Birchbark grip part 1

JayP

Project birchbark, started back in the summer when I was clearing a few silver birches, after harvesting the bark from the wood it was time to dry, flatten and clean off the loose fibres and then start cutting into 40mm squares and drill the pilot holes ready for mounting on a mandrel.

1637338232063.jpg

Liberally covered in wood glue it was time to clamp up and leave for 48 hours, I glued up the bark in three sections to get a good even load when clamping down.

1637338473024.jpg

After the three sections had glued and dried the three became one

1637338232049.jpg

I was undecided whether to stabilize the bark stick or not so went with an hour dunk in Bonda rather than a full on pressurized stabilisation in the pressure pot.

Another week on and today was the day to start turning down the bark stick, sharpened up a Robert Sorby roughing gouge, powered up the lathe to 2500 rpm and let the dust fly. I've taken the stick down to a rough round shape and I'm actually quite impressed with how good it looks.

The grip's going to have wooden highlights on each end and I'm toying with Mexican cocobolo as I have a piece that I can also do a matched reel seat insert too, the only issue is the weight so I might have to have a rummage through the wood store and see what else I like the look off.

1637338473011.jpg

A quick spray of IPA gives an impression of what the final grip will look like, I'm not sure what I'm going to use as a finish yet as it's going to have to work with the wood ends and the reel seat too

1637338473001.jpg

Possible wood ends and reel seat insert coming from this piece of cocobolo.....

5063-20211114104806-Edit.jpg

Part two coming soon...................

Last edited:

Bobfly2

Great job and an attractive result. Having the closely spaced glue layers will give it hard wearing strength too. 😎

JayP

Great job and an attractive result. Having the closely spaced glue layers will give it hard wearing strength too. 😎
Thanks, the bark is between 2 and 4 mm wide so there's a fair amount of glue in there. It's a lot quicker glueing up cork shrives

Steff-Peff

HelloJP.
very nice work, well done !
Did you weight the finished grip ?
I think also think about such one one for my next rod but heard they are quite heavy in compoarison to cork.
Bye
Steff

Last edited:

JayP

HelloJP.
very nice work, well done !
Did you weight the finished grip ?
I think also think about such one one for my next rod but heard they are quite heavy in compoarison to cork.
Bye
Steff
Thanks Steff,

The grip isn't finished yet or bored out to fit the blank so probably about 25% still to come off, as it is now the weight is 36g so once the final shaping is done and wood ends added I'm anticipating a weight about 34g, a cork grip weighs about 15g for comparison. The thing to bear in mind is the weight is in the hand so really the extra 20g increase is irrelevant really.

Last edited:

Steff-Peff

Thanks for your reply on my question on the grip.

Not sure yet but guess it will be an other glass in7,6-8 ft, #3.
At the moment there is a s-glass 6,7 Ft, #3-4 in progress :)

Last edited:

JayP

Birch bark one is lovely Jason, looking forward to the final result. The carbon one however... :sick:
The birch bark is something special but then the time and effort going in it better be, for a Euro nymph rod the carbon grip can't be beaten for weight and sensitivity

JayP

Have we a finished result.?
Unfortunately not finished yet but getting there, had an issue with the cocobolo and a large split so have now gone with a piece of Mexican bocote, should have the grip shaped by the weekend but then need to see how tru-oil works with a bocote offcut before going all in.

Don't want to hide this grain

bocote.jpg

Latest posts