Big Browns Chew Valley

JohnH

Good grief, that's an absolute unit. Only query is, what chance would an orthodox fly fisher have of catching one, other than by dumb luck ? Unlikely it got to that size on a delicate diet of buzzers and caenis.. A concerted program of Northampton style fishing with a DI7 or lead core line and a "Datchet nymph" about 6 inches long would seem the way forward...

jeffhirst

Feeding on fry around the cages not to mention the odd pellet that drops out of the cage! I reckon there's bigger, !7lb caught off the bank onDB last year and one of the Barr brothers had one on fly pushing 20 a couple of years ago.

jeffhirst

Just so you know that is not my fish but caught on deadbait by the pikeboys at the weekend.Another 21lb was taken and returned also. Special backdrifting days will be permitted this season which opens 5 March. Backdrifting will be Sept and Oct for a couple of days only
Quite a lot of big grown on fish both Browns and Rainbows were caught on Chew (17lb Brown off the bank) just normal nymph fishing. These browns were stocked at 2.5lbs/3.5lb a quite a few years ago

iainmortimer

Its amazing how silver they become as they get bigger looking more like sea trout than inland brownies. I wonder if its partly due to heavily feeding on fish as opposed to insects or lack of light from hanging deep? I'm no expert in such things, can anyone else advise?

jeffhirst

In the main a lot of these fish were triploids but not all. Hence they do not go out of condition as long as they have a plentiful supply of food. I remember the early days on Rutland and I was catching silver Browns in a similar condition during May for quite a few years as they were still feeding on drowned earth worms and huge buzzers.

squimp

These reservoir populations of big browns appear to be cyclical. Maybe related to earlier periods of heavy stocking, changes in food supply etc etc?

I know plenty of people who fish Chew hard on the pike lure/bait days and they do catch big trout occasionally.

It will be interesting to see whether the 'back drifting' days attract much attention and if they do, what turns up......some big pike and perch no doubt.

jeffhirst

I know plenty of people who fish Chew hard on the pike lure/bait days and they do catch big trout occasionally.
Last I heard there's been about 8 Browns all over 20llb the last couple of weeks including those I posted above all in fantastic condition.