Bird of the day

Cap'n Fishy

Spent a couple of hours with these balls of fluff.Cute wee birds.

Brilliant wee things, the LTTs. They seem to be doing well in recent times. I now hear more of them than any other bird when I walk round the cycle path. They stay high in the trees at this time of year for some reason - never getting a decent chance at a photo of them, as they are always in silhouette.

Col

Brilliant wee things, the LTTs. They seem to be doing well in recent times. I now hear more of them than any other bird when I walk round the cycle path. They stay high in the trees at this time of year for some reason - never getting a decent chance at a photo of them, as they are always in silhouette.

Col
Fascinating wee birds.One appears and then like bees loads of them.Had quite a few yesterday chattering away.Jays like ghosts ,just appear and then gone.Got a picture of one with a custard cream in its beak lol

Cap'n Fishy

Fascinating wee birds.One appears and then like bees loads of them.Had quite a few yesterday chattering away.Jays like ghosts ,just appear and then gone.Got a picture of one with a custard cream in its beak lol

The jays at Menteith get really raucous in autumn for whatever reason - maybe turf wars over acorn stocks or somesuch. But for all you are hearing them screeching the place down, all you ever see of them is one briefly flit between the trees and disappear again. My mate who goes shooting doesn't have any problems seeing them, that's for sure - given the stocks of jay wings he keeps me and Jimmy supplied with!

Col

Cap'n Fishy

A few more shots of the magpies having their conference - or whatever it was they were up to...

"Look ma, no hands!" 🤪

Hardrar

These used to be common Summer company along our bank side water meadows in Yorkshire, sadly quite rare now in England, we get the odd one like this last Summer in our Garden where we have the most Northerly of all the chalkstreams meandering along the bottom of our Garden.
I’m trying to get shots of the Great Egrets that over Winter with us and the resident little Egrets , but they are tricky to catch- camera in hand, as the local Herons are always mobbing them.
D61E8406-19E6-4522-90FD-7277878BF34F.jpeg

Last edited:

noel

These used to be common Summer company along our bank side water meadows in Yorkshire, sadly quite rare now in England, we get the odd one like this last Summer in our Garden where we have the most Northerly of all the chalkstreams meandering along the bottom of our Garden.
I’m trying to get shots of the Great Egrets that over Winter with us and the resident little Egrets , but they are tricky to catch- camera in hand, as the local Herons are always mobbing them.
View attachment 33825
Where in North Yorkshire are you ? Check out Teesmouth Bird Club website. https://www.teesmouthbc.com

Hardrar

We’re about 8 miles North East of Malton. I used to go birding up your way a lot, remember seeing my first English Red Kite on a farm near Hartlepool, local pig farmer fed it casualty piglets and it stayed all winter. I remember seeing a broad billed sandpiper on the same trip. Now we have Red Kites in our admittedly large, back garden here!
We have tree creepers and Goldcrests nesting in the big old hedges and both Lesser and Greater Spotted and Green woodpeckers visit. My only regret is the Moles that are a pain In our back grass- cannot catch them!

I used to be a BTO counter and RSPB life member, but had a fall out with them both, as too much information was being disclosed on sightings publicly and birds were being disturbed as a result, as well as a lot of other I’ll informed negative policies that were being adopted.

Last edited:

Hardrar

There were 13 of these Red Leg chicks hatched from under one of our hedges last year- here they are a few hours old and covey’d up already, just 10 feet from our back door. We have a Heronary about 400 yards down the beck from us, they get noisy at Spring, coupled with the Jackdaws always stealing nesting material off them and the local rookery, it would be quieter next to a motorway!

59C9CB5A-0249-48FF-98BE-82827B4F35EB.jpeg

Last edited:

noel

Malton near Pickering, I have driven through there on a couple of occasions with a lorry load of steel , now retired so no more 7.5 tonne violations.

Hardrar

It’s a great picture, we commonly see them on Filey brig, which I believe has the highest species count in the U.K. I saw a Yellow Bunting there many years ago, stopped for several days and drew a crowd of over 2000 on the Sunday, which strangely didn’t phase it a bit, was feeding in the Gorse along the cliff sides.

Hardrar

The Kingfisher thread above reminds me of a very funny story.
Back in the eighties a big fishing pal of mine and I entered a summer coarse match series, on a Wednesday evenings.
We decided between ourselves we would also have our own competition too- nothing to do with weights of fish whatsoever:- size of individual fish etc- Oh no, nothing so mundane as that with us! It was who managed to achieve having the most Kingfishers perched at anyone time, on a single Match rod!
Two were pretty common, but one evening in June, I managed three! We even started taking a camera as evidence (no digital back then) However, as the long hot Summer wore on my pal out did, me with four on the last match! We’d forgotten all about the fishing by this time of the season and un beknown to us, word had gotten round and at the prize giving dinner, he was awarded a small “ kingfisher trophy” which raised the most laughs and applause. I seem to think the photo got published in Angling times.
They were the best of days- I won’t mention the Maggot racing championship !

Cap'n Fishy

The Kingfisher thread above reminds me of a very funny story.
Back in the eighties a big fishing pal of mine and I entered a summer coarse match series, on a Wednesday evenings.
We decided between ourselves we would also have our own competition too- nothing to do with weights of fish whatsoever:- size of individual fish etc- Oh no, nothing so mundane as that with us! It was who managed to achieve having the most Kingfishers perched at anyone time, on a single Match rod!
Two were pretty common, but one evening in June, I managed three! We even started taking a camera as evidence (no digital back then) However, as the long hot Summer wore on my pal out did, me with four on the last match! We’d forgotten all about the fishing by this time of the season and un beknown to us, word had gotten round and at the prize giving dinner, he was awarded a small “ kingfisher trophy” which raised the most laughs and applause. I seem to think the photo got published in Angling times.
They were the best of days- I won’t mention the Maggot racing championship !

It's fantastic to see how many urban kingfishers we now have in Edinburgh. A few years ago it was a rare sight. But we now have them nesting on the Water of Leith as far down as where I am (near Bonnington), at the Figgate Pond in Portobello, and at the Botanic Gardens at Inverleith. This was taken at the Botanic Gardens, exactly one year ago...

They are also to be found in the centre of Musselburgh, at the mouth of the River Esk, where they hunt not for fish, but for shrimps!

Col