Best rod and reel for under £200

Al F

Hello,

I am a complete beginner to fly fishing and currently looking at getting a rod and reel combo to start me off. My current choices are:

1. Greys K4ST X £90
2. Redington path 2 £160
3. Orvis encounter £189

I am aware that the line can be pretty awful on these combos so might need replacing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

noel

And in this case cheap does not mean nasty , have a read of the Maxcatch thread and if you read in reverse you will see my 1st fish of the day in yesterday's post .

Reactions: ejw

Tangled

Welcome to a world of confusion :)

Of your 3 choices I would go for the Greys as it was recommended highly to a friend of mine by a rather shocked instructor and guide who'd just been using it. Cheap equipment is now very nearly as good as very expensive stuff, as you'll see in the Maxcatch thread.

The line will probably be good too as these days the Chinese are churning out exceptional lines for not much money. The Maxcatch (again) Eco line is £3.50 and as good as the most expensive.

One possible advantage of the Greys over Maxcatch is that they have UK customers support so breakages can be recovered from quickly. (The gear itself with almost certainly be Chinese anyway. Even their most expensive rods are Korean.)

But do read the Maxcatch thread - at least the last 100 posts or so if money is an issue. For general understanding try this.

Understanding Carbon Trout Rods

jc123

you could also make your own kit up, opens up a lot more options..

what size your after ?

if your after a kit, another kit i'd look at is the Guideline Kaitum or Guideline Laxa kits
Kaitum is 9ft for 5 or 6 weight, and Laxa is 9ft 6" for 7 weight, seen it at £179. or £189, with Favo reel line & bag

looks a good kit, not tried it but every guideline rod i have are great,

Last edited:

vital

Shakespeare do a combo deal too, also Airflo. I have gear from both these brands and they are always excellent quality and great value for money. Just search for them online and make your choice.

Returning Dave

The Greys K4ST is a cracker for a starter kit, but be aware, Greys have a tendency to snap just above the top join, as happened to me, whole kit was replaced and I've not had trouble since, the line is great too.

Al F

The Greys K4ST is a cracker for a starter kit, but be aware, Greys have a tendency to snap just above the top join, as happened to me, whole kit was replaced and I've not had trouble since, the line is great too.
What is the warranty on them?

Tangled

What is the warranty on them?
Normal 12 month warranty against manufacturing faults - if a rod has one it'll turn up as soon as you get a decent fish on or when you first cast it. It happens to all brands of rods regardless of cost.

£30 for a replacement section.

I've hammered two Greys GR50s - a #5 and a #7 - for 5 years and broken them three times. Once poking it into a tree, once on an electric car mirror and once playing a salmon. The playing a fish episode probably happened because I'd hit it with treble hook earlier; I'd caught hundreds of fish on it by then.

In the same week I also broke the tip off a Sage Xi just casting it and my mate broke a 14' MacKenzie. Another guy broke a Loop.

Al F

Normal 12 month warranty against manufacturing faults - if a rod has one it'll turn up as soon as you get a decent fish on or when you first cast it. It happens to all brands of rods regardless of cost.

£30 for a replacement section.

I've hammered two Greys GR50s - a #5 and a #7 - for 5 years and broken them three times. Once poking it into a tree, once on an electric car mirror and once playing a salmon. The playing a fish episode probably happened because I'd hit it with treble hook earlier; I'd caught hundreds of fish on it by then.

In the same week I also broke the tip off a Sage Xi just casting it and my mate broke a 14' MacKenzie. Another guy broke a Loop.
Blimey you break a lot of rods

ROVER

Is it me missing something, or, has anyone actually enquired what style of fishing the OP intends to do, rivers, streams, small stillwaters, reservoirs???? Pretty fundamental I'd say before offering advice of what to buy!

My advice would be to investigate where you might want to go fishing and then if you can book a session with an instructor, then think about kit afterwards after receiving advice and deciding if its for you.

Last edited:

Tangled

Good god man!!!!!! What better way to put someone off starting fly fishing - death by 2000 posts of mainly useless information🥱. If the OP wants a general understanding, definitely DONT read that is my advice🚫🚫🚫
The idea is to read only the first post.

Paul_B

Hardrar has a Pflueger Trion reel for sale in the classifieds, a nice reel that will last, rods are better if you try before buying and your taste will change as you progress, the maxcatch rods are a starter until you're in a position to know what you want.

I've 2 Greys rods that I use a lot and like a lot, however I don't bash them with gold heads so haven't broke one. I did however get a rod tip stuck in the car window when it was shutting, I had two goes at closing it before I realised what was up and it didn't do it any harm, thank goodness.

Latest posts