Best dry fly rod

ohanzee

The reason you can't get a best rod, or an authentic opinion on what the best rod is, is because no one has tried them all.

fishing hobo

I don't really get it when people ask for a "dry fly rod". I use a full flex to fast, tip actioned rod depending on what rod I take on the day. It must be a marketing ploy...

taffy1

My personal choice is the Airflo 8'6" #4/5 Streamtec on my South Wales rivers. That's not going to suit everyone though. I had the opportunity to try-before-I-buy at Fishtec in Brecon before I purchased it.

LukeNZ

One man’s meat is another man’s poison..🙃 But if you just want everyone’s opinion as to what they would buy; am more than happy to share my view.

For trout single hand - Sage X in the length and weight you require is beyond excellent precision. Good for river fit rainbow’s 1/4lb. - 6lb. fish, in my opinion (I have the 3wt.).

For trout spey, two handed - Thomas & Thomas DNA 11’ft. 6”in. 3wt.(Spey) for dry fly with a Scandi line and greased leader. Good for the same fish as above.

For Salmon, and wider rivers, two handed Spey - Sage X 13’ft. 9”in. 6wt. - for salmon dry fly, for sea-trout wet fly, Tongariro rainbows winter run - streamer. A 4lb. river run Rainbow can give this rod a really good bend, though getting well into the butt at 10lb. fish would be at the top end on the river, for my heart health..

I have all the above, and many more exotic trout spey rods besides - but these would be my dry fly choices.

Last edited:

Robbo5

I don't really get it when people ask for a "dry fly rod". I use a full flex to fast, tip actioned rod depending on what rod I take on the day. It must be a marketing ploy...
Makes things easier when you can take a dry fly rod and a nymphing out on the river with you. Not every rod is suited for evert situation.

Carlos

weather, size of the river and so on. However, Hardy Demon 3 piece 8' 4# is the rod I will never part with .... I think they discontinued it 10 years ago though.

ohanzee

I'd plump for a Sage One, or Orvis helios..that gives you the choice of tip or mid flex, over budget but pick up a second hand one and its at the lower end of the price range.

taffy1

11 posts in (12 including this) & you have had a few suggestions/recommendations from a variety of anglers, what,where & how you fish your water/s will dictate your need. As already mentioned, what's comfortable to one angler may not be the same for another.

LukeNZ

Makes things easier when you can take a dry fly rod and a nymphing out on the river with you. Not every rod is suited for evert situation.
Dry flies are quite air resistant and a rod which is a bit more speedy, or tip stiffer keeps it all tracking straight and accurately, whilst helping to straighten out the leader too - as you are relying on speed rather than mass to do that, with a dry.

Furled leaders can help, but if you were going that route, you could also just use a shorter leader/cast to achieve the same; spookiness probably being the same for the tip of the fly line, or a furled leader. You can grease both to the same effect too.

LukeNZ

I reasonably think, as anglers, we seem to emphasise more on a rod than actual technique on how to present a dry fly, isn't it all about presentation & mastering that technique?
With practice we could make a broomstick suit our purpose, but a Burkheimer, Meiser, T&T , or Sage are totally sublime and superior in every way compared to that...

Fly casting artistry becomes even more of a joy, the more we invest in both time and money.

🙃

LukeNZ

Was just looking at what the UK retailers sell the Sage X for! Much more expensive than here.
I have seen them in Gun City in Napier for as little as NZ$1199 about UK£625.
Glasgow AnglingCentre has them at UK£899!