Best Wading Boots???

Bert

Right guys, I need some advice on what everyone thinks is the best wading boot on the market at the moment. This topic has probably had overkill at this stage but I'm looking for a decent pair of boots that last more than one season. Why can't manufacturers get their act together in producing a decent hardwearing pair of boots that last a few seasons without the soles falling apart.

I've had felt soles with studs but won't go felf anymore because of environmental reasons, the felt soles fall to pieces after a while anyway. I've had rubber soles with studs and I've had the same problems, soles fall apart never lasting more than one season.

Orvis and Greys forget about them. Scierra Dynatrack soles same apart after less than one season. Saw rave reviews about the Hardy EWS wading boots and have had the same problem with the rubber sole starting to come apart after only a few outings, very disappointed with them. I'm sick of spending money on wading boots especially when they don't last. Anyone got any ideas. Thinking Simms but are they worth it, will they last longer than the others.

Macmagoo

Get yourself a pair of Korkers Guide boots and you can choose which soles to use as they can be changed. I have felt & stud, rubber walking soles, Klingon soles and I am waiting on a pair of Klingon & Studs. They are the comfiest wading boot I have owned. The other advantage is the boa laces which make them easy to get on and off.

Spider

Bert, I'm in the same boat as you and need to buy boots for the new season.

I tend to fish the same river about 70% of the time so will probably go for felt, with studs.

Rubber only is pure dangerous according to some, so defo go with those studs.

I'm surprised you have written off Orvis. Why so ?

Bert

Bert, I'm in the same boat as you and need to buy boots for the new season.

I tend to fish the same river about 70% of the time so will probably go for felt, with studs.

Rubber only is pure dangerous according to some, so defo go with those studs.

I'm surprised you have written off Orvis. Why so ?

Rubber with studs is the way to go and most manufactureres seem to going this way. I'll stay clear of felt because it easily transmits alien species/fauna etc. to watercourses. New Zealand have banned them and I think it's only a matter of time before other countries do. While I agree they're better for slippery rocks but rubber with studs I'll still go for.

Orvis, I'll never waste money on them again, I have found the soles to be the worst ever that I've used, they never seem to last, a few trips to the river and they've nearly had it.

Macmagoo, the Korkers I don't know much about. I don't fancy bringing a few different types of soles with me to change depending on the terrain I'm on so I'm rather sceptical on them. Simms I'm interested in either the Rivershed or G4, has anyone any views on them, are they worth the money. Any other boots that people recommend?

andrewparkeruk

Simms I'm interested in either the Rivershed or G4, has anyone any views on them, are they worth the money.

Riversheds are excellent boots: like a sturdy modern hiking boot with a sole for walking in rivers ;). I've worn the current Vibram-soled model for 100+ fishing days and they are holding-up very well.

The only reservation I would have is that they aren't easily repairable in Europe. In the USA and Canada Simms has a network of repairers who will resole; Simms Europe not so accommodating ... i've been in touch :( This said I've never before had a pair of boots which lasted long enough to be repaired: all my previous boots fell apart.

horses50

Orvis,Orvis, Orvis used a pair all season great boots plenty of ankle support just watch your sizeing i take a ten and a half shoe but had to buy size 12.I am sure hart flyfishing had same boots as i have cheaper as well.

Spider

Bert, any progress?

Just a question re siumms Freestone boots?

Can they be fitted with studs , into the felt ?

Simms seem to be the most durable out there but i dont want felt only.....

Bert

Hi Spider,

No decision made yet but seems to be between the Patagonia Riverwalker, or the Simms Freestone or G4 wading boots. Do these boots have studs included or do you need to but them separately and put them in yourself?

royvs

Hi Spider,

No decision made yet but seems to be between the Patagonia Riverwalker, or the Simms Freestone or G4 wading boots. Do these boots have studs included or do you need to but them separately and put them in yourself?

The Patagonia have Sticky Rubber Soles but I screwed 4 studs into each heel. Drill a little hole first. Never had a problem.

Spider

Hi Spider,

No further down the line myself Bert. Airflo Xtreme look good , but i reckon they're a killer to get on. Cirrently I'm leaning towards orvis or Simms Freestone, with a few studs drilled in, but would rather not go the DIY route.

I'm amazed you have got through boots so quickly - are you a big heavy man or fishing really rough rivers?

Bert

No further down the line myself Bert. Airflo Xtreme look good , but i reckon they're a killer to get on. Cirrently I'm leaning towards orvis or Simms Freestone, with a few studs drilled in, but would rather not go the DIY route.

I'm amazed you have got through boots so quickly - are you a big heavy man or fishing really rough rivers?

Hi Spider,

I just fish a lot of rivers, a lot of wading on all types of terrain, walking along banks over rocks down banks the usual stuff :eek: A pair normally won't last be for more than one season. I think wading boots are very poorly constructed compared to walking/hiking boots and they cost a fortune in comparison for a weaker product. Felt soles on boots are a nightmare and never last, they're stitched on the outside and if you do any amount of river fishing they come apart and fall off. I thought rubber would be better but still have the same problems. Why can't manufacturers get their act together and create a decent wading boot? I know lots of people have the same complaints.

Maybe Simms are a good product, they might be worth a try but they are pricey. The Patagonia seem to have a few fans as well. The best option may be to buy a pair of hiking boots and drill two holes in them to let out the water :D

Former member 2

I think with the news of the Killer shrimp, we may find that Felt soles may soon have a limited life span in this country.

Bert

I think with the news of the Killer shrimp, we may find that Felt soles may soon have a limited life span in this country.

That's another reason (apart from their lifespan which is limited) why I won't go down the felt sole route. A lot of manufacturers seem to be moving away from felt for that very reason. New Zealand have banned them and it's only a matter of time before other countries do as well so manufacturers are preparing themselves for the inevitable thus the move to rubber soles, aquastealth etc.

Spider

Bert, you may be doing more fishing than me! In fairness though, once i started fishing more, my boots suffered too.

My only concern with rubberised soles is that most people dont rate them, no matter what the sole design .....studs still needed.

If you get a chance , look up LL Beans products ( someone posted a pic of a pair of LL Beans elsewhere ) . They genuinely look the business.

Problem would be buying from USA - especially re fitment.

I reckon that if I go one size up i might get away with it though?

Re Orvis, at least they stand by their products - they have just agreed to give me a new pair of waders after 3 years use...!

ptn

Hi,
Take a look at the Orvis Riverguard Ultralight.
They have a unique (?) rubber sole with large
studs and the uppers are some un-absorbent
material. They are not light but weigh the same wet or dry.
I've had mine a few months, +/- 20 days fishing so I
cannot comment on the durability but they are very
comfortable with good grip both on the bank and
in the water,
Cheers
Bill

Dingbat

If you get a chance , look up LL Beans products ( someone posted a pic of a pair of LL Beans elsewhere ) . They genuinely look the business.

Problem would be buying from USA - especially re fitment.

I reckon that if I go one size up i might get away with it though?

Yanks are big, sizes generally as well esp. in foot width - US foot sizes are one size larger than UK. If 9 then buy a 10