Bird of the day

Cap'n Fishy

Just spotted the local carrion crows doing their annual attack on the tree across the road from me. It seems to be a particular favourite as a source of nesting material. It's not a free ride - they have to work hard at it, to strip bark off, or break twigs off. The fact they put in a lot of effort makes me think it is maybe adding some value in the way of parasite repellent? :unsure: No idea.

Anyway, I took these shots a couple of years ago when there was a major assault on one of the branches over a couple of weeks...

Col

codyarrow

Good point. Probably is an anti bacterial / parasite thing. You can extract quinine from some African trees. Never considered it before.

This one below may be classed as a parasite. Rare visitor to the Loch this morning, forced in land by the bad sea conditions would be my guess. Never stay longer than 2 days on this particular water. The dog got within 3m of it, which I thought odd.
IMG_0634.JPG

Cap'n Fishy

This one below may be classed as a parasite. Rare visitor to the Loch this morning, forced in land by the bad sea conditions would be my guess. Never stay longer than 2 days on this particular water. The dog got within 3m of it, which I thought odd.
Quite apart from all the ones on the fishing lochs, we have urban ones here - sometimes on the Water of Leith, and on the ponds and lochs in the city. The Figgate Pond in Portobello has a good head of roach in it, and has resident otters that have tuned in to them. So has this guy...

For comparison, I was reliably informed that these were shags...

Col

codyarrow

The light through the wing is beautiful, excellent as per usual. I might use the time to try and improve my photography and take the camera off auto. :)
Mostly shags around the shoreline here. The only time I tend to see a cormorant is either on the river or the loch. Top left shag? I am not sure?

Even the crows were at the fishing this morning. Three or four in a couple inches of water, after the frogs I would guess.

Cap'n Fishy

Top left shag? I am not sure?
Yeh - I see what you mean. That one looks more like a cormorant. It was a trip round the islands of the Forth Estuary by the RSPB, and as we passed Inchmickery, the RSPB officer doing the commentary said: 'Those are shags'... but she may well have missed seeing that one of them was a cormorant.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Let's try to keep this moving along...

How about...

Black-throated diver...

I see them on many more lochs, than I did in the past. This may be thanks to RSPB efforts to help with nesting by putting out floating nesting platforms for them. They can barely walk on land and are really just flying, swimming, diving things. The thing with floating platforms is that in times of heavy rain, they rise with the water level and so a nest made close to shore on land does not get flooded-out. Really impressive-looking bird. These ones are on Loch Craggie, which has an RSPB floating platform on it.

Col

codyarrow

Black throated divers are occasional visitor to the lochs near me in the far north. Interesting about the floating platforms. Local gamekeeper tried them for a couple of seasons for ducks, he was from Yorkshire where they work well, up here he got no takers. He came to the conclusion otters made them floating platforms of death.:)

Two from tonight on a wire.IMG_0621.JPGIMG_0618.JPG

bobmiddlepoint

No pictures today but saw the first of the sand martins.
Also saw a male hen harrier and tonight a barn owl floated across the field. I'm always surprised to see barn owls in Sutherland, this one lives in a small barn just down the road. Surely they could never have survived the winters here in the past?
The last few days have seen a sudden influx of redwings heading north.

Andy

codyarrow

I'm always surprised to see barn owls in Sutherland, this one lives in a small barn just down the road. Surely they could never have survived the winters here in the past?

Andy
The same keeper I was on about with the failed floating duck platforms told me they arrived late 90's in decent numbers.

Cap'n Fishy

Saw my first wheatear today and then ,this afternoon another 2 feeding in the field.Great to see them
One of our most handsome birds, and a fav of mine. I've never managed to get a decent photo of one, though I did get an offer from one a few years ago. I was dapping with an artificial daddy on Loch Fada, S Uist. A wheatear that was stooging about on the rocks on the shoreline spotted it dancing across the water and flew out to get it. As he approached it, he realised it wasn't real and he didn't half give me a dirty look as he turned and flew away. 🤭

Col

It is Col,the colours are really beautiful.They skate across the fields so fast.But the band across the eyes do fascinate me,like a robber lol.

4wings

These are all amazing photos, my birds of the day are the pair of Buzzards circling high in the blue sky,
above our house. I am worried that the recent infill building had pushed a lot of bats and birds out that used the huge old back gardens. We have no Tawny owls, Serotine bats, the BullFinches have not shown
and I have not seen a Pipistrelle bat yet damn developers!

Oldbones

Went for a walk to a river, saw this, don't know what it is, long distance shot so not the best.
IMG_1222 (2).JPG