BFFI 2021 Cancelled

micka

Unsurprisingly the BFFI Fly Fair 2021 has been cancelled. Predictable but sad.

What will I miss about the fair:

How it builds up my expectations for the new season
That it allows me to buy fly tying materials I probably already have and don't really need - but what the hell I still love it
The craic with my mates on the way down and back - all the things we promise to do and places to visit in the new season knowing we'll be lucky to fulfil a tiny fraction of them
Meeting old mates from around the country I haven't seen for a while
The pasties or bacon butties in cafe area - an excuse for more communal and enjoyable banter
Admiring some wonderfully talented fly tyers from all over the world and absorbing the little tactical gems they willingly pass on
Grabbing the odd bargain - I got a Di 5 for £20 last time it was held
Admiring Luke Bannister's lovely cane rods and chatting to that lovely man
Seeing some of the fishing "Gods" in the flesh
Seeing the CADAC stand and reminding myself of the wonderful and bargain fishing it gives me in one of Britain's most beautiful valleys
Talking Tenkara to those who are already of that "cult"

What will I not miss:

The tiny toilet area and the ever bigger queue as the day goes on (I'm of that age!)
Realising Malcolm Greenhagh will no longer be there - a man who has been very kind to me in the past and who did so much for the sport he loved
Realising my generation and myself are all getting older and some of them/us more infirm
Seeing some beautiful Fly Tying Vices (especially in the demo area) and regretting my purchase of the Dynaking Barracuda many years ago at the Fair - yes it works fine but I've never fallen in love with it
Realising I truly flatter myself if I call myself even a very average fly tier compared to those I see
The heartburn that the pasties usually give me on the way back - so much white pepper! But I knew this.
The bad weather that usually ruins the casting demos
Knowing it's still a couple of months before truly decent trout fishing really begins.

Mick

BTW I appreciate that the location of the Fly Fair never made it a practical proposition for many - just an hour's drive for me so I was lucky.

Last edited:

Bongoch

As you say, sad but predictable. Considering that pretty much all fly tying firms are online businesses only, it was/is a rare chance when you can actually look through capes, saddles and other feathers and choose the best one for your needs. At least this year's one managed to go ahead!

blithfield2

Unsurprisingly the BFFI Fly Fair 2021 has been cancelled. Predictable but sad.

The pasties or bacon butties in cafe area......

Really all of your post, but the mention of the cafe recalls many memories of sharing a dining table with absolute strangers and within seconds striking up a conversation with like minded soul(s) and post coffee/bacon sandwich departing almost friends!

wobbly face

It had become an annual adventure, something to look forward to throughout the winter. Just in time to purchase and find out about new stuff before the start of a new season.
The only downside, getting stuck on the motorway going (shhhhhh 🤫 don't mention money).

m r roid

Really all of your post, but the mention of the cafe recalls many memories of sharing a dining table with absolute strangers and within seconds striking up a conversation with like minded soul(s) and post coffee/bacon sandwich departing almost friends!

I'm from the New Forest in Hampshire, and last year was my 1st visit to BFFI. I ended up sharing a table in the little cafe with an extremely amiable guy from Manchester. We got on like long lost brothers, and a friendship has grown from that chance meeting. It's a shame the BFFI won't take place in 2021, but far better safe than sorry 👍

GEK79

I'm from the New Forest in Hampshire, and last year was my 1st visit to BFFI. I ended up sharing a table in the little cafe with an extremely amiable guy from Manchester. We got on like long lost brothers, and a friendship has grown from that chance meeting. It's a shame the BFFI won't take place in 2021, but far better safe than sorry 👍
Is it possible they would pospne until later in the year or just cancelled until it is safe...

m r roid

That sounds reasonable to me. I suppose your biggest expense would be if you got carried away with your spending - could end up an expensive (but enjoyable) day.

Douglas

Most people are like children let loose in a sweet shop Douglas. I was guilty of such this February 🤣😂🤣😂
Met and watched some AWESOME fly tyers from all 4 corners of the planet, and met up with old friends, and made a new one. Priceless, absolutely priceless.

ejw

Tied each year since it moved there, but missed this year due to a badly planned skiing trip to Lapland with my wife ? 2 weeks back and we developed Covid !!! Wife was bedridden for 10 days, then 8 weeks to get back to normal. Me 2 days ?
Missed Wendy's (Gibson) show in October (Not run anymore), so have not had a "Mass Buy" foe what will be 3 years by time the next BFFI comes around.
A good entrepreneur may see an opportunity for the end of this coming season (October ish)?? There must be stock laying round. Hopefully all will be well by then ????

paul100

Hi all

I couldn't agree more with the above post - EJW - surely theres room for a fly tying fair before Feb 2022

Somebody must see an.opportunity, not to make money but to resolve the demand now that the BFFI isnt happening ? I'm aware of many tyers that will really miss this event and I'm sure support another of it's kind before Feb 2022 ?

Paul

Last edited:

wobbly face

I don't think the setting up of another angling show is going to happen, even an interim show.
There was a show setup in Cumbria that only lasted I think 2 years. Then a show was to be setup in Harrogate last year, cancelled due to lack of sponsors and traders.
There will be some local or district shows covid permitted mid summer onwards though not packed with fishing.

ejw

We booked for the Chatsworth Show in September and had a cottage booked, the show was cancelled, but we still had the cottage, nice break. Have booked another for the 2021 show (tickets from this year will carry forward). Hopefully there will be a "Fishing Village" again. This has been growing over the past few years, so fingers crossed.

GEK79

We booked for the Chatsworth Show in September and had a cottage booked, the show was cancelled, but we still had the cottage, nice break. Have booked another for the 2021 show (tickets from this year will carry forward). Hopefully there will be a "Fishing Village" again. This has been growing over the past few years, so fingers crossed.
These events sound great I will hope to get over to at least one of them in the hopeful future and put some faces to the names.. 😉😉