Birchbark grip part 2

JayP

My first choice of wood got binned as it had a split running through it, so, instead this piece of Mexican bocote came into play. After deciding what section was to be the grip highlights and insert a quick cut to size and centre drilling ready for turning.

IMG_20211201_122809.jpg

Turned down to a rough shape, the grip wooden ends went on a mandrel along with the birchbark section for final shaping

IMG_20211201_140500.jpg

Ran out of 600 grit emory paper so final prep will have to wait now....

Did a Tru-Oil test on a the insert pre turning and it doesn't seem to effect the colour too much so I think that will be the finish for the birchbark and the wood sections.

1638368971179549790700319687574.jpg

Might get it finished this weekend......

Last edited:

Bobfly2

Looking very fine. 600 is beyond where I go on the lathe. 400 or 500 then Tung oil is usually enough for me ! I guess celulose sanding sealer would do OK on the bark too.

JayP

Looking very fine. 600 is beyond where I go on the lathe. 400 or 500 then Tung oil is usually enough for me ! I guess celulose sanding sealer would do OK on the bark too.
I'm at p500 and not happy so will take it to 600 plus.

Tru-Oil on bark seems to be the best from what I've read, 10 coats and buffing back between should give it a good bit of stabilisation and longevity

Bobfly2

Fishy. Traditionally used for the grips of swords, I believe. That would be classy :)
1. I think leather disks were often used for sword handles. Like those classic American Eastwing hammers and hachets axes. They would be a lot heavier on a rod though.
2. Love the final bark handle ! 😎😎

JayP

1. I think leather disks were often used for sword handles. Like those classic American Eastwing hammers and hachets axes. They would be a lot heavier on a rod though.
2. Love the final bark handle ! 😎😎
Not quite there, six more coats of tru-oil

Whinging pom

Ive just been polishing back the high sheen of tru oil on the cane blanks ( 10-12 layers with 4 days from last coating) with a mix of rottenstone and lindseed oil,
Its a really nice satin finish.
They were really glossy !!
AB1963E5-D14B-4CC9-9D65-9A21147CBD4E.jpeg

I bought enough for about 5 lifetimes worth and quite happy to send you a little sealed bag if you want to try it out, I think you'll find it kinder on the tru oil than wire wool ,

JayP

Ive just been polishing back the high sheen of tru oil on the cane blanks ( 10-12 layers with 4 days from last coating) with a mix of rottenstone and lindseed oil,
Its a really nice satin finish.
They were really glossy !!
View attachment 46204
I bought enough for about 5 lifetimes worth and quite happy to send you a little sealed bag if you want to try it out, I think you'll find it kinder on the tru oil than wire wool ,
I might just take you up on that offer, so far the wire wool is doing the job but I may switch over to micromesh pads for the last few coats. Is that your JC blank?