Bffi 2019

BobP

I went yesterday with a couple of friends. I thought the turn out was pretty good, especially in the morning. Quite crowded and the traders I spoke to seemed to be happy enough with the business. I spent a few quid and managed to get a Metz saddle in the olive/yellow colour I've been looking for for over a year. Lots of mayflies to come from that!

icejohn

Nice got a pic of the Cape out of curiosity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

olive_dabbler

Really enjoyed it, certainly seemed well attended, got a reasonable Jungle Cock I was after for future salmon flies plus spent a lot less on something probably more precious: some silkworm gut for blind eye hooks.

peanut_head75

I went yesterday too. Bought loads but managed to stay under budget. Surprisingly nice pint from the bar too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike fox

I couldn't find anyone selling 2.4mm Fulling Mill Tungsten beads. Surprised me that did. Had to buy 2.5mm of some other make I'd never heard of before. Pleasant couple of hours and even the wife conversed with many stall holders. Things are looking up:)

peanut_head75

Here’s my swag from the show. Wanted a couple of cheap bodkins too but I could only find nice posh expensive ones :)

BobP

I couldn't find anyone selling 2.4mm Fulling Mill Tungsten beads. Surprised me that did. Had to buy 2.5mm of some other make I'd never heard of before. Pleasant couple of hours and even the wife conversed with many stall holders. Things are looking up:)
I doubt that 0.1mm is going to make a lot of difference. If you got them from Fish On then they are worth using given the provenance of the company's owner.

stokoe

Here’s my swag from the show. Wanted a couple of cheap bodkins too but I could only find nice posh expensive ones :)

whats that black thing with the white cord on it near the hackle pliers ?. cheers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

peanut_head75

whats that black thing with the white cord on it near the hackle pliers ?. cheers

Its a Fly Retriever, and that is either going to be the best or the worst £12 I’ve ever spent. It’s a tool for getting flies back out of trees. You unwind the cord, place the tool on the tip of the rod, use the rod to hook it onto the branch, pull the rod out, and then pull on the cord to bend the branch down. On the small stream I fish it could save me a fortune in lost flies

olive_dabbler

Its a Fly Retriever, and that is either going to be the best or the worst £12 I’ve ever spent. It’s a tool for getting flies back out of trees. You unwind the cord, place the tool on the tip of the rod, use the rod to hook it onto the branch, pull the rod out, and then pull on the cord to bend the branch down. On the small stream I fish it could save me a fortune in lost flies

You've got to report back on that one!

stokoe

sounds agood idea if it works you will have to let us know how you get on with it i have the same problem on a small stream i fish.

sum olgy

It’s not so much the fly you retrieve but the tippet with a fly dangling on the end that’s important. I’ve heard accounts recently of someone who found a bat caught and trapped by such a thing.

Retrieving your lost fly and tippet can only be a good thing, perhaps in unexpected ways?

taffy1

In one of his books, Falkus spoke about a Brigadier "Briggy" Wilson coming up with the idea many, many years ago, a strong bent piece of metal attached to parachute cord & this then attached to a cigar tube. Same principle, cigar tube over rod tip, reach up & attach hook to offending branch, remove rod a put somewhere safe then pull down on the cord.....as someone once pointed out "There's nothing new in fly fishing".... how true.

Tailing Loop

Well I had a busy BFFI, sharpening scissors for the pro tyers, some had brought a fair few pairs with them from friends. The word is getting around that I CAN sharpen scissors, regardless of what the naysayers try to do to undermine it, including a few on here who poopooed the idea. :thumbs:

I also got a few tips from seasoned anglers which, hopefully, will help me to catch some more fish. I struggle on.

bobnudd

I've been carrying a bent bit of wire attached to a cord with me for years,mainly because I'm a tight git and don't like giving up my flies

Bongoch

Was there both days and Saturday was very busy with a large queue of people trying to get in! Enjoyed the talks and talking to the pro-tyers, lots of lovely tying gear though I couldn't find anyone selling X-small UTC Ultrawire. Bought one of the Magtrap gadgets, be interesting to see how much use it gets!! Looking forward to next year already.

olive_dabbler

Was there both days and Saturday was very busy with a large queue of people trying to get in! Enjoyed the talks and talking to the pro-tyers, lots of lovely tying gear though I couldn't find anyone selling X-small UTC Ultrawire. Bought one of the Magtrap gadgets, be interesting to see how much use it gets!! Looking forward to next year already.
I just ordered one from Chris Edwards at Lathkill, he has gold, silver, red and green in stock.

peanut_head75

I meant to got back round and get one of those mag traps but I forgot all about until I just read this. Balls! I guess I’ll have to order one now while the boss isn’t looking.

Bongoch

I meant to got back round and get one of those mag traps but I forgot all about until I just read this. Balls! I guess I’ll have to order one now while the boss isn’t looking.

I was actually surprised with how small it is, thought it would be bigger! It's a nice idea but not exactly sure how it'll fit in with my sling pack setup, we'll see.