Best Amadou patch

Spider

Any advice on where I can get a decent amadou patch. My old one is gone hard after it fell in the water at end of last season. Cheers
M

wobbly face

You could try replacing the patch: https://www.tungsten-beads-plus.com/collections/accessories-1/products/amadou-sheet-10x7cm sold out though.

wobbly face

You could also try Lucien on here. This is the link to his Amadou products on his web site:
Joel at Tungsten Beads gets his amadou of Lucian, quicker postage if in stock. :)

Cap'n Fishy

IMHO... like...

Anything described as a 'patch' or 'sheet' is unlikely to be genuine amadou (the horse's hoof fungus, Fomes fomentarius)... :unsure:

The amadou is a thin layer of flesh between the rock-hard skin and the spore tube mass (95% of the total) below. The 'flesh' layer is highly irregular and amorphic when you extract it. ;)

A lot of these 'patches' and 'sheets' are synthetic substitutes, eg 'Shamadou'. And, if it is in a keyfob type patch, then it will last no time before it is totally gunged up - because you are placing your fly in the exact same spot, again and again and again. You need a big piece, the size of a hankie... ;)

Try this place...

Bushcraft

Tell them when ordering that you want it for drying flies, not for tinder. (y)

Col

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Just use kitchen roll.
I have a theory that people who say "just use kitchen roll" have never had a piece of genuine Fomes fomentarius. The people I know who have genuine Fomes fomentarius know it is much better at wicking water away than kitchen roll, and that is why they use it, rather than kitchen roll.

Just mei theory, what is mein, by Anne Elk. 😜

Andrew Rourke

IMHO... like...

Anything described as a 'patch' or 'sheet' is unlikely to be genuine amadou (the horse's hoof fungus, Fomes fomentarius)... :unsure:

The amadou is a thin layer of flesh between the rock-hard skin and the spore tube mass (95% of the total) below. The 'flesh' layer is highly irregular and amorphic when you extract it. ;)

A lot of these 'patches' and 'sheets' are synthetic substitutes, eg 'Shamadou'. And, if it is in a keyfob type patch, then it will last no time before it is totally gunged up - because you are placing your fly in the exact same spot, again and again and again. You need a big piece, the size of a hankie... ;)

Try this place...

Bushcraft

Tell them when ordering that you want it for drying flies, not for tinder. (y)

Col
I bought a lifetime and a half's worth from them a good while ago, brilliant quality.
I used to beat out my own but nowadays the reward vs effort factor is poor and I simply can't be ar5ed!

Cap'n Fishy

I used to beat out my own but nowadays the reward vs effort factor is poor and I simply can't be ar5ed!
Yeh - me too - been there, done that... and skinned my knuckles more times than I care to remember. ☹

The main reason I gave up on the home-processed stuff was I came to the conclusion that nearly all the Scottish amadou is too slow growing, such that, by the time it is large enough to give you a good-sized piece, it is too old and corky to be much use. I had one last concerted effort a couple of years ago and didn't get a single good piece, so I bought some from that website. It's disintegrating a bit faster than I would like, but there is still plenty life in the bit I have...

Col

Spider

Col, I've é mailed Bushcraft, explaining usage, tks for that.

I might try Joel too, or if you are reading, send me a PM joel

pedros

Well...
we can converse and wax lyrical about the positive properties of Amadou, and no doubt the ‘real’ deal is fantastic. However, kitchen roll does do a pretty decent job. Just make fishing simple and stick your hand in the kitchen drawer before venturing out.

Cap'n Fishy

Well...
we can converse and wax lyrical about the positive properties of Amadou, and no doubt the ‘real’ deal is fantastic. However, kitchen roll does do a pretty decent job. Just make fishing simple and stick your hand in the kitchen drawer before venturing out.
Isn't that a defeatist attitude to take? Why resort to rubbishy kitchen roll, when you can have real Fomes fomentarius? 😜

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

I got a lump from them a couple of years ago. iirc it was c. £6 for a sheet roughly 12 x 6 inches. Brilliant stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I can only assume that the good stuff comes from continental Europe???

They make hats with it in Romania...

WTF???

Cap'n Fishy

This piece, shown in cross section....

In all the hundreds of pieces I have harvested in Scotland (mostly Perthshire), I have never got close to a piece with such a thick, luxurious layer of amadou.

It's usually a much thinner layer...

This is similar to what my efforts look like, half way through processing....

Sheet? How on earth do you get a sheet from that???