Best dubbing

shortcircuit

This answer is like the answer to a lot of other questions: it depends !

For dry flies, the best is something like Spectra Superfine or SLF dubbing. This is easy to dub and you can create nice smooth slim bodies with it.

For nymphs, you generally want to go with something a bit "buggier" i.e. with hairs that stand out a bit from the body. For this, there are few things better than hare's ear (although I hear Pine Squirrel is meant to be very good also)

There are a couple of great videos here on selecting which part of the hare's mask to use for dubbing, and how best to use on a fly

You get loads of dubbing from one hare's mask, they are great value

running bear

Easiest thithng to dub is without doubt veniards glister dubbing, the 'crinkle' makes it so easy. Great for adding a sparkle to the thorax of a tungsten nymph, although you do dub it, I think it's a stretch to call it a dubbing.

suzzy buzzer

The easiest materials to dub are soft naturals with plenty of underfur, hare, squirrel for example, or fine synthetics like superfine, or fine wool type roving. These may not suit your needs though, what are you tying?

I do agree with the previous comment in this thread regarding seals fur, if you can use that proficiently, you can use anything! But I would suggest it could be a frustrating learning curve if trying to learn by yourself.

GazzaDale

The easiest materials to dub are soft naturals with plenty of underfur, hare, squirrel for example, or fine synthetics like superfine, or fine wool type roving. These may not suit your needs though, what are you tying?

I do agree with the previous comment in this thread regarding seals fur, if you can use that proficiently, you can use anything! But I would suggest it could be a frustrating learning curve if trying to learn by yourself.
I will be tying mainly nymphs and suspender buzzers

roger h 10

This answer is like the answer to a lot of other questions: it depends !

For dry flies, the best is something like Spectra Superfine or SLF dubbing. This is easy to dub and you can create nice smooth slim bodies with it.

For nymphs, you generally want to go with something a bit "buggier" i.e. with hairs that stand out a bit from the body. For this, there are few things better than hare's ear (although I hear Pine Squirrel is meant to be very good also)

There are a couple of great videos here on selecting which part of the hare's mask to use for dubbing, and how best to use on a fly

You get loads of dubbing from one hare's mask, they are great value
Thanks for a VERY interesting video (y). I use pine squirrel a lot, makes great mini zonkers and the waste fur is excellent dubbing for small dries and emergers,floats all day!

Paul_B

Everyone will have their preferences and as I've mentioned before, if is to float I prefer Alpaca hair if its a guzunder then its hares ear or mask (y)

Juneau

I use a lot of hare's fur, but I don't use the mask just the body fur. I trim the top half inch off which has the gold outer fur plus the dark tips and part of the darker root. I don't go down into the soft underfur. This fur then goes into a coffee grinder and out comes the easiest and most effective dubbing fur. Chopped Litebrite can be added to it, or if you are feeling bold try chopping some deer hair and blending that in. Got that one from Roman Moser some years ago. Good for sedges.

ackroyd

Take the quantity of seal's fur which you need, spread it in the palm of your hand, spit on it, roll it up in a ball between your palms, then spread it out and dub accordingly.

pentlandflyman

Anyone that can dub with MATURE seals fur can also conjure up the devil, baby seals fur is quite easy and the best all round dubbing imo, use it sparsely and don't use any wax.

Juneau

Do I have to face east and mutter some ancient rites at the same time😁

I will give it a try, thanks.
Very often seals fur fresh from the packet is all lined up straight by which I mean that all the fibres are side by side. This makes it difficult to dub successfully so when I find this I just dump the whole pack in the coffee grinder and give it a quick spin. This separates out the fibres and makes the whole lot much easier to handle. Stick the lot back in a small plastic bag and its ready for use until used up.

Latest posts