Best quality Fly rod/Reel makers?

PaulD

The full answer is there. said many times over.

Yes I can, but you'll have to wait until I can be ar$ed to go back into the data again. Alternatively, you could, as I say, go find it in the thread If you really cared.
Strange that it's such a problem, I'd have thought such information would be memorable.

PaulD

The full answer is there. said many times over.
Yes I can, but you'll have to wait until I can be ar$ed to go back into the data again. Alternatively, you could, as I say, go find it in the thread If you really cared.
This it?

"How many times? Here's where the data comes from and it describes what they do and what they test.

2016 5-weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler

It's full of things you can say "ah but to" but it's the data we have. If you have any other, I'll happily look it over."

Good Ol' Yellowstone Anglers and the redoubtable George Anderson. Here are a couple of examples of George's 'rod wisdom' from the 2020, 5 weight shootout . . .

"Craftsmanship is undeniably better on the most expensive rods, and with a few exceptions they perform better than the less expensive rods. But will they make you a better angler? Our answer is almost always YES! The more expensive, top performing rods have the ability to throw tighter loops, are dampened better so they track far better, to give you more accuracy and better presentations at all distances."

"Just about any rod can turn over a 9-foot leader, but only the best casting rods can turn over a 12-foot leader at short distances like 25 feet."

Utter tripe!

tangled

No, that's not it. Apart from that link being broken, I used data from three or four Yellowstone tests, a couple of Trident tests and a Sexyloops test. Not a single test from a single tester.

All produced the same result. There is no correlation between the price of a rod and its performance.

Utter tripe!
I agree.

And I suggest that if you want to continue this discussion about what's in the cost of rods thread that you first read it, then take it up there. I'll happily join you.

BobP

When I retired back in 2011 I bought myself a Sage Z-Axis 10' #5 for reservoir use and never regretted it for one moment. I'd sooner not go fishing than leave that one at home.

Reg Wyatt

When I retired back in 2011 I bought myself a Sage Z-Axis 10' #5 for reservoir use and never regretted it for one moment. I'd sooner not go fishing than leave that one at home.
I'd rather use a broomstick than not go fishing.

Reg Wyatt

Reg Wyatt

It's only choice for some. Price limits choice.

The price of a rod does not predict its performance. Expensive rods can be poor and cheap rods can be good.

And any rod is good in a good caster's hands.
After fifty something years of trying pretty much every rod, reel and line made, speaking with ghillies, manufacturers and fellow fishers that sums it up perfectly for me Tangled. Thank you.

Reg Wyatt

BobP

I'd rather use a broomstick than not go fishing.

Reg Wyatt
Having started my fishing life at the age of 6 using a hazel stick for a rod I'm not overly keen on returning to that state.

As I have already stated elsewhere, I don't care what other people use or don't use. The OP asked for a personal opinion, but what he makes of it is up to him. I've used everything from free up to blo*dy expensive and I know what I'd rather be using on any given day.

Mind you, it could be exciting using an 8' hazel wand on the Test! The nearest I'm prepared to go in that direction is a tenkara rod which I have used on the Test, the Itchen and the Kennet and caught browns up to 4lbs on it. The period between hooking and landing is interesting.

Last edited:

lhomme

Having started my fishing life at the age of 6 using a hazel stick for a rod I'm not overly keen on returning to that state.
Those were the days. No "difficult" choices to make back then, just plain fishing and being mesmerised by all wonders of nature. The plastic age was still around the corner.

original cormorant

Yeah really, unless you are sea fishing, then you might need something robust for blue marlin or great whites. 😃
And guess what lots of us do. Any bonefish over 2lbs will take backing you don't just need it for sailfish and sharks.

Also about once each season a reservoir rainbow takes me into the backing (actually 2 so far since lockdown) and I believe big river salmon fishers also appreciate having a bit more string.

iainmortimer

And guess what lots of us do. Any bonefish over 2lbs will take backing you don't just need it for sailfish and sharks.

Also about once each season a reservoir rainbow takes me into the backing (actually 2 so far since lockdown) and I believe big river salmon fishers also appreciate having a bit more string.
Seconded - it happened to me with 5 out of a 6 fish limit just last week as fish went nuts in clear deep water! Likewise when mullet or bass fishing...

Go buy a cheap reel with jumpy drag and you’ll regret it right down to the horrible feel just when pulling line off to make a cast. Made the mistake once with an otherwise lovely reel - never again.