Best CDC?

lenok

Hi All,

I usually use Swiss Super Select CDC but recent packs have been below the very high standard I’m used to. As anyone got suggestions for other cdc suppliers ?Need to be top quality as for delicate river patterns etc

Cheers

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerryjordan

Troutline CDC Ultra selected 50 feathers.
These are from Lucian Vasies in Romania. They have just stopped delivering to the UK because of HMRC tax regulations now imposed since Brexit, but Joel at Tungsten Beads may still be importing it wholesale. Don’t get the “Big Packs Top Grade” - not brilliant IMHO.
If no luck there perhaps try Cookshill? They do their own - their products are generally excellent.

boisker

Cookshill are by far the best value... the average feather isn‘t huge, but is an ideal size for f flies, split wings etc, there is always a bit of waste to pick through... if you are used to using really large feathers individually picked cookshill may not be for you, partic for using with a pettijean tool.
I always have a large bag of cookshills as the average size is perfect for sizes 12 and smaller and the normally some super select from trout line when I want a slightly larger feather.

rfcellis

I rate petitjean cdc. I counted the feathers in a recent bag I bought - 161. Pretty much all around the 5cm mark. The exception is the #7 which I think are a similar size to the bulk bags (ie3cm) if of a better quality.

Cam

Cookshill are by far the best value... the average feather isn‘t huge, but is an ideal size for f flies, split wings etc, there is always a bit of waste to pick through... if you are used to using really large feathers individually picked cookshill may not be for you, partic for using with a pettijean tool.
I always have a large bag of cookshills as the average size is perfect for sizes 12 and smaller and the normally some super select from trout line when I want a slightly larger feather.
I agree 100% with boisker. Cookshill have many excellent products but their CDC is a bit small if you are tying patterns such as a Petitjean CDC parachute Mayfly. I just purchased 4 packs of Petitjean CDC feathers (1gm) The length is good but I have found quite a few crooked, bent feathers that don't fit well in the petitjean magic tool. It may just be a bad batch.

The Troutline packs frpm Tungsten beads look to be good shape length , although I haven't seen them in the flesh and at £3.99 per pack of 50, plus postage they work out at more than 11p per feather ( I haven't counted how many feathers are in a Petitjean pack, and they aren't cheap either), maybe a job for tomorrow !!

Cam

lenok

Great many thanks for the replies guys. I will give them a try. My last pack of Swiss CDC had lots of bent and crooked feathers, the stems which used to be thin were also much much bulkier. Shame as they were always my go to and I didn’t mind paying the high ticket price as almost all the feathers in the packet were quality.

Thanks again

L

boisker

Great many thanks for the replies guys. I will give them a try. My last pack of Swiss CDC had lots of bent and crooked feathers, the stems which used to be thin were also much much bulkier. Shame as they were always my go to and I didn’t mind paying the high ticket price as almost all the feathers in the packet were quality.

Thanks again

L

That’s why I like the cookshill... as the feathers are smaller the stems are nice and thin... I mostly use cdc direct tied to the hook as wings so thin stems are essential on smaller hooks and I don’t need long feathers...
stuff like this...

I don’t normally respond to ‘which’ cdc thread, purely as people have such widely differing expectations.... I used to just buy the pricier large feathers, but found no benefit to the usual style of fly I tie.

Last edited:

lenok

That’s why I like the cookshill... as the feathers are smaller the stems are nice and thin... I mostly use cdc direct tied to the hook as wings so thin stems are essential on smaller hooks and I don’t need long feathers...
stuff like this...

I don’t normally respond to ‘which’ cdc thread, purely as people have such widely differing expectations.... I used to just buy the pricier large feathers, but found no benefit to the usual style of fly I tie.

Thanks Boisker, those are the sort of flies that I’m tying. Yours looking very good btw! Mostly I don’t go larger than size 16 unless tying mayflies & Caddis etc

Cheers

L

wobbly face

Lucian's Troutline Ultra Select is by far the best. If you want dyed feathers then look no further.
I use a lot of cdc and tried Cookshill and Petitjean. If you want large feathers then forget duck cdc and look for Goose. Goose isn't quite as webby as duck, you do have the stems to contend with though.
I use the stripped fibres from the stems, they help make a very light but very buoyant fly. (y)

rfcellis

Reading petitjean’s cdc book (combined with my limited understanding of the buoyancy of rooster rachises) my impression was a lot of the buoyancy in cdc bodies flies comes from the stem/rachis itself. Have I got that wrong?

I also agree re a number of kinked stems in packs but don’t find that an issue when using the clips and magic tool so long as I square the fibres to the rachis before inserting into the clip and no prep necessary if using the feather whole for the body.

Cam

stuff like this...

The Quill bodied fly looks like you have used the Mallard CDC. I have a bit of the Mallard CDC from Cookshill, Steve advised that it is smaller than the other CDC he offers but is more bouyant, so it is probably more suitable for the smaller sizes. And it is pretty good value for money !!

baca157

One more for Cookshill. Steve’s feathers are small because them wild ducks don’t make them any bigger.

My understanding is that large CDC feathers are from ducks bred in captivity.

I was lucky enough to buy a large bag of feathers like that on BFFI couple years ago. Don’t remember who from though:rolleyes: Saying that, I still didn’t find much use for them and always use the small feathers from Steve.....

Cheers,
Sebastian

lenok

Thanks for all the replies guys.I’ve ordered some from Steve, the mallard and normal cdc and also some different Swiss CDC. I will report back

Cheers

L

Overmiwadrers

I have bought a couple of 5 G packs from Bogdan ( BG fly fishing ) lots of nice large feathers and impressed by the length of fibres. Well worth the money ,

O M W