Best tippet for competitions

BobP

And another thing: there are those who will you YOU MUST NEVER EVER USE FLUOROCARBON WHEN FISHING DRIES! Okay. Now watch the very same so called experts inform you just how to fish dries from a drifting boat with mono as their leader.
What is the first thing they do...get out some mud usually fullers earth or Hunt’s brand or suchlike then apply to their mono so it sinks. Then tell you to fan cast leaving your flies on the water for around 10 seconds then recast and so on. Sweet Jesus. You think a fluorocarbon leader is going to drag your dries down quicker than mud on mono not to mention how mud on mono looks: like a big thick hawser rope. Bullshit baffles brains comes to mind.

Just my two pence worth.

The only other person on here who has spotted this. Always makes me laugh does this thing about fluoro dragging flies under in seconds. In fact, when I use fluoro for dries whether on river or lake I always have a slight feeling of disappointment when the flies stubbornly stay afloat despite the best efforts of the leader material.

Wee Jimmy

What is the first thing they do...get out some mud usually fullers earth or Hunt’s brand or suchlike then apply to their mono so it sinks. Then tell you to fan cast leaving your flies on the water for around 10 seconds then recast and so on. Sweet Jesus. You think a fluorocarbon leader is going to drag your dries down quicker than mud on mono not to mention how mud on mono looks: like a big thick hawser rope. Bullshit baffles brains comes to mind.

Just my two pence worth.

Firstly...the point of using fullers earth isn't to drag the leader under.Its to allow the leader (both fluorocarbon and nylon) to cut through the surface film.Once it has achieved that ,it washes off more or less immediately. Fluorocarbon once it is through the film, absolutely does run a greater risk of dragging the fly under because its denser than nylon. Thats a fact...not bullshit.

Secondly, not everyone subscribes to the idea that we need to lift off every ten seconds to fish dries effectively.

Ignorance is bliss I guess.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mrnotherone

from Sunray:

"Fluorocarbon is only slightly heavier than nylon, around 0.64 to 0.74 grams per cubic centimetre. This is a difference of maximum 0.000074 grams per centimetre of a 0.10 mm diameter tippet. One meter tippet of 0.10 mm diameter will be 0.0074 grams heavier than the nylon. This tiny difference will not make a nymph sink faster! In the overall picture and in flowing water, this minuscule value is negligible".

Makes sense to me. So much marketing BS with fluoro. If you want to spend 2 or 3 times more for all those "benefits" - your choice !

speytime

Tested with a 8" jug of water on my bunker and 3" of airflo 0.23 and 3" of maxima 0.23 measured with micrometer
Maxima nylon 19 seconds for 8"
Airflo G3 fluorocarbon 7 seconds for 8".
Of course that's not exact but it does demonstrate the huge difference between the two materials.

Al

Last edited:

fruinfisher

Just looked it up- specific gravity of nylon = 1.15 and fluorocarbon =1.77 ( they weigh 1.15 and 1.77 grams per cc respectively) , ie fluoro weighs 1 1/2 x that of nylon( water is 1.0)

BobP

Just looked it up- specific gravity of nylon = 1.15 and fluorocarbon =1.77 ( they weigh 1.15 and 1.77 grams per cc respectively) , ie fluoro weighs 1 1/2 x that of nylon( water is 1.0)

So, how many grams are there in a 3' 0.14mm tippet, and is that going to drag a dry fly under the water in the time it takes that fly to drift 6' on a river?

mrnotherone

Tested with a 8" jug of water on my bunker and 3" of airflo 0.23 and 3" of maxima 0.23 measured with micrometer
Maxima nylon 19 seconds for 8"
Airflo G3 fluorocarbon 7 seconds for 8".

During your experiment, how did you manage to see the G3 when it's 'nearly invisible' in water? :D

speytime

During your experiment, how did you manage to see the G3 when it's 'nearly invisible' in water? :D

went over both with a black marker, i also use a dash of fairy to stop it hanging up on the surface tension.
Needless to say when i 1st tried without the black marker I couldn't see it ;)

Al

dgp

i also use a dash of fairy to stop it hanging up on the surface tension

The surface tension is the problem !!. In my experience flurocarbon is more of a problem than copolymer and that's why I never use flurocarbon when fishing dries.

Paul_B

Airflo G3 at 0.23 =10lb,

Maxima Ultragreen at 10lb = 0.3

However with Airflo G5 the nearest to 0.23 is the 11.2lb at 0.235

testing the sink speed lb for lb would be a better test :)

speytime

Airflo G3 at 0.23 =10lb,

Maxima Ultragreen at 10lb = 0.3

However with Airflo G5 the nearest to 0.23 is the 11.2lb at 0.235

testing the sink speed lb for lb would be a better test :)

No absolutely not the same diameter for both materials is important the breaking strain is irelevant.
. 23 G3 = 10lb says the label?
. 23 maxima 6lb
Eta
It's a simple test anyone can do if you doubt the results.

Al

Last edited:

fruinfisher

So, how many grams are there in a 3' 0.14mm tippet, and is that going to drag a dry fly under the water in the time it takes that fly to drift 6' on a river?
0.0162 and 0.025 g . This was more of a reply to post 23. If the specific gravity was 0.6 it would float like a cork . Doubt it would make much difference on a river, different on a Stillwater though and also depends on how long you leaveyour flies sitting .that’s if my geometry is Correct if course!

Last edited:

Paul_B

double post

- - - Updated - - -

No absolutely not the same diameter for both materials is important the breaking strain is irelevant.
. 23 G3 = 10lb says the label?
. 23 maxima 6lb
Eta
It's a simple test anyone can do if you doubt the results.

Al

The breaking strain is very relevant, I fish dry flies with a 7LB line that is 0.185 diameter I would expect to catch quite as many fish using a length of string, no matter how buoyant it was.

speytime

The weight and length are totally irrelevant BobP it the density that's important.

Paul?
The breaking strain is irelevant for testing purposes imo you must test like for like or people try to poke holes in the results, as above density is the important factor.

Al

Paul_B

The weight and length are totally irrelevant BobP it the density that's important.

Paul?
The breaking strain is irelevant for testing purposes imo you must test like for like or people try to poke holes in the results, as above density is the important factor.

Al

OK :)

Perhaps we should leave it for fish to judge

speytime

Now that I think about it feet and inches are integrated into fly fishing, rods are in feet, head lengths are in feet, casting distance in feet, polytips and sink tips are feet, tapers are in ft, fish are measured in inches
tippet is normally in millimetres.
That's my excuse anyway ;)

Al