Better braided loops

rusty

I have used braided loops for years but always thought they were a bit bulky.
Having bought a new #3 fly line I thought I would try to make the braided loops as slim as I could.
Rather than using my normal 30lb braid I used 20lb braid.
Instead of making the loop about 1/2" long I made it only 1/4" long and I made sure the superglue did not go on the start of the look preventing it from being stuck open. The inserted braid section for the loop was kept to under 3/4" and the superglue was spotted so it could still articulate.
The flyline was only inserted into the braid for under two inches. The clear plastic sleeve was 1/2" and superglue was only added at the loop end of the sleeve.
The resulting loop is short, slim and light. It looks good.
A further refinement would be to used a silk whipping instead of the sleeve but maybe I will try that next time.
The result is much stealthier than my loops of the past.

Rusty

original cormorant

Having bought a new #3 fly line I thought I would try to make the braided loops as slim as I could.
Instead of making the loop about 1/2" long I made it only 1/4" long and I made sure the superglue did not go on the start of the look preventing it from being stuck open. The inserted braid section for the loop was kept to under 3/4" and the superglue was spotted so it could still articulate.
The flyline was only inserted into the braid for under two inches. The clear plastic sleeve was 1/2" and superglue was only added at the loop end of the sleeve.
A further refinement would be to used a silk whipping instead of the sleeve but maybe I will try that next time.

Rusty
If you really want minimal, you can also close the loop on a tippet ring and not use any superglue. The whipping does need a minimal coating of some form of varnish.

rusty

Thread would be helped by images, perhaps?
Regret I am not able to add images.
The post assumed that the reader had experience of making braided loops. However if you are not familiar with the process the following video should help.
youtube.com/watch?v=pMzGLmVQnQU
Rusty

rusty

If you really want minimal, you can also close the loop on a tippet ring and not use any superglue. The whipping does need a minimal coating of some form of varnish.
Yes, I accept your suggestion but I am not a fan of tippet rings.
Inserting the fly line into a double thickness braid and whip with fly dressing silk would be an interesting option I have not tried. It could be made very short with the fly line inserted up to the loop. Like your suggestion it need not rely on superglue.
Rusty

boisker

Rusty

I also found them a bit bulky and never really noticed much benefit from the welded loop on a fly line, when those were broken / cracked I just made a new one with heated shrink wrap...

but I have recently put a whipped fly line micro loop on the end instead... I came across Howard C’s video and decided if the current world champion uses them they were probably worth a try...
only cast them on grass so far, but you can get a very small loop and they are very tidy / have no bulk..

rusty

Thanks for the Howard Croston video. It was very good and I think he is getting better at it.
He agrees with me that you want a small loop without superglue holding the loop wide.
He often cuts off the loops on flylines and puts braided loops on or makes a loop from the core. That looks good. Like me he prefers not to use metal rings.
If he prefers loops made from the core to welded loops I wonder why Hardy lines do not incorpoate core loops.
Rusty

bonefishblues

Regret I am not able to add images.
The post assumed that the reader had experience of making braided loops. However if you are not familiar with the process the following video should help.
youtube.com/watch?v=pMzGLmVQnQU
Rusty
I'd better leave it to the cognoscenti I think :)

original cormorant

If he prefers loops made from the core to welded loops I wonder why Hardy lines do not incorpoate core loops.
Rusty
Are any lines made with core loops?
So far as I know core loops are possible only with monocore lines, perhaps Hardy lines (?made by NS?) don't have mono cores.

3lbgrayling

Rusty
Do away with the sleeve.and your good to go.Perfect size and weight I've been doing exactly as you describe for a long time.My only ajustment now.is I Double the loop strand the whole length. for Salmon.

Jim

colliedog

I make twin core loops for all my lines. For 3 and 4 weight lines to keep them slim I pull out between 4 and 6 strands of a 16 strand braid. I avoid superglue which can dry hard and use a waterproof flexible solvent adhesive like Bostic Leather Adhesive. One drop is applied and rolled into the braid before whipping and the whipping given another coat ot two. This is one I did earlier on on a 4wt. Looking at it close up it probably needs a second coat.

20210228_221058.jpg
²

rusty

I make twin core loops for all my lines. For 3 and 4 weight lines to keep them slim I pull out between 4 and 6 strands of a 16 strand braid. I avoid superglue which can dry hard and use a waterproof flexible solvent adhesive like Bostic Leather Adhesive. One drop is applied and rolled into the braid before whipping and the whipping given another coat ot two. This is one I did earlier on on a 4wt. Looking at it close up it probably needs a second coat.

View attachment 36612²
Good to hear some sound original alternatives. The double concept is as per Roman Moser I believe.
Yes, I realise that the sleeve is not the ultimate design. I could use gossamer fly dressing silk but I want to optimise my chance of replacement without cutting the fly line.
I had always used 30lb braid before but feel that the use of 20lb braid is a distinct improvement for lighter fly lines. The braid I have used is grey, which does not have the best looks on an ivory fly line.
Rusty

bonefishblues

Daft story about whippings on braided loops, but for some reason I used black silk on a line - just a couple of very inconspicuous short whippings overlaid with Aquasure.

Blow me if I didn't have a fish completely ignore the fly about 10ft behind and follow the whippings right to the shore :)