Best tool for debarbing hooks.

• Thread starter Deleted member 87854
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87854

As above, as I am just getting back into fly fishing I have a good collection of flies however they are barbed so what’s the best way to make them barbless?

3lbgrayling

I bought a Crimping tool from a company called Pecision. this has been the best tool ever IMHO for debarbing

Jim

bobmiddlepoint

If you have a fly tying vice you don't need to buy a barb squashing tool, simply squeeze the barbs down in the vice jaws. Done thousands of hooks like this without am issue.

Andy

Scotty90

Fly vice is the best tool for it, if you dont have one those little pliers Jim put up are good too but you can buy them from any tool shop like screw fix etc for peanuts.

colliedog

I bought a Crimping tool from a company called Pecision. this has been the best tool ever IMHO for debarbing

Jim
I wish I had seen them before buying a pair of specific crimping pliers last week.

However on the river bank a pair of forceps have always done the job for me.

Banksie

It’s all done at home so I use a small pair of needle-nosed pliers to break the barb where it leaves a nice ‘lump’.

deddog

I remove the barb with a diamond needle file, it leaves a tiny burr that keeps the fly in the patch on my vest but the hook usually falls out in the net when a fish is landed.

Banksie

Slightly off topic: on larger hooks I put a fine ‘chisel end’ on the main hook point instead of a needle point. I always take a small sharpening stone to buff up when needed. I’ll even open the gape ‘ever so slightly’ so that I can only just see a difference. This, I’ll admit is for coarse fishing where hooks seem more expendable. Just some thoughts.