Bewl

pigsypete

Has anyone fished Bewl fairly recently and can tell me how it is fishing ?

The current catch reports seem to be a couple of weeks out of date on their website.

Thanks in advance

sakuraba1982

This time last year the reports showed it was struggling in the heat and the catch reports seemed to stop when the fishing took a nose dive

I’m sure the power baiters and warmers are still catching fish though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parrot

I have heard mixed reports from my cronies who fish there. A couple of the guys have had goodish days fishing a DI8 down deep in the main bowl with a booby and buzzer on.

Others have 2 or 3 fish higher up on washing line on a fast glass when there has been some cloud cover.

Most have struggled. I think that even the spinners are struggling at the moment.

These days, for most of my reservoir fishing, I take the trip to the midlands which is a shame really.

sakuraba1982

I have heard mixed reports from my cronies who fish there. A couple of the guys have had goodish days fishing a DI8 down deep in the main bowl with a booby and buzzer on.

Others have 2 or 3 fish higher up on washing line on a fast glass when there has been some cloud cover.

Most have struggled. I think that even the spinners are struggling at the moment.

These days, for most of my reservoir fishing, I take the trip to the midlands which is a shame really.

Can I ask you an honest question? Does the any method fishing annoy you at Bewl?

I have to be a bit careful how I word this but on the opening week this year I had many spinner and bait fishermen parking up on my drift after setting up my drogue

It’s a shame really

sofasurfer

I fished at Bewl on it's opening week and many times afterwards. I would fish there again if it was fly only.

pigsypete

Than you for the replies,

I have to admit I have found it quite a struggle down there this season and have grown disheartened with the place which seems to cater more and more for the any method fishermen. I even resorted to writing to them to express my concerns.

Maybe I should explore further afield to the midlands like Parrot

roadrunner1000

Without stating the obvious Bewl makes most of its fishing income from the any method anglers. I'm predominantly a bank fisherman but in the summer months will take out a boat. My last visit was on a Sunday about a month ago before the weather warmed up. I counted at least 20 boats out on the water. I was the only fly fisherman.
From my own observations the any method guys anchor in one spot and stay in that spot for quite a while before moving. They generally stay in the main bowl, either close to the dam or by the towers. I've only seem them in numbers up the arms during early season. I've seen the odd fish being returned by them which is against any method rules but I've seen far worse over the years from fly fisherman.
I've fished Bewl since 1983 and have no issues with any method being allowed. Without it Bewl would have closed as a fishery six years ago.
If you're lucky enough to be able to fish during the week you'll have 770 acres pretty much to yourself.
I've read opinions that the lack of over wintered fish is due to the catch & kill policy for any method. Back in the six fish limit catch & kill days there were plenty of over wintered fish caught the following season so what has gone wrong ?
Lack of food (not only a problem at Bewl) or the removal of the fish rearing cages ?

sakuraba1982

Than you for the replies,

I have to admit I have found it quite a struggle down there this season and have grown disheartened with the place which seems to cater more and more for the any method fishermen. I even resorted to writing to them to express my concerns.

Maybe I should explore further afield to the midlands like Parrot

I feel exactly the same as you

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
For me getting to bewl involves the Blackwall tunnel ,I was reminded of why my visits to this beautiful place have stopped, sitting for over an hour trying to head through this crossing of the thames in a North bound direction ,having come through the Southbound side looked pretty awful as well.

was a time when Bewl was my go to resser ,but that tunnel aproaches and the any method plus creeping old age means grafham is now my out of town choice,or if feeling up to a longer drive the fish soup resser that is draycote.

linkledger

Fished Bewl most weeks from the time it opened. Caught from boat and bank and it was a really nice place to fish. Use to go into Lamberhurst for lunch and then fish on into the evening.

Haven't been in many a year and won't be going back now it's any method - and I'm a coarse fisherman as well but don't think the two methods mix well. Seem you have a group who go for the sport and another who are just fishmongers.

Bit snobbish but that's how I see it.

Sakuraba what are warmers?

sakuraba1982

Fished Bewl most weeks from the time it opened. Caught from boat and bank and it was a really nice place to fish. Use to go into Lamberhurst for lunch and then fish on into the evening.

Haven't been in many a year and won't be going back now it's any method - and I'm a coarse fisherman as well but don't think the two methods mix well. Seem you have a group who go for the sport and another who are just fishmongers.

Bit snobbish but that's how I see it.

Sakuraba what are warmers?

That would be the wonderful spell checker on my iPad.....I meant wormers

parrot

I do not have a problem with any method fishing in itself. A couple of guys spinning from a boat is no problem. I can even forgive the occasional anchoring across a drift.

What does get my goat is the flagrant breaking of rules - ignoring the 8 fish limit, using multiple rods, no life jackets and ground baiting. I have reported activities multiple times and challenged miscreants myself more than once. I cannot really blames the guys who work there as they have been cut to the bone following the purchase by Markerstudy. It is as if a blind eye can be turned to this as long as a profit is still being made.

Of course, not all fly anglers are a paragon of virtue, but to me, there does seem to be a higher proportion of offenders amongst the any method brigade.

However, the main reason I seldom fish Bewl these days is the lack of fly life. I am told that this is caused by the varying water levels which does make sense. Spend a day on there this time of the year and you will see very little coming off the water.

Fishing Grafham or any of the other midlands reservoirs, you stand a chance of catching an over wintered fish. I cannot remember when I last saw such an event at Bewl.

sakuraba1982

I'm a lifelong fly fisherman.

But just why do some people, including at least two on this thread, seem to think that one way of 'sport' fishing is more 'proper' than any other?

It's real weird :

The lack of etiquette from the any method people I have experienced at bewl certainly taints my view somewhat. When I set up a drift and put my drogue out and then bait fishermen cut in where I had just had a pull on buzzers 30 yards in front of my drift and plonk in yellow power bait

I don’t necessarily mind spinners as it’s no different from fishing lures essentially

But trout are pretty much powerless against powerbait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
The lack of etiquette from the any method people I have experienced at bewl certainly taints my view somewhat. When I set up a drift and put my drogue out and then bait fishermen cut in where I had just had a pull on buzzers 30 yards in front of my drift and plonk in yellow power bait

I don’t necessarily mind spinners as it’s no different from fishing lures essentially

But trout are pretty much powerless against powerbait

'Etiquette' is always a problem when activities becomes more and more available to the average 'man in the street' and leisure time increases.

But as long as the rules are obeyed it's fine by me. But many fly fishermen aren't too 'perfect ' on that sometimes either.

And 'fly fishing' isn't a method of fishing, it's a method of casting.

sakuraba1982

'Etiquette' is always a problem when activities becomes more and more available to the average 'man in the street' and leisure time increases.

But as long as the rules are obeyed it's fine by me. But many fly fishermen aren't too 'perfect ' on that sometimes either.

And 'fly fishing' isn't a method of fishing, it's a method of casting.

Hmmm powerbait not really a fan tbh

Not sure I agree with your fly fishing is just a method of casting analogy. Buzzer Fishing is Imitating what the trout are most likely feeding on where as powerbait is not

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Hmmm powerbait not really a fan tbh

Not sure I agree with your fly fishing is just a method of casting analogy. Buzzer Fishing is Imitating what the trout are most likely feeding on where as powerbait is not

I dunno what "powerbait" is and care less.

But a whole lot of 'flies' are not imitations of flies at all, nor their nymphal form. Sometimes they are imitations of fishes and sometime they don't imitate anything.

So as I said 'fly fishing' is merely a method of casting.

I don't actually care about this, people can fish with anything they want as far as I am concerned. I just don't like pretentious people pretending there is anything special about what they call fly fishing, with or without an imitation fly on the end. Not that I'm accusing you of being pretentious.

sakuraba1982

I dunno what "powerbait" is and care less.

But a whole lot of 'flies' are not imitations of flies at all, nor their nymphal form. Sometimes they are imitations of fishes and sometime they don't imitate anything.

So as I said 'fly fishing' is merely a method of casting.

I don't actually care about this, people can fish with anything they want as far as I am concerned. I just don't like pretentious people pretending there is anything special about what they call fly fishing, with or without an imitation fly on the end. Not that I'm accusing you of being pretentious.

Fair enough I can’t be naft to debate over a forum about nonsense tbh. If you knew what power bait was and had it Fishing in the same water as you ie fish can smell it from miles away I’m sure you would not feel that way

Anyhow you can have your opinion as I can have mine

Regards and tight lines

Last edited:

Latest posts