Best quality Fly rod/Reel makers?

tangled

It's only choice for some. Price limits choice.

But the analogy with cars is mistaken. There is a diference noticeable to evertne between a Dacia and a, well, any other car. Not so with rods. They all look the same from a social distance and putting aside different actions can all do the same. The price of a rod does not predict its performance. Expensive rods can be poor and cheap rods can be good.

And any rod is good in a good caster's hands.

GEK79

It's only choice for some. Price limits choice.

But the analogy with cars is mistaken. There is a diference noticeable to evertne between a Dacia and a, well, any other car. Not so with rods. They all look the same from a social distance and putting aside different actions can all do the same. The price of a rod does not predict its performance. Expensive rods can be poor and cheap rods can be good.

What is it they say a bad workman blames his tools.. Yeah its price its taste its choice its technique possible a small. Amount of ego but that's the sport.. Same in football are my Nike boots any better than your umbeo boots.. Its just t a choice..price may be a limit in all things some can afford expensive rods and cars and stuff some can't buy we all make the most of it.. I'm happy with what I have your entitled to think what you like when you like that's choice.. All on here have made their choices

Oldbones

They always say get the best you can afford, so What is priority, rod, reel or line.
I always have good line, always, rods, well known makes but the lower end of that particular makers offerings.
Reels, I did have a reel, that let me down, so I never took it fishing again, well known make as well.
So I invested in the cheapest high quality reels I could actually hold in my hand, before I bought them, now I have three of them. Yes I am fortunate, but its taken time and effort to accumulate these. I really do look after them as well.
I don't buy rods or reels now. Most of my stuff is from orvis.

arawa

The price of a rod does not predict its performance.

Slightly tongue in cheek, I am pretty sure on the road Lewis Hamilton in a Dacia would beat me in a Ferrari :)

lhomme

I've been very lucky and grateful to count Guido Vinck amongst my close friends. He became 7 times world champion precision casting back in those days and taught me a couple of things about the distinct differences between a good rod and a mediocre one, from the blank up to the way they were built into rods. They may appear subtle or overrated to the average angler and maybe even go unnoticed, but to those with a natural feel for it they make all the difference. Especially at the delivery end over long distances. I believe he's on the Loomis pro team now and still casts a mighty long straight line. You're fly needs to be the dot on a perfect i he used to say and you don't need brute force to achieve that, just a good tool and a lot of training. I never doubted his authority and carried out what he confided to me, made me a decent caster, but nowhere in his league.

GEK79

They always say get the best you can afford, so What is priority, rod, reel or line.
I always have good line, always, rods, well known makes but the lower end of that particular makers offerings.
Reels, I did have a reel, that let me down, so I never took it fishing again, well known make as well.
So I invested in the cheapest high quality reels I could actually hold in my hand, before I bought them, now I have three of them. Yes I am fortunate, but its taken time and effort to accumulate these. I really do look after them as well.
I don't buy rods or reels now. Most of my stuff is from orvis.
I was looking at an entry level orvis encounter outfit 200 euro line reel rod case.. Excellent value from a reliable brand..

tangled

Slightly tongue in cheek, I am pretty sure
Nope, I can show objectively that the price of a rod does not predict its performance.

And it's not just the rod either; put the wrong line on a good rod and it'll be a combination that a far cheaper but properly balanced rod and line will outperform. And by far cheaper I mean 15 to twenty times cheaper.

All modern rods over a price point of, say, £50 are very good indeed. The myth that premium priced rods are somehow magically different is a marketing ploy playing off the days of handmade rods when build quality quality was there and obvious.

lhomme

Nope, I can show objectively that the price of a rod does not predict its performance.

And it's not just the rod either; put the wrong line on a good rod and it'll be a combination that a far cheaper but properly balanced rod and line will outperform. And by far cheaper I mean 15 to twenty times cheaper.

All modern rods over a price point of, say, £50 are very good indeed. The myth that premium priced rods are somehow magically different is a marketing ploy playing off the days of handmade rods when build quality quality was there and obvious.
FYI, all rod blanks are handmade, doesn't mean they're all made equally well or even with the same quality of materials. Everything comes with a price, in mass production even time is money.

tangled

Can you please name a poor expensive rod and detail in what terms it is 'poor'?
I suggest you read the 'cost of rods' thread.

'Poor' means that some expensive rods were objectively out-performed (accuracy at various casting distances) by cheaper ones.

The only statistically valid correlation I've ever found is between price and quality of fittings and then it's not much.

boisker

Trouble is your objective results rely heavily on two US shop run comparisons... one of whom (Anderson and his famous shop) seem to have a very strong preference against all Sage rods... they repeatedly mark them well below other ‘premium’ rods makers... not in any objective sense, purely on the basis it doesn’t meet their ‘design requirements’...
i don’t own, and never have owned, a Sage rod... but Andersons whole review fails in any objectivity.

but the premise that not all expensive things are good and/or better than cheap versions holds true for most things...

tangled

Trouble is your objective results rely heavily on two US shop run comparisons... one of whom (Anderson and his famous shop) seem to have a very strong preference against all Sage rods... they repeatedly mark them well below other ‘premium’ rods makers... not in any objective sense, purely on the basis it doesn’t meet their ‘design requirements’...
i don’t own, and never have owned, a Sage rod... but Andersons whole review fails in any objectivity.
I'm willing to bet that if I took all Sage rods out of the analysis I'd get the same results. If it ever rains again, I'll give it a go.

There are also two sets of tests; the Yellowstone and the Trident. Same result.

But I would love to see some real double blind testing done. Dip every rod in whitewash and give them to 50 qualified casters. I'd bet my house we'd all be surprised.

arawa

But I would love to see some real double blind testing done. Dip every rod in whitewash and give them to 50 qualified casters. I'd bet my house we'd all be surprised.
Just as with truly “blind” wine tastings. Or the scandals where very ordinary wine was being labelled as premium, and charged accordingly, without people noticing.
But whatever, I am very happy with my collection of rods - and it really does not matter what other people think.

willie_r

I've got a Rimfly King-size, also made by British Fly Reels......
I have two Orvis Reels both made by the same people who made reels for the likes of Leeda , British Fly Reels,the Orvis Rockie Mountain reel were made by these people, easker1

Jeltz

I know when it comes to coarse fishing rods, the price of the rod makes very little difference, even a broom handle will hoike a 3oz lead off into the distance. Even though you can now spend over a grand on a rod and reel to coarse fish, you would have to be mad to waste that kind of money when you can get a kit for 20% of the price that works exactly the same if not better.

The only difference I have noticed between fly rods is, the more expensive ones are lighter, that is important as it allows you to fish longer. As for fly reels, I have noticed some people on here have some very expensive fly reels, all a fly reel does is hold the line.

As to quality, all rods and reels made these days are of good quality IMO, bar the cheapest rubbish like Fladen fly rods which I bought once to try out, 20 quid for a new fly rod, I had to try one out for that price. I never got to use it, the bloody rod broke while I was setting it up.

PaulD

I suggest you read the 'cost of rods' thread.

'Poor' means that some expensive rods were objectively out-performed (accuracy at various casting distances) by cheaper ones.

The only statistically valid correlation I've ever found is between price and quality of fittings and then it's not much.
I have read the 'cost of rods' thread, a time of my life which has no lasting value.

You obviously didn't read my post and question . . .

'Can you please name a poor expensive rod and detail in what terms it is 'poor'?'

tangled

I have read the 'cost of rods' thread, a time of my life which has no lasting value.
The full answer is there. said many times over.

'Can you please name a poor expensive rod and detail in what terms it is 'poor'?'
Yes I can, but you'll have to wait until I can be ar$ed to go back into the data again. Alternatively, you could, as I say, go find it in the thread If you really cared.