Bewl water - any method?

thetrouttickler

Lures are far less likely to deep hook a fish than bait and also flies since they have more hooks. Something like a Rapala is pretty much impossible to swallow without getting hooked in the mouth. So why not just try to ban the specific things that you think are problems rather than citing them as a justification for banning everything other than flies?
I think it is rather nice that there are lure fishing venues which I have no intention whatsoever of fishing (I'm not bothered that some would exclude my method). You fish them to your heart's content. I have no intention of ever fishing with lures (I think it's very dull). But variety is the spice of life. It would be truly boring if we all did the same thing and fished the same places, and even worse if I tried to hinder or impact how or where you choose to fish. There should be a niche for everything and everyone. If you want to fish at Farmoor, I suggest you may wish to learn to fly fish.

I can't ever remember deep hooking a fish with a fly by the way. It doesn't happen with the flies I use. When I was in the U.S. I asked why I encountered so many trout without maxillaries. I was told they were ripped off by lure hooks - a lot of the waters there are mixed use.

Skeletor

What "lure fishing venues" are you thinking of? Seems we get lumped in with "other methods" and banned because "muh sweetcorn". People were using deep hooking as justification for banning other methods and my point is that lures don't deep hook and there is therefore no reason to ban them on that basis.

thetrouttickler

What "lure fishing venues" are you thinking of? Seems we get lumped in with "other methods" and banned because "muh sweetcorn". People were using deep hooking as justification for banning other methods and my point is that lures don't deep hook and there is therefore no reason to ban them on that basis.
I think trout like their maxillaries. They must serve some purpose. Other than that, I don't really care enough about lure fishing to go along with your revolutionise Farmoor campaign, sorry. But I do care about choice of association, and if Farmoor wants to be fly only that's their prerogative. I've suggested how you can join in if you wish.

shropshire_lad

Interesting discussion.

I'll be quite open with my thoughts. Fly fishing attracts me because it has an aesthetic about it and demands significant skill which, frankly, I seem to possess little of. I blanked at Farmoor yesterday but I'm pretty sure if I had been able to chuck in handfuls of maggots and float fish maggots I'd have been hauling them out.

I can see why a water company likes fly fishing as there is little to "pollute" the water although, in practice, this is probably more of a PR thing as the water is treated anyway.

Personally, I'd avoid any mixed method fishery unless it was extensive and lightly fished, Trawsfynydd Lake for example where there is plenty of room for everyone. Farmoor gets pretty busy with fly fishermen as it is.

loxie

The problem is money. Not even AW is immune, Pitsford allows lure fishing for trout at certain times. Most fly fishers are not keen to share with lure fishers for various reasons but as has been mentioned there are not enough fly fishers for many venues to remain fly only.

Post lockdown demand has been very high and it is hoped that this might lead to more Flyfishers in future. Personally I'd rather see fisheries open and viable even if it means any method but it looks weird to me to see people spinning for trout at Pitsford.

shropshire_lad

From the above it is obvious that you are not particularly familiar with Farmoor either. "No reason for any particular area to be more productive"

1) First bend on F2 by Car park 1. This has always been a good and productive area particularly on a westerly breeze.

2) Farm bend past car park 2. This can be very good indeed on a NE wind if you can stand the cold.

3) Car Park 3 on the NW corner in front of the wood. Very consistent.

4) First 100 yards of the causeway when it is open.

5) On F1 the first 50 yards or so of the west bank past the No Fishing sign. It's called Stockie corner for a reason though I have caught some memorable fish from this area.

6) First hundred yards of the causeway. Again very productive.

7) Near the top of the causeway on F1 there is a hut used by the sailing club during races. A good area either side of that and up to the fishing limit.

8) Either side of the green fence.
Bob, you omitted to mention the important shropshire_lad effect which generally renders the above hotspots devoid of fish :ROFLMAO:

Paul_B

Spinning allowed but one single hook only on a water I fish, maggot, caster or worm but strictly no ground bait, trout pellets, sweetcorn etc.
It floats some peoples boat, but siting all day watching a rod end or float is not my idea of fishing.

codyarrow

There are probably fisheries managers or ex ones on the forum that can explain the economics better than me but I have always thought that a fishery that offered a £30 ticket for six fish was working on the assumption that the average take would be for arguments sake two fish per ticket (I have no idea if this is correct, and am only using it for arguments sake). Now if you introduce methods that are easier and more successful at catching, like spinning or maggot, the average number of fish taken will move upwards; and therefore to run a good fishery the ticket price will rise in order to purchase more stock in order to deliver the expected experience.
So in conclusion maybe ticket price should be linked to method used on expected catch ratio?

shropshire_lad

Now if you introduce methods that are easier and more successful at catching, like spinning or maggot
Cody,

Do you reckon spinning is more effective than fly? I know it's condition-dependent but I'm not so sure overall. Maggot I can believe. Loose feeding maggots and then fishing them on say a bubble float would be a killer method. I know from experience years ago on a Welsh lake and a stocked Midlands lake when I was a coarse fisherman. I had shoals of trout feeding on the maggots and, of course, when they take the bait they don't spit it out as it's tasty.

shropshire_lad

I don't believe that for a moment, and we'll prove it wrong either in the autumn or, if necessary, next spring. You WILL catch Farmoor fish.
Thanks Bob. Funnily enough, the Brian Clarke "Pursuit Of Stillwater Trout" book arrived yesterday and I flicked through a few of the introductory pages last night. A great tale of him flogging away at some reservoir doing what it said in the books, catching nothing whereas those around him wading out and making a huge disturbance were catching. Makes me feel somewhat better (y)

hooferinsane

Interestingly looking at the Bewl website it says any method can only be done from boats, which would be better for the bank (fly fishing) angler.
https://www.bewlwater.co.uk/activities/fishing/book-trout-fishing/ (first line under the photo)
I missed this the first time I looked at the website, but it makes it more attractive to me now as I would only bank fish. I had visions of people lining the banks using any method :)

JoeOh

Any method quite prevalent at Walthamstow reservoirs. Fly only during the day, any method at night, including the removal of three nets which would have been originally intended for the capture of pelagic sea fish. Lack of security at night. In fairness the fishery can offer good sport and a season ticket works out at just over a pound a day !
One of the coarse fishing reservoirs was populated by escapee trout from the fly only reservoirs and I had great sport on the fly with grown on rainbows from 3lb up to 8.5 lb. Then the news spread, and the " resident" carp anglers (who didn't care for trout at all) were joined by any method anglers who were quite secretive and fishing for "the pot" or to sell. Fly fishing became a waste of time as the remaining trout became used to feeding on maggots and I returned to the fly only reservoirs. I feel that where there is a demand for any method trout fishing, dedicated waters should be developed solely for it. There are many underused reservoirs and gravel pits that could be run as any method (they do not need to have large acreage), permits charged accordingly with amount of fish retained and any profits passed on to the sustainability of our premier fly fishing waters. A point slightly to the side, but with rumours of giant Catfish lurking in Rutland and Grafham, has there been any reported captures?. As active predators, I would be surprised if the predator anglers would not have met one with the methods they use

original cormorant

Better hope there is no anchoring allowed then.Ensuring no groundbaiting is going on would be more difficult to police.
Any method anglers, as fly anglers, can anchor however fly anglers mostly drift so any method boats anchored in the days best drifts are not helpful. This is really the only issue for fly anglers. There are probably no more inconsiderate any method anglers than fly anglers - there are just more of them.

The rangers can easily check for ground bait as such at the jetty but loose feeding of hook bait is less easy. I don't think maggots are widely used it's more sweet corn and power bait (which comes in various fluorescent blob colours and gets smeared over the boats). A fair proportion of any method anglers are lure fishing - standing up.

Any method can be suspended if there is a major fly competition going on.

THe economics are fairly simple there aren't enough fly anglers to take out 50 boats at £83 a day for 2 anglers every weekend for 4 to 6 months of the year.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Unfortunately this was the view last weekend when I went for a walk around Bewl. the photo actually makes it look like the boats were further apart than they really were. I could see one person fly fishing, and he had his line cast over by someone with spinning gear twice while I was there. Puts me right off even trying the reservoir.

When I did see the odd fish rise it was embarrassing, the trout probably died of shellshocked from the number of lumps of iron and lead that landed on its head.

Steve

IMG_4250.jpg

themind

thetrouttickler, remember this was at the weekend, it may be significantly better during the week, or at the base of the arms entering the main bowl (however I did see loads of boats all anchored their), but the view walking along the damn did totally put me off.

Steve

roadrunner1000

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday . Only counted six boats going out so definitely quieter during the week as would be expected........

themind

I don't get the justification for banning someone fishing how they want when it doesn't affect you fishing and is good for the fishery business.
Pretty simple really, the justification is the fishery rules, its not up to people buying a day ticket to change rule to fit in with what they want, its up to the day tickets to choose a fishery that allows what they would like to do. Otherwise its what's called poaching.

Steve

themind

I was there a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday . Only counted six boats going out so definitely quieter during the week as would be expected........
Thats encouraging, were you fishing? if so I'd be interested in your experience and advice, unfortunately as a river fisherman I look at somewhere that size and don't know where to start.

Steve