Black Doctor.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Must be the first fly I've tied in over two month and really down to laziness not topping up on various materials which is a constant battle with these flies. I tend to think these days that the challenge is not tying these flies but trying to procure suitable materials at affordable prices especially some of the more hard to get stuff. Anyway this is the Black Doctor which is more or less the Pryce-Tannatt version minus the light mottled Turkey (mine being only long enough for about size #1.5 which aint gonna cut it here). Tied on a Mustad 3371 blind eye sproat hook size 2/0 slightly modified.

Black Doctor.

0Ppc2Jc.jpg

Tag - oval silver tinsel and yellow floss.
Tail - GP topping & Indian Crow (substitute used).
Butt - red wool.
Body - black floss.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel.
Hackle - dark claret cock hackle.
Throat - Guinea Fowl (Gallina).
Wings - GP tippets, Bustard, GP tail, Peacock wing, Florican Bustard, Light mottled Turkey (omitted), Goose dyed red, blue and yellow, Bronze Mallard and GP topping over.
Sides - Barred Wood Duck and Teal married.
Head - red wool.​

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

Last edited:

baca157

Welcome back Mark. And what a comeback it is!

Absolutely stunning.

I feel your pain regarding materials. It was always a rich man's hobby but it's getting worse evey year...

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Welcome back Mark. And what a comeback it is!

Absolutely stunning.

I feel your pain regarding materials. It was always a rich man's hobby but it's getting worse evey year...

Cheers,
Sebastian
So why's a poor s*d like me doing it then?:p Thanks Sebastian looking forward to your next fly which I know is in the offing. ;)

petevicar

Hi Mark
It is great to see these wonderful examples of your craft again. Or this one.

I have been lacking in inspiration over the past weeks and maybe this is enough to give me a kick to get back to the vice and practicing.
I have been practicing a lot.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Pete

baca157

So why's a poor s*d like me doing it then?:p Thanks Sebastian looking forward to your next fly which I know is in the offing. ;)
Must be a form of self punishment Mark. Can’t think of any other reason:p

Just posted my latest on the forum. I owe you big thanks for suggesting I should get in touch with Yasuhiro.

Cheers,
Sebastian

jack_russell

What a load of rubbish - send it my way & I'll dispose of it for you!🤪

Joking of course - that is absolutely top draw, I'm seriously envious of the guys & gals that can tie these flies!👍

wingman

Hi Mark
It is great to see these wonderful examples of your craft again. Or this one.

I have been lacking in inspiration over the past weeks and maybe this is enough to give me a kick to get back to the vice and practicing.
I have been practicing a lot.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Pete

Thanks Pete glad it got you thinking again and good that you've been practicing which I'm sure will be noticeable in your future flies. Incidentally I don't know what you've been using for the gut eye but Arno Geldenhuys a friend of mine on Facebook has a good SBS on how to make it using fishing line and has improvised his own gut twisting method which gives a really nice twist to the gut giving it an authentic classic look which is hard to tell the difference from the real thing. The link is here if you're interested;
Must be a form of self punishment Mark. Can’t think of any other reason:p

Just posted my latest on the forum. I owe you big thanks for suggesting I should get in touch with Yasuhiro.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Will have to go and take a gander. I'm pleased you got the hooks off Yasuhiro and god knows how many he's done now,what a legend that man is.
What a load of rubbish - send it my way & I'll dispose of it for you!🤪

Joking of course - that is absolutely top draw, I'm seriously envious of the guys & gals that can tie these flies!👍
Thanks jack_russell it's a challenge for sure and many fall by the wayside and I'm still hanging in but I nearly gave up a few times in the early days for sure. :)

tj hooker

Class Mark if that fly was posted up just as a pic I'd know it was yours in two seconds nobody does the wings quite like you from the Tippets to the wing perfect good to see them again.

wingman

Class Mark if that fly was posted up just as a pic I'd know it was yours in two seconds nobody does the wings quite like you from the Tippets to the wing perfect good to see them again.
Thanks Grahame I don't always know how the wing will come out and I usually manage to nail it on the first go which means I'm very reluctant to take it off again if things look 'out' so it's always a relief if it looks passable for want of a better word.

Last edited:

arkle

Great to see you at the vice again Mark, I was beginning to think of sending you some WD40, but it looks like that's the last thing you need.

iainmortimer

Thanks Pete glad it got you thinking again and good that you've been practicing which I'm sure will be noticeable in your future flies. Incidentally I don't know what you've been using for the gut eye but Arno Geldenhuys a friend of mine on Facebook has a good SBS on how to make it using fishing line and has improvised his own gut twisting method which gives a really nice twist to the gut giving it an authentic classic look which is hard to tell the difference from the real thing. The link is here if you're interested;

Will have to go and take a gander. I'm pleased you got the hooks off Yasuhiro and god knows how many he's done now,what a legend that man is.

Thanks jack_russell it's a challenge for sure and many fall by the wayside and I'm still hanging in but I nearly gave up a few times in the early days for sure. :)
That's exactly the method I use. I just loop the nylon each end and hang off from a window handle. Top tip, attach the leads so that when hung at the start, both hand exactly level. You can then spin the first up, hold and then simply spin the second until it rises to the same height. It ensures you get a nice even braid.

wingman

That's exactly the method I use. I just loop the nylon each end and hang off from a window handle. Top tip, attach the leads so that when hung at the start, both hand exactly level. You can then spin the first up, hold and then simply spin the second until it rises to the same height. It ensures you get a nice even braid.
I'm assuming you're using three strands Iain and not two but he does actually mention to keep the weights level with each other in the clip. Amazingly enough I've managed to tie every fly so far using silk gut but I've decided to resort to using the fishing line method once my current supply of gut is finished as it makes far more sense cost wise. If you can produce something for next to nothing that looks pretty much like the genuine article then it's a no brainer and I've spent far too much money on silk gut since I started on these flies so the stupidity ends now.

iainmortimer

I'm assuming you're using three strands Iain and not two but he does actually mention to keep the weights level with each other in the clip. Amazingly enough I've managed to tie every fly so far using silk gut but I've decided to resort to using the fishing line method once my current supply of gut is finished as it makes far more sense cost wise. If you can produce something for next to nothing that looks pretty much like the genuine article then it's a no brainer and I've spent far too much money on silk gut since I started on these flies so the stupidity ends now.
Sorry yes, it is three strands. I wind each seperately with the weights on the end and then let them unwind together. It’s quite hypnotic to watch them braiding together.

At a guess they started about 3’ long but each shortened by about 6” when twisted which really surprised me that it was that much!

This is tied with my homemade nylon ‘gut’
9DEE5967-0B71-426F-9C5A-0A94AC713159.jpeg

4A4725A6-6074-43BC-878E-0FB6BE25A893.jpeg

Last edited:

wingman

Sorry yes, it is three strands. I wind each seperately with the weights on the end and then let them unwind together. It’s quite hypnotic to watch them braiding together.

At a guess they started about 3’ long but each shorted by about 6” when twisted which really surprised me that it was that much!

This is tied with my homemade nylon ‘gut’
View attachment 36616

View attachment 36617

Nice Thunder & Lightning there you're coming on a bit now. I was actually using a power drill to twist my gut which gives a slightly different twist than a gut twister or the weights method above which in my opinion gives a nicer more authentic looking twist so I'll be adopting it in future. The gut eye is ideally supposed to be just a bit less than the thickness of the hook so it's worth making some lengths up in various gauges for different sized hooks etc. I think if yours had a little tea or coffee stain on it it would look even more authentic.

iainmortimer

Nice Thunder & Lightning there you're coming on a bit now. I was actually using a power drill to twist my gut which gives a slightly different twist than a gut twister or the weights method above which in my opinion gives a nicer more authentic looking twist so I'll be adopting it in future. The gut eye is ideally supposed to be just a bit less than the thickness of the hook so it's worth making some lengths up in various gauges for different sized hooks etc. I think if yours had a little tea or coffee stain on it it would look even more authentic.

Thanks for the kind words. There is still plenty for me to work on that's for sure in both the tying and photography! In that photo the two bottom stripes of blue in the wing are prominent but disappeared in the photo due to shadowing (and a little bit of wing distortion). The Butt is too big (I now have some much better herl) and the head definitely needs some work! I do now feel a lot more confident in knowing what I am trying to deliver and why I fail to to do so and so oddly that makes me feel like I've advanced as I know what to do to try and improve.

Thanks for the tip on the gut thickness. That's the first time I've heard that and so another learning. I assume the thickness measure is the main body of wire rather than the thickness at end of the 'point' at the head of the hook?

The braid I used there, if I remember correctly, was made with 12lb B/S nylon for reference.

wingman

Thanks for the kind words. There is still plenty for me to work on that's for sure in both the tying and photography! In that photo the two bottom stripes of blue in the wing are prominent but disappeared in the photo due to shadowing (and a little bit of wing distortion). The Butt is too big (I now have some much better herl) and the head definitely needs some work! I do now feel a lot more confident in knowing what I am trying to deliver and why I fail to to do so and so oddly that makes me feel like I've advanced as I know what to do to try and improve.

Thanks for the tip on the gut thickness. That's the first time I've heard that and so another learning. I assume the thickness measure is the main body of wire rather than the thickness at end of the 'point' at the head of the hook?

The braid I used there, if I remember correctly, was made with 12lb B/S nylon for reference.
Yes the thickness of the main body of the hook. I usually trim the butt and also herl heads with scissors to tidy them up because finding smaller herl is difficult these days. With the butt I usually trim right around with the scissors at a slight angle which takes the squareness off it and gives more of a tapered look. Similar with herl heads but taper is the opposite way. I reckon you could reduce the bulk of the butt down by half by trimming. You can also dampen the end of your finger slightly after trimming and carefully push the fibres of the herl towards the tail rotating the vice as you do it. This gives the herl a more natural look although while wet it looks not so good but once it dries it looks quite effective after a little fluff up with the fingers.

Last edited: