Bird of the day

codyarrow

Plenty of time kill so how about a bird per day thread? What you can see in your garden or on your walk. To kick off here's one from the dog walk.
IMG_0498.JPG
Could have pictured a male hen harrier today, but only had seconds to get a shot.

4wings

Male and Female Black Caps they have been feeding here since the male found a few grapes under the porch while sheltering from the rain.
Sparrow Hawk just landed in the rill from our small pond and is having a quick bathe!

diawl bach

The woodpigeon population has exploded in Cardiff, I'm seriously thinking about devising a way to trap them to stop them from stripping my cherry tree again, all suggestions gratefully accepted, shooting's out. Quite a few ducks and cormorants flying over Cardiff and, like 4W saw a sparrowhawk twice on Sunday

A minor diversion, goat of the day. Wondered why on earth Llandudno was trending, yet another feature of lockdown -

codyarrow

This mornings effort.
IMG_0526.JPG
There's actually a lapwing a couple of feet to the right there as well. Could not see with the naked eye but the camera picked it up in a later shot.

IMG_0520.JPG

Cap'n Fishy

What I might see going round the city cycle path, taking in part of the Water of Leith walkway...

Redwings (last of them still around)
Blackbirds
Song thrushes (numbers seem to be recovering)
Robins
Wrens
House sparrows
Dunnocks
Blue tits
Great tits
Long-tailed tits
Treecreepers
Black caps
Grey wagtails
Pied/white wagtails
Mallards
Swans
Moorhens
Goosanders
Herons
Kingfishers
Chaffinches
Bullfinches
Goldfinches
Magpies
Carrion crows
Woodpigeons (probably more of them than anything else)
Herring gulls
Lesser black-back gulls
Black-headed gulls
Curlews (currently occupying the rugby pitches)
Oystercatchers (also on the rugby pitches)
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk

After they arrive, I hear warblers such as willow warbler and chiff-chaff, but I rarely get a good look at them. I also hear a tawny owl from time to time. I don't see peregrines on the cycle path, but I can sometimes see them if I go down and round the back of Asda's car park...

Peregrines21Jul15_2060.jpg

Col

Last edited:

jaybeegee

What I might see going round the city cycle path, taking in part of the Water of Leith walkway...

Redwings (last of them still around)
Blackbirds
Song thrushes (numbers seem to be recovering)
Robins
Wrens
House sparrows
Blue tits
Great tits
Long-tailed tits
Treecreepers
Black caps
Grey wagtails
Pied/white wagtails
Mallards
Swans
Moorhens
Goosanders
Herons
Chaffinches
Bullfinches
Goldfinches
Magpies
Carrion crows
Woodpigeons (probably more of them than anything else)
Herring gulls
Lesser black-back gulls
Black-headed gulls
Curlews (currently occupying the rugby pitches)
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk

After they arrive, I hear warblers such as willow warbler and chiff-chaff, but I rarely get a good look at them. I also hear a tawny owl from time to time. I don't see peregrines on the cycle path, but I can sometimes see them if I go down and round the back of Asda's car park...

Peregrines21Jul15_2060.jpg

Col
No peregrines round the back of our Asda Col. A few hoodies..( not crows ) :)

B

jaybeegee

Just been watching a pair of red kites patrolling over the gardens, we are four miles from the city centre. The Harewood breeding programme has been an outstanding success.
B

4wings

I was watching a buzzard on a thermal yesterday,From my sitting room chair..as I followed the buzzard with my bins ,I noticed above it, a Peregrine on the same thermal.

Jim
I have some photos somewhere of a Buzzard being mobbed by Crows Jackdaws, Blackbirds , gulls and other smaller birds.

easker1

Pair of Goldfinches yesterday, usual Ravens patrolling the surrounding hills,nesting Blue tits in the local box, easker1

wobbly face

Had 2 male gold finch on the niger seeds this afternoon. Later a pair of dunnock in the garden, she was tail flirting and he was very attentive. Wren was also busy in the garden. Wish I'd set the camera. 📹

bobmiddlepoint

A pretty ropy picture but an interesting bit of interaction.
A male Goosander and a male Goldeneye.

IMG_8003.JPG

There were also four juvenile/female Goldeneye on the pool and all six birds were diving together. It was almost as if the Goosander was trying to hide...

Andy