best boat seat

blobmancometh

whats best boat seat please
thinking between airflo comfort deluxe or the rutland one
thanks

Rob Edmunds

Between us ...My wife, Me , my Son and Dad have 5 boat seats.....3 x Airflo and 2 x Rutland.

The last 3 I've purchased have all been the Airflo Deluxe with back rest.....( don't even consider a seat without a back rest !!)

Having used them all for many years, my personal preference is Airflo Deluxe....because it's lighter and folds down into a smalker space, meaning its easier to fit in the car with rods, cool boxes etc

After about 4 or 5 years regular ( 2 x weekly) use the foam seat part will be knackered....new foam covered in an old pair of oil skins, or waders is the best and easiest fix I've found...

blobmancometh

many thanks rob for the reply
im a big lad 17 stone so will give it a test fish 3 times a week usually

Rob Edmunds

I'm a member of the 16 stone club .🤣🤣

If you motor straight into a big wave say 15mph+ and the boats bouncing about . ...I find it best to sit on the boats actual seat ( if it has one) .....16 stone bouncing up and down has snapped both the Airflo and Rutland seat , in my experience 😭

speytime

I've had a Rutland, Airflo comfort zone and a Airflo comfort zone swivel.
The swivel is ridiculously @ 25lb+ the regular comfort zone is lighter but the Rutland is easily the lightest of them all.
Iirc they are tested with 15 stone

speytime

It might be worth considering some sort of upright for under the seat, a couple of feet of 2x2", it should be simple enough to work out some way to fix it under the seat with a wing nut, elastic whatever.

Al
many thanks rob for the reply
im a big lad 17 stone so will give it a test fish 3 times a week usually

original cormorant

What you should consider as well as comfort and durability is ease of fixing and unfixing.

Straps that I have are a pita.

If you don't have an issue with transport then fixing an airflo/TLD to a thwart board is an option. My TLD seat has been strapped to an old rutland thwart for local fishing.

speytime

I need to change my seat pads, should I just get some foam custom cut? If so, is there a preferred type I should choose?
I looked into buying foam for my seat but it got a bit complicated idk one foam from another by name, in the end I used a knee board on the bottom and cut a square of regular foam cushion for the top.
The next time it'll be using a memory foam.

Al

Cap'n Fishy

What you should consider as well as comfort and durability is ease of fixing and unfixing.

Straps that I have are a pita.

If you don't have an issue with transport then fixing an airflo/TLD to a thwart board is an option. My TLD seat has been strapped to an old rutland thwart for local fishing.

Reading the PITA bit here...

I know the ratchet straps are a faff when I see folk using them. I'm not sure exactly of your configuration, but it sounds like something I have available to me as an option to move a seat easily and quickly between an old Rutland thwart and putting it on the boat's thwart...

The seat is permanently mounted to a swivel plate that is permanently mounted to a piece of wood. It is then secured to either the Rutland plank or the boat's thwart using a pair of Velcro straps...

Glencorse12May19_2596.jpg

Brora-2019_9989.jpg

Like all Velcro, the straps taken seconds to put on or take off.

I remember someone mocked the Velcro straps as being insufficient, but they are rock solid. If you lean back, the back of the seat would snap off before the straps gave way.

I tacked non-slip rubber matting to the underside, just for extra rigidity and to protect the surface of the thwart it is sited on.

Short-mount20Apr19_9905.jpg

Col

anith

Reading the PITA bit here...

I know the ratchet straps are a faff when I see folk using them. I'm not sure exactly of your configuration, but it sounds like something I have available to me as an option to move a seat easily and quickly between an old Rutland thwart and putting it on the boat's thwart...

The seat is permanently mounted to a swivel plate that is permanently mounted to a piece of wood. It is then secured to either the Rutland plank or the boat's thwart using a pair of Velcro straps...

Glencorse12May19_2596.jpg

Brora-2019_9989.jpg

Like all Velcro, the straps taken seconds to put on or take off.

I remember someone mocked the Velcro straps as being insufficient, but they are rock solid. If you lean back, the back of the seat would snap off before the straps gave way.

I tacked non-slip rubber matting to the underside, just for extra rigidity and to protect the surface of the thwart it is sited on.

Short-mount20Apr19_9905.jpg

Col
Great idea Capt did you use hookand loopstraps

Gary Roe

I bought a seat for my boat. I use them in my fishing boat AND my duck boat. I can sit in this chair in soaking wet waders and still have some air flow. Between the kids, dogs, hunting partners, pressure washer, snow, ice, rain, heat, freezing temps and generally all around ROUGH life in a duck boat, this seat has yet to miss a beat. Its used as a step getting in and out of the boat carrying way more weight than we should and it has yet to stretch out even a little bit. I bought mine based on a recommendation from a spoonbill fishing guide that changed all his seats out to these, and I recommend them to everyone I meet now too.

tarmangie

I bought a seat for my boat. I use them in my fishing boat AND my duck boat. I can sit in this chair in soaking wet waders and still have some air flow. Between the kids, dogs, hunting partners, pressure washer, snow, ice, rain, heat, freezing temps and generally all around ROUGH life in a duck boat, this seat has yet to miss a beat. Its used as a step getting in and out of the boat carrying way more weight than we should and it has yet to stretch out even a little bit. I bought mine based on a recommendation from a spoonbill fishing guide that changed all his seats out to these, and I recommend them to everyone I meet now too.
Hi Gary what is the seat and do you think it would be available in the UK.

Latest posts