Best backing knot

rusty

I intend to replace a WF4 F with a WF3 F. This will result in the need for some additional backing to ensure the spool is correctly filled. The backing is dacron braid. Are there any suggestions for the best knot to use just in case I hook a whopper and it needs to pass through the rod rings.

andygrey

I've used a Slim Beauty on some of my saltwater reels when adding extra backing though a double grinner would work just as well.
I have actually seem my backing twice when fishing a 3wt, both times on the Leach downstream of Lechlade not long after a flood...

Reactions: JCP

Hardrar

I use a needle knot- push needle up the line and out the side 5-8 mm up the line then four turn water knot or Uni knot. Cinched down to very low profile with gel spun or braid

Hardrar

I intend to replace a WF4 F with a WF3 F. This will result in the need for some additional backing to ensure the spool is correctly filled. The backing is dacron braid. Are there any suggestions for the best knot to use just in case I hook a whopper and it needs to pass through the rod rings.
Make sure you try the new WF 3 first- not forced to take up more room? Can be longer, thicker, different length heads, I’ve been caught out before.

stevel

You mean just adding an extra piece of backing to the existing backing? Just use an Albright knot to join the 2 pieces of backing, and you can use the same knot to join the backing to the flyline as well, though you may need some Knot Sense or other to make a smooth covering over the knots.

original cormorant

I suspect you are fussing unnecessarily if there was enough backing for fish you were prepared for with a #4 then why do you expect stronger fish on the #3 . On the other hand if you really feel you need the extra backing to fill the reel I would suggest loop to loop. For a light weight set up surgeons loops are adequate, but make the loops big enough to pass the reel through.

rusty

The knot will be a backing to backing knot, which not what everyone seems to realise.
I do appreciate the comment to reverse the existint backing to get the knot further from the fly reel.
I do not really expect to use the line on waters where I am likely to see the backing but you never know. But I do want the line to fill the spool.
I once hooked an overwintered rainbow at Rutland and the fish tried to go to Nottingham, or so it seemed. The backing looked as if it followed the curvature of the Earth!

Rusty

stevel

The knot will be a backing to backing knot, which not what everyone seems to realise.
I do appreciate the comment to reverse the existint backing to get the knot further from the fly reel.
I do not really expect to use the line on waters where I am likely to see the backing but you never know. But I do want the line to fill the spool.
I once hooked an overwintered rainbow at Rutland and the fish tried to go to Nottingham, or so it seemed. The backing looked as if it followed the curvature of the Earth!

Rusty
As I said, an Albright is a good knot for this, but you'll need more turns if it's braid backing.
Are you really going need much more backing moving from a wf4f to a wf3f? I'd be surprised if it's more than 5 yards?

Hardrar

Why don’t you just strip the #4 line and backing off altogether and just use fresh backing- it’s cheap enough really. I buy 1000m spools, which is the most cost effective way.

rusty

As I said, an Albright is a good knot for this, but you'll need more turns if it's braid backing.
Are you really going need much more backing moving from a wf4f to a wf3f? I'd be surprised if it's more than 5 yards?
I have lots of left over bits of backing and I want to use them up. I have a new spool of Orvis backing but do not break into that. The reversal of the backing is the way to go. I think you are probably right it will not take a lot to optimise the fill. Thanks for your reply.
Rusty

BobP

I normally use a braided loop and 5 turn tucked half blood knot. I've seen the backing go whistling through the guides on a good few occasions at Farmoor 1, especially in the early days after Thames Water took it back into their management. I would expect it at least once every trip and sometimes twice and that was using a 10' #5 rod.

JCP

Joining dacron type backing I would go double uni or the loop to loop route for simplicity.Will be adequate on a 3wt set up.As the man said will need a loop the reel can pass through.In summary the loop to loop in this case will be one alternative on all counts. 👍 Make the loops using a perfection,Fig 8 or double surgeons knot whichever you fancy they will all do the job just fine.The double/back to back uni knot is bulletproof also.

JP

Last edited:

stevel

Is that a blind splice to make a loop?
I've found that I can only do a blind splice loop with 30lb dacron. 20lb is too thin to thread the splicing needle/tool.
I found a YouTube by George Anderson on how to do blind splice loops, but I use these for making backing loops to link with running line (which normally already have a loop)

Last edited:

original cormorant

If I knew how. Maybe you can give us all a lesson.

Rusty
There's plenty of blind splicing experts on youtube. I suspect the Midcurrent one is as good as any. Splicing two separate lengths of backing together is exactly the same principle as making a blind splice loop.

Tangled

The triple fisherman's knot is a smooth knot used for jointing lines

triple-fishermans-knot.jpg