Bird of the day

diawl bach

We have a couple of Canada geese nesting on the island in our bit of river, I'm wondering if they'll get flooded tonight after the rain. Pretty sure it was this pair which nested successfully in 2019 and have given some flippant thought to whether they have some sort of sixth sense about avoiding floods - today's downpours will test that.
The solitary shelduck spotted above our paddock a couple of weeks back has taken up residence on the river which is rather odd, always saw them as saltwater birds, I have no idea why it's there, perhaps it's injured, seems healthy enough though. Maybe it's old and out to pasture for its last year.
A pair of swans have moved in too, the first pair for three or four years, all very decorative and very much appreciated, it adds a zing to the place.

swans 2021 ii ed.jpg

swans 2021 ed.jpg

codyarrow

Working outside all day - not seen a swallow yet. Most years always see the odd one at back end of April and several in first days of May. It did snow today though. Cuckoo's been around a few days, and my own personal cuckoo turned up at 5.00am this morning.:(

BobP

I was guiding on the River Test One Fly comp on Friday and there were 6 Green Woodpeckers trying to outdo each other in the trees near the river. The nearest one was no more than 30 yards away but could I see it?? 6 of the b*ggers laughing hysterically at our efforts which were not totally in vain. Noisy blighters.

My river keeper chum on the Kennet told me yesterday that there are at least 500 swallows and martins over the river eating "his" fly. I'll look out for them today.

ohanzee

One resident swallow arrived, currently going mental defending it's bit of overhanging roof from no one in particular, is it my imagination or are swallows arriving in ones and two's? is there something going on there?

Latest posts