Best tippet for competitions

dave b

Lee I have a spool of 5lb on it's way in the post :thumbs:

BobP

The one you use all the time. A competition is the last time you need to be messing around with your set up.

D

Deleted member 8214

Ultragreen is ultra reliable. A competition is neither the time nor place to be trying out temperamental tippet materials.

jasonjm

Lake comp -> Airflo G5, Trouthunter and Orvis Mirage (old one, not the new one). Currently keen to try out the new Fulling Mill Fluoro as well. Dry fly its Rio Powerflex or Maxima Ultragreen.

Rivers -> in the 5x-7x I go for either Hanak, Scientific Angler for nymphing. Dry fly I use Varivas leader with Rio Powerflex tippet

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
The one you use all the time. A competition is the last time you need to be messing around with your set up.

Makes sense to me ,if it ain't broke dont fix it ,we all have our favorites my trout bag has asso ,stroft and maxima in various diameters and i am happy with those at present and it would take a lot to shift my opinion.
for my sadly limmited salmon fishing I like seagar ,mainly because unlike nylon it has a much longer shelf life .
please note i work on diameter ,not breaking strain .
my rule of thumb is for standard cove style nymphing about the diameter of the old Winfeild nylon that woolworths sold back in the dark ages .That was good stuff and I liked the price !

sagecirca

Twenty comp anglers will give you twenty different answers. As is almost everything in fishing, confidence is key. Stick to what you are confident in and not what someone else uses.

But to answer your question, I have used Stroft ABR in several Fips Mouche events without problem and for still waters I use G3 Sightfree for pulling. I use Rio Powerflex for dries on stillwaters and on occasion I have used Rio Flouroflex Plus.

Last edited:

robbie

Hi There,

Flouroflex Plus is not as thin as it says on the label. (I have measured it with a checked micrometer and trained as an engineer in another life. :)

Therefore it may not be as strong as it also says on the label. It is however expensive so that number is correct!

Ordinary Flouroflex and Powerflex measure as per their labels with the same micrometer and user.

So I am not sure what I was paying for with the Plus so have stopped buying it and now just use Airflo G3.

The advice on not using anything new in a competition is sound. Doing so cost a friend an England place a few years ago.

Best Regards

Robbie

Rob Edmunds

AS has been said before you will get many different answers if you ask for leader recommendations....it depends on the water you fish, your set up and fishing style, however ask 100 good competition anglers and I'd bet that over 95% would always use Flurocarbon over mono.

Flurocarbon is better (for the majority of methods and almost all situations) than monofilament ie Maxima - anyone who thinks differently is just wrong !...it's as simple as that.

Don't go by the stated breaking strain on the spool , instead go by diameter..

I consider Froghair to be the absolute best leader material available...8.8lb for nymphs, and 11.5lb for pulling......for dries I use either 6 lb Froghair flurocarbon or 8.2lb Rio Powerflex ( co-polymer)

Froghair is very expensive and I only use it for competitions.....for everyday fishing it's Airflo G4 in 11 lb for everything except dries...

speytime

Maxima is very reliable, fluoro less reliable but has the benifit of sinking faster which can be beneficial depending what depth you want your flies at.

Al

dgp

My go to tippet for dry flies is Frog Hair copolymer. ( just reinforces the suggestion you stick with what you have confidence in !)

JCP

When you spend as much time on the water as one tackle consultant poster here does and has there is little room for debate in my view.There is another former ''World Champion'' who uses the same tippet on the reservoirs.If budget is a consideration then there are good alternatives suggested.I have seen with my own eyes Fluorocarbon 3 & 4 fly nymph rig totally outfish Maxima Ultra Green from a drifting boat demonstrating the ''fit for purpose'' properties of quality fluorocarbon.No doubting the pedigree of Maxima.Fit for purpose and strength for diameter is the key for Competition Reservoir fishing if this is the advice the OP is seeking.

JP

goldenolive

For River competitions I use Soldarini Fluorocarbon, utterly reliable and strong in smaller diameters like 0.10,0.12,0.14mm. its expensive and I only use it for competitions, for playing around I use Stroft GTM.

For lake competitions where I am after larger fish I have absolute faith in Frog Hair Fluorocarbon, its bloody brilliant.
many times I have seen the difference between catch rates when my boat partner was using a different/cheaper fluorocarbon and I was using Frog hair.
The reason I go for frog hair in the larger breaking strains is that it has a small bit of stretch in comparison to the Soldarini fluoro.

speytime

When you spend as much time on the water as one tackle consultant poster here does and has there is little room for debate in my view.

JP

I can understand why you would think that Jp it logical, but earlier in the year I was surprised to see a guide that posts regularly didn't know the difference in density between fluoro and nylon :noidea:

Al

JCP

Not thinking it Al.I am convinced because I have had first hand experience of the chaps I am referring to.Where I mostly reservoir fish we have two other outstanding professionals who have all the T-Shirts.Has saved those who listen a lot of wasted time.

JP

trout_bum1

If you are buying expensive fluorocarbon, and I cannot think of a good cheap one, when you are fishing and get a tangle which is going to take up far too much of your competition time to untangle do not bin it.
I keep several zip lock bags for my knitting. When I get home and have time I do my best to unravel then cut this leader material most would have binned, into dropper lengths for future leaders.
It is amazing just how much of your leader material you can save doing this as you will have hundreds of readymade, cut to length droppers. And another thing: there are those who will you YOU MUST NEVER EVER USE FLUOROCARBON WHEN FISHING DRIES! Okay. Now watch the very same so called experts inform you just how to fish dries from a drifting boat with mono as their leader.
What is the first thing they do...get out some mud usually fullers earth or Hunt’s brand or suchlike then apply to their mono so it sinks. Then tell you to fan cast leaving your flies on the water for around 10 seconds then recast and so on. Sweet Jesus. You think a fluorocarbon leader is going to drag your dries down quicker than mud on mono not to mention how mud on mono looks: like a big thick hawser rope. Bullshit baffles brains comes to mind.

Just my two pence worth.

Last edited: