Best way of fishing a snake.

sailingval

What is the best way of fishing a snake. I assume on a sinking line - inter or di3 - but then fast or slow retrieve?

matoakwell

Any line. Any retrieve. Depends what the fish want on the day.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

JayP

The same with any baitfish imitation you want to instill life into it, sink and draw for a dying fish, twitching the rod tip, jerk the line, pulls and pause. I find a constant speed be it figure of 8 or roly poly hardly ever works.

Rob Edmunds

1 method for me....the rest are just too inconsistent

Method ....Roly Poly is the best method by far, any speed , or a combination of speeds ( ie slow then fast spurt).....just get the depth right.

My go to lines are....Fast Intermediate, Di 5...with a 12ft leader of 10lb fluro a 6cm snake and a medium fast Roly Poly

Stick to a white snake......black snake....or olive snake....

If you get a take, don't strike just speed up the roly poly as fast as possible to set the hook.....after 2 or 3 seconds of the fish kicking raise the rod and play as normal.

You're going to have to go a long way to convince me otherwise or that anything else is needed

original cormorant

To mix two threads - this and the one about smash takes - for me roly poly is the prime method for smash take breaks. I know I ought to be using the rod tip to get a bit of a cushion but somehow it's always too much in a straight line from my hand to the fly.

sailingval

Method ....Roly Poly is the best method by far, any speed , or a combination of speeds ( ie slow then fast spurt).....just get the depth right.

My go to lines are....Fast Intermediate, Di 5...with a 12ft leader of 10lb fluro a 6cm snake and a medium fast Roly Poly

If you get a take, don't strike just speed up the roly poly as fast as possible to set the hook.....after 2 or 3 seconds of the fish kicking raise the rod and play as normal.

You're going to have to go a long way to convince me otherwise or that anything else is needed

Thanks, very helpful.

taffy1

Wasn't it Hywel Morgan that said something like MTA or FTA? Mess them around or fool them around, just like teasing a kitten with some wool or string.Just mixing it up a bit & being creative or experimenting. The fish will soon let you know when it's right.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

If that's what I had to do all day to catch fish, I'd just as soon not bother. Better sport from trolling a Rapala, or putting a Toby on a downrigger and maybe getting a properly big fish, such as a ferox. Good sport these days in buying them from a fishmonger (what with the jeopardy of catching Covid), perhaps. Or you could throw a net out, or lob in a hand grenade?

Seriously though... it's desperado stuff, is it not? :unsure:

Col

taffy1

Each to their own it would seem, one man's meat & all that. Do what you enjoy & don't try imposing on others what you enjoy. That's angling, Skues & Halford did it centuries ago didn't they?

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Each to their own it would seem, one man's meat & all that. Do what you enjoy & don't try imposing on others what you enjoy. That's angling, Skues & Halford did it cenruries ago didn't they?

Absolutely. I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm just giving my opinion on it. No one should be telling us that we can't give our opinions, surely? That would be a totalitarian regime. 😜

Cap'n Fishy

Each to their own it would seem, one man's meat & all that. Do what you enjoy & don't try imposing on others what you enjoy. That's angling, Skues & Halford did it cenruries ago didn't they?

By the way - how long can you keep up a roly-poly retrieve for? :unsure:

original cormorant

By the way - how long can you keep up a roly-poly retrieve for? :unsure:
There are two answers - the "clever" one is as far as you cast. The other is all day with the rod tucked under your arm. My hand sort of siezes up if I figure of eight for too many hours no such issue with rolypoly. Roly poly can be used very slowly to just keep in touch with the flies, it doesn't have to be fast.

Scotty Mitchell

If that's what I had to do all day to catch fish, I'd just as soon not bother. Better sport from trolling a Rapala, or putting a Toby on a downrigger and maybe getting a properly big fish, such as a ferox. Good sport these days in buying them from a fishmonger (what with the jeopardy of catching Covid), perhaps. Or you could throw a net out, or lob in a hand grenade?

Seriously though... it's desperado stuff, is it not? :unsure:

Col

Self imposed standards.
I agree with Col, to me it’s a desperado, put as many fish in the net as rapidly as possible, method that just doesn’t sit well with what I go fishing for.
For a start, it’s far too much like hard work for my liking.
But what’s so different in pulling wets I ask myself, something else I can’t be arsed doing..........

Cap'n Fishy

Self imposed standards.
I agree with Col, to me it’s a desperado, put as many fish in the net as rapidly as possible, method that just doesn’t sit well with what I go fishing for.
For a start, it’s far too much like hard work for my liking.
But what’s so different in pulling wets I ask myself, something else I can’t be arsed doing..........

It's more the roly-poly than anything. I can't sit and do that for hours on end. I'm maybe just too old for it these days.

It's a young man's game (and women's - sorry! 😜).

Didn't mean to cause any offence.

Col

Scotty Mitchell

It's more the roly-poly than anything. I can't sit and do that for hours on end. I'm maybe just too old for it these days.

It's a young man's game (and women's - sorry! 😜).

Didn't mean to cause any offence.

Col

I don’t understand why anyone would want to either.
I’m getting quickly to the stage where I even see a sub surface line as an impending ballache I can do without 😃

Cap'n Fishy

There are two answers - the "clever" one is as far as you cast. The other is all day with the rod tucked under your arm. My hand sort of siezes up if I figure of eight for too many hours no such issue with rolypoly. Roly poly can be used very slowly to just keep in touch with the flies, it doesn't have to be fast.

Aye, fair enough, I guess. I can still figure-of-eight all day, no problem, fast if need be. With roly-poly, its the faff of forever tucking the rod under the arm, getting it out to cast, putting it back under, getting it back out, putting it back under... I can't be arsed with it.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

An alternative to the roly-poly is the 'Leven Strip' (aka the 'Rutland Strip', and possibly a few other names), devised to get round the competition rule of requiring the rod to be kept in the hand while fishing (which knacked the use of the roly-poly in competitions).

However, when I try that, it has my shoulder out after just a few casts! :oops:

Here is a photo of John Wayne, in bare feet, doing the Leven Strip on Chew...

Not something you see most days! 🤪

Col

ed_t

What is the best way of fishing a snake. I assume on a sinking line - inter or di3 - but then fast or slow retrieve?
2 different types of snakes but same method for me- sink and draw. Bead head weighted snakes on a floater over shallow water or for upper water work. cast count it down then short fast strips with longish varying pauses. Pull one through the water at your feet and you'll see the nice wiggly motion as it sinks on the pause, and the pull is to get the thing back in line with your line- towards the top with a floater.

Works with inters and sinkers for deeper targeting.

Foam/booby eyed snakes on an inter or sinker but same twitch and pause, so sink and draw works other way round and it is shimmying upwards on the pause

If you feel fish nipping stop and wait for a take. if that doesn't work faster strip, but method 1 works for me.