with no memory whatsoever, even after months of being stored on-reel. Highly recommended!

BTW, I love silk lines and do actually have two, but there's no getting away from the sinking after a long day or in rough water, and the post-fishing care -- I'm just too lazy!

Kenneth

A. Fluker

Looking to replace my Barrio Line with another and just wanted to find out if there was anything else on the market that I could consider in that price bracket.

The suggestion of a silk line is a cool one but I am afraid costs and general casting ability means that I posssibly would wreck one first off and not be very happy but would love the opportunity to try one some time.

Other than you get two lines for the price of one, why Double Taper instead of a Weight Forward line?

richard
Richard, I feel a lot more confident with a DT on a river for presentation not only when roll casting but hook and curve casts.

OK I also get to fish large stillwaters and my WF lines and shooting heads are a boon for trying to hit the Dam Wall from Sanctuary Bay at Grafham say.

Having said that I am open to listen and would like to hear your take on WF lines against DT lines for river presentation. Apologies up front if I have missed these on an earlier thread and you can spare the time to explain.

Thanks again.

stealth247

The best river line I have tried is the Rio Trout LT DT and I have them in #2 and #4.
Bit expensive but if you shop around they come up discounted every now and again.
I think I got the last one on eBay from USA and it was a lot cheaper than buying here.
I don't see there's much difference in presentation between a DT and WF once you get to something like a #5 as you are probably fishing wider rivers or small stillwaters with bigger flies and the longer running line of a WF makes it easier to shoot.

A. Fluker

The best river line I have tried is the Rio Trout LT DT and I have them in #2 and #4.
Bit expensive but if you shop around they come up discounted every now and again.
I think I got the last one on eBay from USA and it was a lot cheaper than buying here.
I don't see there's much difference in presentation between a DT and WF once you get to something like a #5 as you are probably fishing wider rivers or small stillwaters with bigger flies and the longer running line of a WF makes it easier to shoot.
Thanks for your suggestion about the Rio but am now waiting for Santa to deliver a DT#5 from a different manufacturer.

Believe the reasons that you have given hold good as a generality but I fish in some very tight corners and the DT just about wins for me on presentation. I also get to angle for some large fish from time to time and I like them in as quickly as possible and away as quickly as possible where some of the lighter lines could mean that I am playing a fish for longer than I need to.

Thanks again for your comments.