Big Brook Trout

sean freeman

Hi folks,

I’m looking for people’s opinions on the best location in the world for brookies? I’ve heard they grow enormous in some Patagonian lakes and also in their native range of Canada, in Labrador and Ontario. The sheer scale of the areas in question makes planning a trip intimidating, not to mention the expense involved! It’ll no doubt be a once in a lifetime trip so I want to plan it well.

If anyone has information on Lodges or even DIY information I’d be massively appreciative! A week or two in the Labrador wilderness fishing untouched streams for monster brook trout is my idea of fishing Nirvana.

Thanks in advance for any information you guys can can share. I posted this on the yank forum too as I thought I might get more hits but I know there are a few destination fishermen on here.

Cheers,
Sean

delray

'Morning Sean, I never got around to doing this trip, nor many others I've planned, but this is a mail sent from a lodge owner in Newfoundland which may be up your street if you're up for an adventurous journey........by the time I follow through on a trip, I'll be too old to b....dy do it.

Hi Derek, First let me apologize for my delayed reply to your email. June, July and August are my busy time of year and I often don't have access to my email account and the internet. Hopefully I am not too late with the information you requested.
I'll answer your specific questions first then provide some general information that you might find useful.

I have other customers from the UK (and from Sweden) and they generally fly to St. John's, Newfoundland then fly further to Deer Lake which is near Corner Brook, Newfoundland. As you will read below, access to Salmon Hole Lodge is by boat and the "fishing package" starts at our closest road link in Rose Blanche - a small community on the southwest coast of Newfoundland. So most of my customers from overseas fly into Deer Lake on a Saturday, rent a vehicle at the Deer Lake Airport then drive 2 hours to Port-aux-Basques and spend Saturday night in a hotel in Port-aux-Basques. On Sunday morning they drive 1 hour to Rose Blanche where they leave their vehicle for the week. We pick you up by boat on Sunday morning and deliver you back to the same wharf the following Saturday morning.

One of my returning customers is from Islesworth, Middlesex (is that anywhere close to you?) and if you get more interested in this trip I could put you in touch with him. In fact I have availability for 1 rod in the same group as this gentleman - the week of June 12-18, 2016.

Regarding equipment, I recommend a 6 or 7 weight flyrod. The majority of the fish caught in Newfoundland rivers are in the 5-6 pound range. About 15% of the fish caught are larger fish - 10-20 pounds. You could probably get by with your 5-weight. But if can borrow or buy a 7 weight, that's what I recommend. In fact I will attach a list of the supplies that I recommend to all my customers.

As for availability, many of our weeks for 2016 are already filled. We have a very high customer return rate and many have fished with us for 20 years or more. Availability for 2016:

June 12-18 - 1 rod
June 26 - July 2 - 4 rods
July 17-23 - 6 rods

The rates for 2016 are: $2,700 + HST per person. All currency is Canadian.

The package includes:
- 6 nights accommodation (Sunday night to the following Friday night);
- 5 full days of fishing with full guide services (1 guide per 2 anglers) from Monday morning, to Friday evening; (possibly some fishing the first Sunday afternoon and evening depending on your arrival time)
- 3 delicious, home-cooked meals daily starting with lunch on Sunday and ending with breakfast on Saturday; We have a full-time cook.
- salmon and trout fishing licences;
- transportation by boat between Rose Blanche, NL (our closest road link) and the LaPoile River.

Due to a tax incentive offered by the Canadian government (to encourage tourism), IF you live outside of Canada, the HST (sales tax) can be reduced to 6.5% (from the normal 13%) - providing you sign a form authoring Salmon Hole Lodge to do this for you. Therefore if you sign the form, your full cost for the fishing trip would be $2,700.00 + 6.5% = $2,875.50.

Salmon Hole Lodge is located on the LaPoile River, which is located on the southwest coast of Newfoundland. It is located in a very remote area that is accessible only by boat. Because it is not easily accessible by the general public, our catch results are typically well above average. As mentioned, we accept only 6 guests at one time. There are no other outfitting camps or private residences on the LaPoile River therefore it is unlikely that you will see another person during 'your week' other than the other 5 anglers in your group and the fishing guides. We have 10 miles of fishable river with 18 salmon pools.

If you are interested and want to book your trip, I recommend that you:
- Go to our website www.salmonholelodge.com and read everything.
- On the Book Your Trip section of the website, please read the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Policies.
- A deposit of 50% is required to secure your reservation. The balance (the other 50%) is payable by April 1, 2016.

There are a couple of things that set Salmon Hole Lodge apart from other fishing outfitters in Newfoundland and Labrador. First, we have some of the best (if not THE best) fishing guides in the industry. They have worked at Salmon Hole Lodge for many years and they are the main reason we have a customer return rate of 75%. Second, Salmon Hole Lodge is a family-owned business (since 1968) and we are recognized by the Dept. of Tourism as having one of the cleanest fishing lodges in the province. Third, we offer only fly-fishing vacations. We ARE NOT a hunting outfitter or snowmobile outfitter that also offers fishing. We do only one thing and we do it right.

I am happy to answer all questions that you may have. Also, if you are
interested, I can provide you with a copy of:
- our menu,
- a personalized travel itinerary
- my list of "recommended supplies" for anglers to bring with them and
- photos of the most effective flies - in the event you want to tie some flies.

Thanks again for your interest in Salmon Hole Lodge.

Scott Smith - President
Salmon Hole Lodge Ltd.
79 Nottingham Street
Bedford, Nova Scotia, B4A 3A8

Phone 902-835-8872
Fax 902-835-7026

www.salmonholelodge.com
Visit the Salmon Hole Lodge Facebook page

www.facebook.com/salmonholelodge

sean freeman

'Morning Sean, I never got around to doing this trip, nor many others I've planned, but this is a mail sent from a lodge owner in Newfoundland which may be up your street if you're up for an adventurous journey........by the time I follow through on a trip, I'll be too old to b....dy do it.

Hi Derek, First let me apologize for my delayed reply to your email. June, July and August are my busy time of year and I often don't have access to my email account and the internet. Hopefully I am not too late with the information you requested.
I'll answer your specific questions first then provide some general information that you might find useful.

I have other customers from the UK (and from Sweden) and they generally fly to St. John's, Newfoundland then fly further to Deer Lake which is near Corner Brook, Newfoundland. As you will read below, access to Salmon Hole Lodge is by boat and the "fishing package" starts at our closest road link in Rose Blanche - a small community on the southwest coast of Newfoundland. So most of my customers from overseas fly into Deer Lake on a Saturday, rent a vehicle at the Deer Lake Airport then drive 2 hours to Port-aux-Basques and spend Saturday night in a hotel in Port-aux-Basques. On Sunday morning they drive 1 hour to Rose Blanche where they leave their vehicle for the week. We pick you up by boat on Sunday morning and deliver you back to the same wharf the following Saturday morning.

One of my returning customers is from Islesworth, Middlesex (is that anywhere close to you?) and if you get more interested in this trip I could put you in touch with him. In fact I have availability for 1 rod in the same group as this gentleman - the week of June 12-18, 2016.

Regarding equipment, I recommend a 6 or 7 weight flyrod. The majority of the fish caught in Newfoundland rivers are in the 5-6 pound range. About 15% of the fish caught are larger fish - 10-20 pounds. You could probably get by with your 5-weight. But if can borrow or buy a 7 weight, that's what I recommend. In fact I will attach a list of the supplies that I recommend to all my customers.

As for availability, many of our weeks for 2016 are already filled. We have a very high customer return rate and many have fished with us for 20 years or more. Availability for 2016:

June 12-18 - 1 rod
June 26 - July 2 - 4 rods
July 17-23 - 6 rods

The rates for 2016 are: $2,700 + HST per person. All currency is Canadian.

The package includes:
- 6 nights accommodation (Sunday night to the following Friday night);
- 5 full days of fishing with full guide services (1 guide per 2 anglers) from Monday morning, to Friday evening; (possibly some fishing the first Sunday afternoon and evening depending on your arrival time)
- 3 delicious, home-cooked meals daily starting with lunch on Sunday and ending with breakfast on Saturday; We have a full-time cook.
- salmon and trout fishing licences;
- transportation by boat between Rose Blanche, NL (our closest road link) and the LaPoile River.

Due to a tax incentive offered by the Canadian government (to encourage tourism), IF you live outside of Canada, the HST (sales tax) can be reduced to 6.5% (from the normal 13%) - providing you sign a form authoring Salmon Hole Lodge to do this for you. Therefore if you sign the form, your full cost for the fishing trip would be $2,700.00 + 6.5% = $2,875.50.

Salmon Hole Lodge is located on the LaPoile River, which is located on the southwest coast of Newfoundland. It is located in a very remote area that is accessible only by boat. Because it is not easily accessible by the general public, our catch results are typically well above average. As mentioned, we accept only 6 guests at one time. There are no other outfitting camps or private residences on the LaPoile River therefore it is unlikely that you will see another person during 'your week' other than the other 5 anglers in your group and the fishing guides. We have 10 miles of fishable river with 18 salmon pools.

If you are interested and want to book your trip, I recommend that you:
- Go to our website www.salmonholelodge.com and read everything.
- On the Book Your Trip section of the website, please read the Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Policies.
- A deposit of 50% is required to secure your reservation. The balance (the other 50%) is payable by April 1, 2016.

There are a couple of things that set Salmon Hole Lodge apart from other fishing outfitters in Newfoundland and Labrador. First, we have some of the best (if not THE best) fishing guides in the industry. They have worked at Salmon Hole Lodge for many years and they are the main reason we have a customer return rate of 75%. Second, Salmon Hole Lodge is a family-owned business (since 1968) and we are recognized by the Dept. of Tourism as having one of the cleanest fishing lodges in the province. Third, we offer only fly-fishing vacations. We ARE NOT a hunting outfitter or snowmobile outfitter that also offers fishing. We do only one thing and we do it right.

I am happy to answer all questions that you may have. Also, if you are
interested, I can provide you with a copy of:
- our menu,
- a personalized travel itinerary
- my list of "recommended supplies" for anglers to bring with them and
- photos of the most effective flies - in the event you want to tie some flies.

Thanks again for your interest in Salmon Hole Lodge.

Scott Smith - President
Salmon Hole Lodge Ltd.
79 Nottingham Street
Bedford, Nova Scotia, B4A 3A8

Phone 902-835-8872
Fax 902-835-7026

www.salmonholelodge.com
Visit the Salmon Hole Lodge Facebook page

www.facebook.com/salmonholelodge
Exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for and the price is way more reasonable than the places that require multiple float plane trips to gain access. Thanks for that, I might shoot them an email about the Brookie fishing they have, a few salmon would be a great bonus!

Cheers

sean freeman

I have caught brook trout when fishing for salmon on the Miramichi in New Brunswick in Canada. Nothing crazy but a couple of fish in the 6-7 lb region.
That’s awesome, the expanse of land inhabited by trophy brook trout is staggering! I reckon some of the roadside lakes along the Labrador highway must be stuffed with them too!

sean freeman

Awesome video Jason! Haha much the same as the big Scottish Brookie loch I know of Arawa! If you can survive Scottish midges you can survive anything!

chinghis

Hi, I have caught what am assured are very big brook trout in Argentinian Patagonia. Last year I caught many in one day. Stopped counting at 10 fish. This is fishing Nirvana for me a sI ambnot the world's greatest angler. The guide reckoned we had one of 5kgs. I think this is big but do not know what the records are like. I also think guides exaggerate a bit even the nicest (and he is a great guide and person). He did say to me that I was a "lucky b..." that day. This year the same lake was less productive for me but I managed a few. I have attached a couple of pictures. US and Canadian anglers staying in the same place as me were saying the brook trout fishing was fantastic but I have no experience anywhere else. They all seemed to catch more than I did. The rivers have decent sized fish but the lakes have the biggest. I am aware that at the end of the season the big fish run up the rivers to spawn and can be caught there. I go with Hemispheres Unlimited and can say the guiding and company are great. People were saying they thought there were bigger fish around in the area than those I caught.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 51

sean freeman

Hi, I have caught what am assured are very big brook trout in Argentinian Patagonia. Last year I caught many in one day. Stopped counting at 10 fish. This is fishing Nirvana for me a sI ambnot the world's greatest angler. The guide reckoned we had one of 5kgs. I think this is big but do not know what the records are like. I also think guides exaggerate a bit even the nicest (and he is a great guide and person). He did say to me that I was a "lucky b..." that day. This year the same lake was less productive for me but I managed a few. I have attached a couple of pictures. US and Canadian anglers staying in the same place as me were saying the brook trout fishing was fantastic but I have no experience anywhere else. They all seemed to catch more than I did. The rivers have decent sized fish but the lakes have the biggest. I am aware that at the end of the season the big fish run up the rivers to spawn and can be caught there. I go with Hemispheres Unlimited and can say the guiding and company are great. People were saying they thought there were bigger fish around in the area than those I caught.

That looks and sounds awesome! Those brookies are enormous! If you don’t mind me asking what sort of price would I be looking at for such a trip? Labrador is looking to cost around £7000 which is a lot more than I’ve ever paid for a fishing trip!

sean freeman

Sean, just for you, because I know how much you prize brook trout. Go to North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia on a DIY basis and spend $ rather than $$$$$$$. Depends what you call "big" though 😂

Brook Trout of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Shenandoah N.P.
A friend in North Carolina has offered to take me out on the blue ridge hunting brookies. I’ll be taking him up on the offer for sure!

I do want a specimen though, something around the 6-7lbs mark. My girlfriend and I are doing a Canadian road trip the year after next so maybe a detour to the Nipigon river is on the cards.

Fortress Lake, BC. Has a lodge, where I worked as a guide for the previous owners over several seasons. Good fishing, amazing scenery. Rocky mountains, and the fly out won't require a series of bizarre flights, it's pretty straightforward. Don't count on dry fly fishing, it's mostly streamers, but it's good fun, with average brookies of 2+lb. You can definitely get brookies on stripped mouse patterns later in the summer and early fall, right behind the lodge even. Send me a message if you want more specific information about the fishery.

scobo

This looks pretty amazing fishing, although char but stunning fish none the less. Bit closer to home too.

sean freeman

I had a look at fortress lake, looks awesome but I want to fish somewhere where they occur naturally. I looked at the Adirondacks, northern Maine, Ontario and Labrador. Labrador is the winner but like you said it’s an insane journey and requires a big budget!

Latest posts