Bird of the day

Cap'n Fishy

Local turnstones today...

... or maybe 'turnsnow'...

Newhaven02Jan21_7090.jpg

Newhaven02Jan21_7081.jpg

Col

gwyndavies

Apart from all the regular garden birds visiting every hour of the day, we get frequent visits from a Sparrowhawk and unusually a Grey Wagtail,certainly adds to the enjoyment feeding the birds especially as the time of year.

Attachments

• P1020942.JPG
    P1020942.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1020956(1).JPG
    P1020956(1).JPG
    156 KB · Views: 8
  • P1020930.JPG
    P1020930.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 8
  • P1020927.JPG
    P1020927.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 8

smallmouth

Apart from all the regular garden birds visiting every hour of the day, we get frequent visits from a Sparrowhawk and unusually a Grey Wagtail,certainly adds to the enjoyment feeding the birds especially as the time of year.
Cracking male Sparrowhawk that.........

Cap'n Fishy

Good stuff, Gwyn - do you get the wagtail feeding on anything you put out. I had it they were purely insect-eaters - but maybe something like mealworms might work?

Col

bobmiddlepoint

A white tailed eagle for me but sadly no picture. I was rather pleased to see him as he has eyes for cormorants and while he didn't get one today he certainly put the frighteners on them and sent them back to sea. There was one in particular right in front of the house that he kept circling above while it dived repeatedly in an attempt to hide.

I did get a picture of a devil bird. This one is unusual in that it could fly, most of them are grounded for much of the day at the moment because they are weighed down with bellies full of kelts!

IMG_8915.JPG

Andy

gwyndavies

Hi Colin
On the other side of the garden we used ( until last year ) to have a 5000 gallon koi pond and they were regular visitors for any thing coming hatching off the pond, but they now seem to feed in a similar way to Dunnocks and not on any of the feed ( peanuts, sunflower hearts, raisins, fat & cake) that we provide.
Our garden is only about 150 yards from the the river Ebbw and I think is a contributing factor.
Gwyn

Cap'n Fishy

Hi Colin
On the other side of the garden we used ( until last year ) to have a 5000 gallon koi pond and they were regular visitors for any thing coming hatching off the pond, but they now seem to feed in a similar way to Dunnocks and not on any of the feed ( peanuts, sunflower hearts, raisins, fat & cake) that we provide.
Our garden is only about 150 yards from the the river Ebbw and I think is a contributing factor.
Gwyn

Cheers, Gwyn.

Aye, the grey wagtail is a cracking wee bird. Certainly associated with water, eh? I have seen them in the city here, just along from me, where the only water is the flooded ditch at the side of the cycle path (a converted disused railway network). The standing water is semi-permanent in places - enough for tadpoles to be born and develop through to froglets, so that will be enough for mosquitos and micro-buzzers and whatnot for them.

Also got them on the snail pond at the Botanic Gardens, along the road...

Botanics18Dec19_4300.jpg

Botanics18Dec19_4305.jpg

Botanics18Dec19_4319.jpg

Col

noel

My 1st ever delivery of sunflower hearts arrived today hopefully my bird count will go up .

Fishtales

It must be the cold and snow pushing the birds into town from the surrounding countryside. We have increased our Siskin to six, Goldfinches are in regularly now as are two pairs of Dunnock. The resident Robin is now chasing another Robin around the trees as well as the two male dunnock who are also chasing each other. We have two sets of Robin and Dunnock one lot from the front garden and the other from the back and they don't usually mix :) We also had six Blackbirds chasing one another through the trees which is three times as many as usual, some with black beaks and some with the usual yellow.

Hardrar

It must be the cold and snow pushing the birds into town from the surrounding countryside. We have increased our Siskin to six, Goldfinches are in regularly now as are two pairs of Dunnock. The resident Robin is now chasing another Robin around the trees as well as the two male dunnock who are also chasing each other. We have two sets of Robin and Dunnock one lot from the front garden and the other from the back and they don't usually mix :) We also had six Blackbirds chasing one another through the trees which is three times as many as usual, some with black beaks and some with the usual yellow.
Was on a customers farm at dusk last night and counted 26 Blackies in his isolation paddock at the front of the farm, must be migrants, there was just a pair of field fares with them.
Farm before had a Robin perched on my rear wiper as soon as I parked up, tapping on the back window- he flitted off as soon as I got the IPhone out!

At the minute I have lots of goldfinches,counted 21 the other day,Greenfinches,wren,blackbirds have just appeared and also the mad robin chasing all away.Had long tails about a week ago and hope they come back but not seen my woodpecker for a while.Collared dove pops in from time to time.

Hardrar

Went for a walk on Filey brig at lunchtime nice little flock of Lapland buntings there haven’t seen any for years

O MW
Best birding spot in the U.K.- I believe it has the highest U.K. species count? Saw a lovely Yellow breasted Bunting there once (along with 3000 other birders) in Sep 1994, red footed falcon year before, Hobby and Merlin and good flocks of Snow Buntings.
Marvellous place- just down the road from me.

Overmiwadrers

Best birding spot in the U.K.- I believe it has the highest U.K. species count? Saw a lovely Yellow breasted Bunting there once (along with 3000 other birders) in Sep 1994, red footed falcon year before, Hobby and Merlin and good flocks of Snow Buntings.
Marvellous place- just down the road from me.
I am there most days I can walk there from my office , it is a great place h ad grey phalerope there a couple of weeks ago.

O M W

Hardrar

Is Filey dams still open? Are there as many Eider off the Brigg still?
Phaleropes used to be regular visitors to the dams, I used to have a close friend, who’s now retired to the North West of Scotland, who we used to go most weekends in Winter to Filey with, or Spurn.
It’s funny but now my families all grown up and long since left, the only birding I do is on my door step. Seem to have less time than ever!

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Is Filey dams still open? Are there as many Eider off the Brigg still?
Phaleropes used to be regular visitors to the dams, I used to have a close friend, who’s now retired to the North West of Scotland, who we used to go most weekends in Winter to Filey with, or Spurn.
It’s funny but now my families all grown up and long since left, the only birding I do is on my door step. Seem to have less time than ever!
Well I run my business from an office in filey my son works for me full time and we often go out for a walk lunchtimes often to the brig and sometimes if it’s raining we drive Round to the Dams don’t tend to see a lot round there though

O M W