Best knot for strong Kings

If you’ve ever fished for Kings during the run, you know how powerful these fish are ; feels like you just hooked into a freight train when you got one on!! That being said , I hooked into a HUGE on a couple days ago , looked like it was a 4 footer , and , after fighting it for almost 15 minutes , he finally broke me off at the fly and won the fight ? I usually use an improved clinch knot to tie my fly into the tippet and same for the tippet attachment to the barrel swivel ; is there a better knot I can use for this situation? Thanks 😊

taffy1

Hangman's knot, never let anyone down. On a serious note, the grinner knot is a very close resemblance & gets very good reviews as to knot strength. Sorry to hear of you losing that fight.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
If you’ve ever fished for Kings during the run, you know how powerful these fish are ; feels like you just hooked into a freight train when you got one on!! That being said , I hooked into a HUGE on a couple days ago , looked like it was a 4 footer , and , after fighting it for almost 15 minutes , he finally broke me off at the fly and won the fight ? I usually use an improved clinch knot to tie my fly into the tippet and same for the tippet attachment to the barrel swivel ; is there a better knot I can use for this situation? Thanks 😊
When you say "broke me off" was it the tippet that failed, or was the knot a failure?
Would have been a bit of curl in end of tippet if was knot. Would have been straight tippet if it had been break.
Only asking, as same knot to fly/lure has landed me some heavy beasts.
regards
Bert

When you say "broke me off" was it the tippet that failed, or was the knot a failure?
Would have been a bit of curl in end of tippet if was knot. Would have been straight tippet if it had been break.
Only asking, as same knot to fly/lure has landed me some heavy beasts.
regards
Bert
Yes , good point ; it was the knot I believe as I Do recall a squiggly end of tippet was all that remained and no fly . Thanks

tangled

All the well known knots are strong enough (so long as you tie them correctly).

But all knots weaken a line, sometimes by as much as 50%. Nylon's knot strength is stronger than fluorocarbon, possibly because fluorocarbon is denser and the bending forces applied by tying a knot affect it more.

A wind knot is more likely to fail than all other knots, if you caught one of those, it becomes the weakest point.

Normally, you won't know whether a line broke at the hook knot or not because there's no way of telling. (A knot that simply fails, leaves a tell-tale curly pig tail.) it's possible that your line was weakened in other ways than knotting - abrasion, stretching from pulling from a snag, wind knots etc.

The takeaway from all this is to use a well known knot that you can tie well without thinking about it and test it like a madman. Use nylon unless there's a reason not to, overweight your line suitable to the conditions and fish size and don't use 'pre-stretched' or super-thin diameter lines as their shock resistance is much lower than standard line. Check your line often for knots and abrasions.

What line and line strength were you using?

Double uni aka grinner knot. Never had one fail. Also what strength tippet were you using?
I use 15lb test for my tippet material and 30lb for my leader. I think that should be about right because Ive noticed when I go too big on the tippet, my # of takes decreases cuz they probably see the line (I think).

All the well known knots are strong enough (so long as you tie them correctly).

But all knots weaken a line, sometimes by as much as 50%. Nylon's knot strength is stronger than fluorocarbon, possibly because fluorocarbon is denser and the bending forces applied by tying a knot affect it more.

A wind knot is more likely to fail than all other knots, if you caught one of those, it becomes the weakest point.

Normally, you won't know whether a line broke at the hook knot or not because there's no way of telling. (A knot that simply fails, leaves a tell-tale curly pig tail.) it's possible that your line was weakened in other ways than knotting - abrasion, stretching from pulling from a snag, wind knots etc.

The takeaway from all this is to use a well known knot that you can tie well without thinking about it and test it like a madman. Use nylon unless there's a reason not to, overweight your line suitable to the conditions and fish size and don't use 'pre-stretched' or super-thin diameter lines as their shock resistance is much lower than standard line. Check your line often for knots and abrasions.

What line and line strength were you using?
Im using Amnesia Hi-Vis Red 30 lb for my leader material and Seaguar 15lb flouro for my
tippet; maybe should go to mono for tippet (Ive heard its stronger in knots than flouro , that's the only reason I mentioned)

tangled

Im using Amnesia Hi-Vis Red 30 lb for my leader material and Seaguar 15lb flouro for my
tippet; maybe should go to mono for tippet (Ive heard its stronger in knots than flouro , that's the only reason I mentioned)
I guess the break was in the Seaguar. Here's a quote that made me think

“Seaguar Grand Max Fluorocarbon line was tested it averaged a breaking strength of 9.98lb without a (Uni) knot and only 5.99lb with a knot. ”

That's not to demean Seaguar or the uni knot, that's what happens when you put any knot in any line; particularly so for fluorocarbon. 40% drop in strength is not unusual. It gets worse if you use 'double strength stuff. If you really want to frighten yourself

“I tested 6lb (0.22mm) Maxima Ultragreen against 6.4lb (0.22mm) Greys Fluorocarbon by hanging 48” lengths of each from my garage ceiling joists and attaching a 1lb weight.

I then dropped the weight fom 47” then inch by inch until the lines broke from the dead drop.

The fluo broke at an average of 3” while the Maxima broke at 14”.

The same test with Sightfree G3 6lb, 0.18mm fluorocarbon broke at 2"

In contrast 6lb 12oz, 0.17mm Reflo Power which advertises itself as resin impregnated mono and is therefore presumably nylon broke at 9”.

That's a simple test you can do yourself, and shows fluorocarbon's much lower shock resistence. I'd love more results.

Nice; I actually did a little test earlier in which I put on heavy gloves and held the fly while my girlfriend held the rod and tightened the drag all the way, simulating fighting a King. I was actually able to break the flouro with a fair amount of effort and even the 30 lb Amnesia with considerable effort. To my chagrin, In each case, the break occurred on the line itself and not the knots that I had tied!! Makes me wonder about the line strength of all my leader/tippet material actually :oops:

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Nice; I actually did a little test earlier in which I put on heavy gloves and held the fly while my girlfriend held the rod and tightened the drag all the way, simulating fighting a King. I was actually able to break the flouro with a fair amount of effort and even the 30 lb Amnesia with considerable effort. To my chagrin, In each case, the break occurred on the line itself and not the knots that I had tied!! Makes me wonder about the line strength of all my leader/tippet material actually :oops:
You broke 30lb amnesia with the girlfriend holding the rod?
You both related to popeye?
regards
Bert

I was surprised too; it is possible I had the 15lb on and isn't realize cuz both spools are next to each other on my necklace and are high-vis red . Maybe I made a mistake?

speytime

I would agree with tangled most knots are strong when tied right, however some are easier to tie right than other, a grinner is reliable and simplicity to tie.

Al

Latest posts