Bird of the day

Cap'n Fishy

Actually saw a chiffchaff yesterday. Usually just hear them and then stand looking up into branches and not seeing them. He was doing a bit singing (if you can call it that) and then flitting and picking at the branches for a few seconds then doing a bit more singing.

Haven't started taking the camera out with me - still 'breaking-in' the new hip - and still on a shortened route - but could have got a wren sitting singing on a post yesterday. Heard a GSW drumming on a tree and a heard and saw a black cap singing. All starting to get a bit more spring-like. Pity about the snow that fell, middle of the afternoon!

Col

Just waiting to see the wheatears again,lovely bird.Got french partridges visiting now and female pheasants were out for a wander this morning.Got blue tits nesting in box I put up last year and they battled the storms and winds over the last few days.

Rhithrogena

Pretry sure I saw a Corncrake in a gateway next to Colliford Lake the other eve. Pulled over and went back to look, but it was gone...If it was it was a first for me, but not for Cornwall. Can't think what else that size and colour it could have been?
Maybe stopping over for a breather on it's way north after being stalled by the cold northerlies?

Cap'n Fishy

Had a go at driving today (new hip now 4 weeks old). Went to the Figgate Park – decent distance for a trial drive and for a walk up to the top and back. Took the camera. On the way up, I heard a great spotted woodpecker. I homed-in on it, as did a couple coming the other way. I spotted him, high up in a big tree. Decided it was just about worth a photo. Half-way through getting the camera out, it flew off! Probably would have been too distant anyway.

After that, there were various half chances at LTTs. But I ended up with zero keepers for my efforts. Just way too restless. Heard chiffchaffs. Unable to spot any!

So, ended up with a few very common garden birds. The light was a bit bright and brassy, but it helped keep the ISO down, so heavy crops were quite presentable...

Dunnock...

FiggatePark12Apr21_8783.jpg

He was doing a bit of singing. Quite under-rated wee songster, I thought.

Hen blackie...

FiggatePark12Apr21_8797.jpg

FiggatePark12Apr21_8812.jpg

Her hubby...

FiggatePark12Apr21_8859.jpg

FiggatePark12Apr21_8901.jpg

Male chaffinch....

FiggatePark12Apr21_8823.jpg

FiggatePark12Apr21_8831.jpg

Col

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Just waiting to see the wheatears again,lovely bird.

Wheatears have been on the north coast for over a week now.
The osprey turned up this afternoon but the geese and whooper swans are still hanging around and don't seem interested in braving the North Atlantic yet, I guess they will go this week.

I will now invite derision... today in Sutherland I saw (but did not hear because I was driving) two cuckoos. This is about ten days early but there you go.

Andy

codyarrow

Not the cuckoo.:( It's the only thing that makes me want to chuck in the countryside, and has me longing for the peace of an urban riot.

Overmiwadrers

Stopped on the sea front on the way to the office and watched the peregrines on the cliffs , they are an amazing creature. Otherwise the other lunchtime added chiff chaff and black cap to this summers list.

O M W

JayP

Exploring our national trust membership took me to Wicken fen today, fairly local in a 45 minute drive away and unbelievably pretty quiet. Highlight was seeing three marsh harriers working the reed beds which was worth every penny of the NT membership fee

easker1

they were far enough away from each other, but the resident cat had a shrew despite my Grand daughter trying to stop it,easker1

BobP

I was watching the rabbits in the meadow behind my house early this morning through the binoculars and having a laugh at the ineptitude of next door's cat trying to catch on. Totally hopeless and the rabbits seemed to know it. I scanned across the field and spotted a male blackbird that appeared to have some white on its chest. It was broadside on so I watched it, hoping it would turn and face me. It did, and on its chest was a perfect white crescent shape stretching from side to side. I noticed, too, that its wing feathers were a little bit more grey in colour rather than the black one would expect from a male blackbird.

The only bird in the book that fits what I saw is a Ring Ouzel, but what is one doing hopping around in a grass meadow used as a horse paddock in Wiltshire?

Cap'n Fishy

I was watching the rabbits in the meadow behind my house early this morning through the binoculars and having a laugh at the ineptitude of next door's cat trying to catch on. Totally hopeless and the rabbits seemed to know it. I scanned across the field and spotted a male blackbird that appeared to have some white on its chest. It was broadside on so I watched it, hoping it would turn and face me. It did, and on its chest was a perfect white crescent shape stretching from side to side. I noticed, too, that its wing feathers were a little bit more grey in colour rather than the black one would expect from a male blackbird.

The only bird in the book that fits what I saw is a Ring Ouzel, but what is one doing hopping around in a grass meadow used as a horse paddock in Wiltshire?

Might be a leucistic bird. It's a common mutation causing lack of pigment in some of the plumage. Stands out more on birds with black plumage. Used to see it on blackbirds here, but these days it is the crows that have a lot of it...

ArthurSeat14_1523.jpg

Arthurs-Seat-2014_1869.jpg

easker1

heard the Red throated divers going over the house to day and other divers probably great northern yodelling out on the loch, some times see them but the are usually way out ,coal tits on the peanuts and the usual blue tits as well , my Granddaughter was watching an otter along the shore last evening, easker1

Latest posts