Best Fishing Programme ?

tommythis

What's your favourite ?

Nice to see Screaming Reals back on again

Anything involving Chris Yates is worth a look

Rex Hunt ? Gotta be rhyming slang !

DAS

Anything with Paul Young (Hooked on Scotland, Hooked on Fishing, Fishing Roadtrip USA......) is always entertaining. I've also become a fan of Henry Gilbey, his enthusiasm and sheer at joy simply to be fishing is infectious. A Passion for Angling is also a classic, which I can watch again and again. The Oliver Edwards shows, which I've only seen one or two of, looked very informative and I'd love to see them again.

The worst? Well, Trout 'n About barely classifies as a fishing programme, John "The chuckling fool" Wilson should hang up his rods and retire and Screaming Reels shouldn't have been shown first time around, let alone be repeated. And please, please don't lets get started on Rex Hunt.......

MARAZION MIDGE

yep i like paul young and some of the botham on fly stuff was very good wish i had some of the donegal fly sets he gave away they looked the real deal

sewinbasher

DAS said:
Anything with Paul Young (Hooked on Scotland, Hooked on Fishing, Fishing Roadtrip USA......) is always entertaining. I've also become a fan of Henry Gilbey, his enthusiasm and sheer at joy simply to be fishing is infectious. A Passion for Angling is also a classic, which I can watch again and again. The Oliver Edwards shows, which I've only seen one or two of, looked very informative and I'd love to see them again.

The worst? Well, Trout 'n About barely classifies as a fishing programme, John "The chuckling fool" Wilson should hang up his rods and retire and Screaming Reels shouldn't have been shown first time around, let alone be repeated. And please, please don't lets get started on Rex Hunt.......
I like Paul Young's programmes which are a very nice balance between travelogue and good fishing. Henry is very good but suffers from severe over use of superlatives which becomes tedious after a while. The best angler (not fly angler) on TV is Matt Hayes although his presentation can also be a bit annoying at times.

We all knock John Wilson and Rex Hunt but John got TV fishing going in the this country and is actually not a bad angler, it's just the "whoops" and inane laughter, and Rex's enthusiasm for C&R got my son started on the right road.

John Bailey really gets up my nose (Sky 280) as he spouts so much total crap it's hard to believe. There was a pretty decent series called Fly Fishing round the World or something like which finished on Sky 250 on Friday featuring various celebs fishing in nice places around the World.

Passion for Angling is pure class from the photographic point of view but I find Bob and Chris a bit sychophantic and wouldn't be surprised to see them crawl out of the same sleeping bag! The Compleat Angler is not bad with the self deprecating Geoffrey Palmer.

I never really enjoyed Screaming Reels' style but there were some good bits dropped in amongst the garbage.

Oliver Edwards is just superb for technical fly tying and presentation style but limited in the number of programmes which are more instructional DVDs than TV programmes.

A real gem overlooked by most is Fishing for Wild Images which is mostly shot in Australia but with very high quality camera work and good fishing.

If I had to watch just one it would undoubtedly be Hooked on Fishing with Paul Young.

sewinbasher

DAS said:

I like Paul Young's programmes which are a very nice balance between travelogue and good fishing. Henry is very good but suffers from severe over use of superlatives which becomes tedious after a while. The best angler (not fly angler) on TV is Matt Hayes although his presentation can also be a bit annoying at times.

We all knock John Wilson and Rex Hunt but John got TV fishing going in the this country and is actually not a bad angler, it's just the "whoops" and inane laughter, and Rex's enthusiasm for C&R got my son started on the right road.

John Bailey really gets up my nose (Sky 280) as he spouts so much total crap it's hard to believe. There was a pretty decent series called Fly Fishing round the World or something like which finished on Sky 250 on Friday featuring various celebs fishing in nice places around the World.

Passion for Angling is pure class from the photographic point of view but I find Bob and Chris a bit sychophantic and wouldn't be surprised to see them crawl out of the same sleeping bag! The Compleat Angler is not bad with the self deprecating Geoffrey Palmer.

I never really enjoyed Screaming Reels' style but there were some good bits dropped in amongst the garbage.

Oliver Edwards is just superb for technical fly tying and presentation style but limited in the number of programmes which are more instructional DVDs than TV programmes.

A real gem overlooked by most is Fishing for Wild Images which is mostly shot in Australia but with very high quality camera work and good fishing.

If I had to watch just one it would undoubtedly be Hooked on Fishing with Paul Young.

fontinalis

I thought a Passion for Angling was one of my favourites, i still enjoy watching them now. It's nice to see people catching fish without having to have the latest gear - something which appeals to me and keeps things in perspective.

I enjoyed Reel War's first time around but always thought it would have been better pitching maybe John Wilson against Matt Haye's. I did contact the makes but there reply was that they had no intension of a second series.

frankie-g

a passion for angling for the camera and wildlife paul young hooked on scotland . But the two fishing documentary type programes that i can remember most were hugh falkus SALMO THE LEAPER & TROUT AND THE FLY, by Brian Clarke and John Goddard i think both were world about us type programes from around 1977-79 great stuff:) the old benson and hedges fly fishing videos were not bad allso with Arthur Oglesby, bob church ect ect

PS some of the ROMAN MOSER material is allso exellent

sedgeking

programme?

Hi everone!:D
All the programmes have their pros and cons,like most things,as you cant please all of the people all of the time.But you cant take it away that it coverage of our sport albeit a token guesture cosidering the number of anglers who would subscribe to the 'gentle arts' given good coverage.
On a visit to the States i was green with envy that early doors viewing consisted of prospects for the day/season in various forms of fishing and hunting -and that was 7 days a week.
This difference is caused by the mamby pamby attitude of 'top brass' in this country who err on the side of caution in their programme content.
Knowing quite a few of our home grown presenters, believe me' they would give their high teeth make good footage but are constrained from above.
Then to compound it we get ex Big Brother as champions of our sport.:rolleyes: -But as i said we got to start somewhere!

Just as a footnote :Out Of Town with Jack Hargreaves- the orignal that i ran home from school to watch:D:D:D-Before the need to be politically correct

Dunbar

I just received 2 DVDs by Andy Nicholson - 'The Enigmatic Sea Trout' and 'The Occasional Salmon'. The presenter has a certain comedic value (unintentional) which I found amusing. They are interesting programmes, albeit focussing on a fair bit of spinning, worming and spooning. Also, they not for the C&R orientated, but then again they were filmed in '94.

The Otter Startler SJF

The best - Probably Big Brother.

Why? Because my Wife and Daughter watch it avidly and know I hate it, I am then encouraged to go to the river on sumer evenings sewin fishing rather than "ruin" the program with my grumbling. Result!

Last edited:

outofwater

A River Somewhere
Rob Stitch?

Fly fishing the worlds alright. Just a range of different species including ocean species on flats sight fishing.

The rest are great.

andrew

Hi

splash2 said:
A River Somewhere
Was that the programme with the two Australian guys ? A few years ago there was a programme on BBC N.Ireland called Big Six. The presenter, Darryl Grimason fished around Ireland trying to catch specimen blue shark, bluefin tuna, common skate, conger eels, pike and ferox trout. The programme won a Royal Television Society award and made very good viewing. Darryl wrote a book about his life fishing and the making of Big Six, it is called Reading the Water and got good reviews from Jack Charlton and Paul Young. It is one of my favourite books and if you want to read it, you can get it on Amazon.
All the best,
Andy.

Urban Ali

splash2 said:
A River Somewhere
Fantastic - 2nd series was not as strong as the first - they had a bigger budget and just wanted to travel I think - but still great :)

snaggit

Jack Hargreaves loved his banter and the poor cameraman who had to flit from one spot to another as jack spotted something else of intrest:eek: By the way he brought angling to mainstream tv;) Passion for angling has to be number two, two anglers "chalk and cheese" and last but not least the Korda series , very informative for carp anglers and alike, good underwater camera work;)

sewinbasher

andrew said:
A few years ago there was a programme on BBC N.Ireland called Big Six. The presenter, Darryl Grimason fished around Ireland trying to catch specimen blue shark, bluefin tuna, common skate, conger eels, pike and ferox trout. The programme won a Royal Television Society award and made very good viewing. Darryl wrote a book about his life fishing and the making of Big Six, it is called Reading the Water and got good reviews from Jack Charlton and Paul Young. It is one of my favourite books and if you want to read it, you can get it on Amazon.
All the best,
Andy.
I have that book and it's excellent. I've been watching the Sky channels to see if it gets repeated but no luck yet. I'd particularly like to see the episode with the blue fin tuna. Darryl also made a very nice series about fishing in Ireland, he has a really nice style of presenting.

DownStream

There was a series of programs with Joe Brown (the climber) - I saw only two;

In one he was ambling along a (very)narrow ledge around the plunge pool for High Force in order to get into position to cast a fly... If ever a man looked "at home on a rock" that is the shot.

In the other there was a six hundred foot abseil from a sea cliff in the north of Scotland (Wester Ross?) to doo some fairly ordinary Sea fishing from the half tide rocks below.

I'm intrigued to hear about "Hooked on Fishing"/"Hooked on Scotland" - because I've never seen either but a couple of weeks ago I bought one of Paul Young's rods in a charity auction.

Last edited: