Bird of the day

diawl bach

We have a couple of Canada geese nesting on the island in our bit of river, I'm wondering if they'll get flooded tonight after the rain. Pretty sure it was this pair which nested successfully in 2019 and have given some flippant thought to whether they have some sort of sixth sense about avoiding floods - today's downpours will test that.
The solitary shelduck spotted above our paddock a couple of weeks back has taken up residence on the river which is rather odd, always saw them as saltwater birds, I have no idea why it's there, perhaps it's injured, seems healthy enough though. Maybe it's old and out to pasture for its last year.
A pair of swans have moved in too, the first pair for three or four years, all very decorative and very much appreciated, it adds a zing to the place.

swans 2021 ii ed.jpg

swans 2021 ed.jpg

codyarrow

Working outside all day - not seen a swallow yet. Most years always see the odd one at back end of April and several in first days of May. It did snow today though. Cuckoo's been around a few days, and my own personal cuckoo turned up at 5.00am this morning.:(

BobP

I was guiding on the River Test One Fly comp on Friday and there were 6 Green Woodpeckers trying to outdo each other in the trees near the river. The nearest one was no more than 30 yards away but could I see it?? 6 of the b*ggers laughing hysterically at our efforts which were not totally in vain. Noisy blighters.

My river keeper chum on the Kennet told me yesterday that there are at least 500 swallows and martins over the river eating "his" fly. I'll look out for them today.

Overmiwadrers

Lots of swallows here and saw first house martin at lunchtime. Also some more Blackcaps and Yellow Wagtails. Doesnt feel much like summer though

O M W

ohanzee

One resident swallow arrived, currently going mental defending it's bit of overhanging roof from no one in particular, is it my imagination or are swallows arriving in ones and two's? is there something going on there?

There was a picture of dead swallows at sea,im hoping it isnt as bad as it looked.Saw one flying around house and waiting for more to arrive to nest.Miss their chatter in mornings and they do cheer you up.Rooks ,very clever birds,seem to have found the food at feeders and now tied down as they were lifting them off.both bird boxes now rented out.1 blue tit and unsure on the other.possibly(hope) siskins.

The Endrick Spider

There was a picture of dead swallows at sea,im hoping it isnt as bad as it looked.Saw one flying around house and waiting for more to arrive to nest.Miss their chatter in mornings and they do cheer you up.Rooks ,very clever birds,seem to have found the food at feeders and now tied down as they were lifting them off.both bird boxes now rented out.1 blue tit and unsure on the other.possibly(hope) siskins.
I purchased one of those post box ornaments, (bird box) from a catalogue to hang on the garden shed but the birds never used it. This year I drilled some holes in the base to let the air circulate and the blue tits occupied it right away.

I purchased one of those post box ornaments, (bird box) from a catalogue to hang on the garden shed but the birds never used it. This year I drilled some holes in the base to let the air circulate and the blue tits occupied it right away.
This is my first year with the boxes and seem to have worked well.quite pleased with themInteresting about holes in the bottom.

Cap'n Fishy

Had a day on our club water for the first time this season yesterday. Took the big lens in case of getting a decent shot of our pet ospreys. Managed a couple...

Osprey07May21_9572.jpg

Osprey07May21_9578.jpg

Osprey07May21_9587.jpg

There were a couple of great-crested grebes doing a bit of displaying to one-another, but I never got a chance at a shot of them. Closest I got to either... and it's a heavy crop...

Grebe07May21_9546.jpg

Col

ohanzee

Couple more swallows arrived, definitely a bit slow and patchy, last year I woke up to twittering chatter and they had all but moved in, this year it's drips and drabs, love the sound just being around the place, only thing better is the high pitched screams of swifts.

codyarrow

Our club was on Glencorse Res on Sunday. Heard a cuckoo calling all day. Today, my pal Ron sent me a shot of the very bird we were hearing...

Cuckoo-1-1024x1024.jpg
I can't claim to be a good photographer, but I am surrounded by cuckoo's for 6 weeks for the last 16 years, one calling now!. Despite this I've never managed even a half decent shot.
Your mate deserves a well done.

diawl bach

I heard my first cuckoo and skylark yesterday on a hike up the Preselis to Carn Beca by Mynachlog-ddu, great day, the Teifi's choco so fly fishing's out.

codyarrow

IMG_1917 (3).JPG
Taken about half an hour ago from the bedroom window. Only had a 55mm lens on, and it is through glass.
Seem to like that tree in particular - but if I go outside with a camera they won't land on it!