best boat seat

blobmancometh

whats best boat seat please
thinking between airflo comfort deluxe or the rutland one
thanks

Rob Edmunds

Between us ...My wife, Me , my Son and Dad have 5 boat seats.....3 x Airflo and 2 x Rutland.

The last 3 I've purchased have all been the Airflo Deluxe with back rest.....( don't even consider a seat without a back rest !!)

Having used them all for many years, my personal preference is Airflo Deluxe....because it's lighter and folds down into a smalker space, meaning its easier to fit in the car with rods, cool boxes etc

After about 4 or 5 years regular ( 2 x weekly) use the foam seat part will be knackered....new foam covered in an old pair of oil skins, or waders is the best and easiest fix I've found...

blobmancometh

many thanks rob for the reply
im a big lad 17 stone so will give it a test fish 3 times a week usually

Rob Edmunds

I'm a member of the 16 stone club .🤣🤣

If you motor straight into a big wave say 15mph+ and the boats bouncing about . ...I find it best to sit on the boats actual seat ( if it has one) .....16 stone bouncing up and down has snapped both the Airflo and Rutland seat , in my experience 😭

speytime

I've had a Rutland, Airflo comfort zone and a Airflo comfort zone swivel.
The swivel is ridiculously @ 25lb+ the regular comfort zone is lighter but the Rutland is easily the lightest of them all.
Iirc they are tested with 15 stone

speytime

It might be worth considering some sort of upright for under the seat, a couple of feet of 2x2", it should be simple enough to work out some way to fix it under the seat with a wing nut, elastic whatever.

Al
many thanks rob for the reply
im a big lad 17 stone so will give it a test fish 3 times a week usually

original cormorant

What you should consider as well as comfort and durability is ease of fixing and unfixing.

Straps that I have are a pita.

If you don't have an issue with transport then fixing an airflo/TLD to a thwart board is an option. My TLD seat has been strapped to an old rutland thwart for local fishing.