Best sighter for euronymphing

shieldr

Hi, been trying to get into this game, euronymphing, with limited success. I have been using Cortland 2 tone sighter material, as advised by lance Egan, but really struggling today to see it. Would appreciate any help on this topic.

Cheers, Richard

daniport

A friend put me onto Soldarini thread; here is a link although unfortunately its in Spanish. I use 20 feet of 0.18 and its the best indicator line I have used. just make sure its the pink and yellow bobbin, it puts super visible on it.

Here is the link:Hilo indicador de picada bicolor soldarini (super visibilidad) | Adams Fly Rods

This line is being used by a lot of the competitors here in Spain.

icejohn

Fold the indicator in half to make it thicker and more visible. Basically they all the same stuff. The thicker the more visible. If you lucky enough to be in a fips rules comp then you will have to o buy 0.28 indicator as that about as thick as you can go with it. Basically 0.28 is very visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boisker

I’ve tried quite a few different makes, but under tricky light conditions they are all pretty damn hard to see.
One option is to leave tags when you tie your leader up, another option I use if I am really struggling is adding a small ‘backing barrel’.. The Backing Barrel | Troutbitten

G

guestrd

Rio 2 tone indicator nylon is the best and most visible I have used , the 2x is about 0.22 diameter .

mebu

Or, use a looped bicolour braid (from such as Tungsten Beads Plus) which is easy to see, on the end of the french leader, then add your tippet, maybe 5ft, to this. On occasions I have also added a small moustache of Loon strike-out to the indicator to make it even more visible: I find that one you have seen the indicator it's fine, the trouble I find is in spotting the indicator as soon as it lands on the water.

haggstock

On my to do list is to make up a few more indicators from Rio Bi-Coloured nylon . Essentially, I replicate expensive pre made indicators .

I cut the line to the lengths I want , then join those lengths with blood knots, alternating the colour . I cover each blood knot with a blob of UV resin , colour the blob with a black marker , then another coat of UV . You can build the “ blobs up to any size you want . Rolling the line between your fingers before setting the resin produces a nice neat bead . Add a Riverge ring at each end .

wobbly face

It may be a case of try a few different types, certain ones will work better on some days. I've tried Hends comp bi colour but it's a fine diameter, Cortland bi colour is thicker. I also added some plain white mono which can help. Braid indicators are great and come in 3 different thickness (beside colours and colour combo) and different lengths. The thickest braid has a foam cylinder inserted. Then you have plastic beads on mono or braid, coiled indicators, you could go New Zealand (wool), foam and bungs. Be aware that thicker indicators, foam, wool can get blown about. Then it's time to change tactics.

danielp

Like most things with fly fishing it always pays to remember the best option for a given day is always a compromise. In this case between visibility, sag and turnover.

When light conditions allow I go for the thinner end of the spectrum, the thinner indicators weigh a lot less. Less weight = Less sag = Better presentation at range across a flow

When light is more challenging go a bit thicker and accept that you will get more sag.

There is a similar compromise to consider when building the leader itself, long light line for less sag, stiffer heavier mono for increased turnover (duo/dry fly etc).

I avoid the braid indicators completely, that is more weight than i am willing to compromise for in nearly all circumstances.

Many thanks,

pedros

I too use the Cortland bi-colour. Generally just add a Backing Barrel as previously suggested. Avery quick and simple solution when necessary...

BobP

Gosh! You chaps don't half like making things complicated. When I go nymphing on a river and need an indicator I just use a bit of natural sheep's wool attached New Zealand style on a leader about 12' long. You have to be blind not to see that on the water, and being white it looks a bit like a feather which the fish see lots of.

When I want to switch to dries I just take off the wool, tie on a dry and off we go once more. Takes at least a minute to do.

cgaines10

Gosh! You chaps don't half like making things complicated. When I go nymphing on a river and need an indicator I just use a bit of natural sheep's wool attached New Zealand style on a leader about 12' long. You have to be blind not to see that on the water, and being white it looks a bit like a feather which the fish see lots of.

When I want to switch to dries I just take off the wool, tie on a dry and off we go once more. Takes at least a minute to do.
Different style of fishing :whistle:

pedros

A good point BobP, and if it works for you then fine. However, many of us may spot complications on only using a 12' leader tied to the flyline if your tight lining...

BobP

Well, it's a set up that's worked pretty well for me for a lot of years at home and abroad, on chalk and freestone.

Mrtrout

I’ve tried quite a few different makes, but under tricky light conditions they are all pretty damn hard to see.
One option is to leave tags when you tie your leader up, another option I use if I am really struggling is adding a small ‘backing barrel’.. The Backing Barrel | Troutbitten
I often leave tags on my tippet it helps enormously, well advised.
S.

baztek1

I would stay well away from braid indicators as they all cause drag in the slightest of beazes which means that control and contact is lost, and control and contact is the whole point.

The hanak bi colour and the rio two tone are as good as any.

Like Danny the rio is my preference. But none are perfect they all suffer in certain light conditions.

The diameter will depend on what type of mono leader you are using, if its tapered then the indicator has to compliment the taper if its straight through then you can use what you want.

I know guys that use .16 straight through when conditions allow.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

eddleston123

My eyesight is pish. So I just use a great big wrap around yellow foam indicator.

I don't suppose you could call it 'Euro' nymphing, but like Bob's method it works for me.

Douglas

shieldr

Thanks all. Comments have given me lots of options and stuff to think about....I tried the backing barrel this afternoon for an hour leaving 1” tag and found it absolutely superb. All I need is some fish that are in the mood now. Have to say it is far more complicated than chucking a a cascade tube across and down as I have been used to recently 🙂👍

Last edited: