Black Friday Deals

dave b

Best deal I've seen is the Whiting Bronze grade saddles and 1/2 saddles on Sportfish. Unfortunately the one colour I want, Ginger, is out of stock .

The Stonfo Kaimen Vise on sale by Upavon Angling as per the first post is a cracking deal as I used to have one and thought it was a lovely little vise.

micka

Like others I looked at what was on offer in the sale and wasn't overly impressed.

I know the subject has been done to death on the Forum but looking at the prices of fly rods, reels and lines in the UK you get the feeling that game anglers pay way too hefty a price for their tackle. Whether it's because economies of scale don't apply in the same way as they do for coarse fishing and retailers rely on a big mark up on the wholesale price I'm not sure. And by the way I always supported my local tackle shop at Mickle Trafford but sadly that's gone the way of so many others and I really miss its convenience.

Well my answer to get some value was to avoid the big online boys and buy a Piscifun Sword II fly reel for just under £40. I'd watched a US review or two of it and when the reel arrived I concurred with the reviewers - a beautiful, CNC machined reel with a silk like drag and a solid and smooth black coating and not a micro bit of play in it.

If it had a Hardy or Sage badge on it (all made in Korea - this is Chinese) I would have paid over £200. If it was a US reel perhaps touching £300. It gave me a lovely feeling of having acquired a true bargain. It's now wrapped as Christmas prezzie from my wife, a wonderful way to avoid more socks and get something that actually excites you.

Mick

Last edited:
G

GEK79

Like others I looked at what was on offer in the sale and wasn't overly impressed.

I know the subject has been done to death on the Forum but looking at the prices of fly rods, reels and lines in the UK you get the feeling that game anglers pay way too hefty price for their tackle. Whether it's because economies of scale don't apply in the same way as they do for coarse fishing and retailers rely on a big mark up on the wholesale price I'm not sure. And by the way I always supported my local tackle shop at Mickle Trafford but sadly that's gone the way of so many others and I really miss it's convenience.

Well my answer to get some value was to avoid the big online boys and buy a Piscifun Sword II fly reel for just under £40. I'd watched a US review or two of it and when the reel arrived I concurred with the reviewers - a beautiful, CNC machined reel with a silk like drag and a solid and smooth black coating and not a micro bit of play in it.

If it had a Hardy or Sage badge on it (all made in Korea - this is Chinese) I would have paid over £200. If it was a US reel perhaps touching £300. It gave me a lovely feeling of having acquired a true bargain. It's now wrapped as Christmas prezzie from my wife, a wonderful way to avoid more socks and get something that actually excites you.

Mick
I've heard a few lads talking about piscifun.. Will await your update.

sean freeman

I bought a Piscifun sword for urban fishing and rock hopping up streams in Madeira a few years ago, places that I wouldn’t want to be using a more expensive reel, it’s handled some fairly big trout in that time too! I don’t think I’d buy another as I don’t want to support the practices behind Chinese manufacturing. Korean made isn’t too bad but where possible I like to buy US or Swedish made in the case of Danielsson.

This was caught this summer from a stinking urban river, was just over 20 inches but was so fat that I’d put it on the thick end of 4lbs.
A29F9745-88B0-46F4-B111-7DFB17A91ED4.jpeg

micka

I bought a Piscifun sword for urban fishing and rock hopping up streams in Madeira a few years ago, places that I wouldn’t want to be using a more expensive reel, it’s handled some fairly big trout in that time too! I don’t think I’d buy another as I don’t want to support the practices behind Chinese manufacturing. Korean made isn’t too bad but where possible I like to buy US or Swedish made in the case of Danielsson.

This was caught this summer from a stinking urban river, was just over 20 inches but was so fat that I’d put it on the thick end of 4lbs.
View attachment 32963

Well done Sean, a beautiful fish. The water must have had reasonable purity as the fish wouldn't be there - though the surrounds can be anything but pretty. An Epic glass fan too I see.

Conversely, some rural rivers can appear pristine, set as they are in beautiful scenery, but as stated in other threads they can be deceptive and suffer too much from intensive farming practices and poor sewage management.

BTW Sean I admire your principles but in this day and age you're going to find it nigh on impossible to avoid buying Chinese - any trip to B and Q, Screwfix or Wickes etc. is full of very affordable Chinese goods (not to mention Apple) and so it goes on.

Mick

sean freeman

Well done Sean, a beautiful fish. The water must have had reasonable purity as the fish wouldn't be there - though the surrounds can be anything but pretty. An Epic glass fan too I see.

Conversely, some rural rivers can appear pristine, set as they are in beautiful scenery, but as stated in other threads they can be deceptive and suffer too much from intensive farming practices and poor sewage management.

BTW Sean I admire your principles but in this day and age you're going to find it nigh on impossible to avoid buying Chinese - any trip to B and Q, Screwfix or Wickes etc. is full of very affordable Chinese goods (not to mention Apple) and so it goes on.

Mick
Yeah sadly it’s unavoidable now, if they cleaned up their act I wouldn’t have a problem but if that happened their products would no longer appeal as the price would rise.

That particular river is beautiful when it’s running clear but there are daily sewerage discharges and on one short stretch of a few hundred metres there are three outlets! The tree branches are full of tissue paper and sanitary products, it’s a very sorry sight but I do wonder whether an improved environment would increase the head of fish and therefor the current situation where you find a large trout alone in each pool would change? I can only assume it would, a few of the tribs are great nursery streams that are full of small fish so maybe they just drop down from there.

pati

Farlows has vision ikon zip for 160£... Not a bad discount!

benisa

Which Mag did a report and most goods that are reduced now/ were the same or cheaper in the summer/ just a way to get rid of old stock
See Marks + Next did not do one + others

harrypalmer

Anyone encountered any good deals that are worth sharing? A couple that I've seen:

Stonfo Taimen fly tying vice for £104.99 (£40-50 cheaper than anyone else) from Upavon Fly Fishing. I'm not sure it's even a black friday deal or not but worth sharing.

Airflo have some reductions on their website. I bought one of their trucker hats for £6.99.

Orvis have some big reductions - £25 off a £50 spend, £50 off a £200 spend, £75 off a £250 spend.just to save anyone else the trouble

Anyone encountered any good deals that are worth sharing? A couple that I've seen:

Stonfo Taimen fly tying vice for £104.99 (£40-50 cheaper than anyone else) from Upavon Fly Fishing. I'm not sure it's even a black friday deal or not but worth sharing.

Airflo have some reductions on their website. I bought one of their trucker hats for £6.99.

Orvis have some big reductions - £25 off a £50 spend, £50 off a £200 spend, £75 off a £250 spend.
Just a short post to save anyone else the inconvenience- I had shortlisted the Kaimen vice so thought I would take advantage of the Upavon price Ian kindly mentioned, but I have just had the order cancelled as they had the price wrong on their website.

ian1104

Just a short post to save anyone else the inconvenience- I had shortlisted the Kaimen vice so thought I would take advantage of the Upavon price Ian kindly mentioned, but I have just had the order cancelled as they had the price wrong on their website.
A shame... I ordered mine a few days ago. It was sent 1st class signed for, but I'm still waiting for the delivery. Hopefully, it arrives!

harrypalmer

A shame... I ordered mine a few days ago. It was sent 1st class signed for, but I'm still waiting for the delivery. Hopefully, it arrives!
That sounds like you should be in luck Ian, it's certainly a very well made looking vice. I would be interested to hear what you think of it.