Black mould and split ferrule: are this rod's days numbered...?

andysan

Anyone have experience with issues like this? The rod casts fine and stays joined together, but I worry the split in the ferrule will get worse or the rod will snap at the apparently mouldy area (also - could it be anything but mould?).

Is it worth anticipating things going south and going ahead with replacing the ferrules and trimming down the mouldy section? It looks like I'd only be losing about 3 inches which I don't think would change the action too much. I actually think that at 8'3" the rod is about 3" too long!

I don't mind taking on a wee project, but maybe this rod's time has passed...
IMG-9258.jpg
IMG-9257.jpg
IMG-9256.jpg
IMG-9255.jpg

stevel

I think the ferrule would be fairly easy to remove and replace with a new one (builders on here could confirm) but the mould may be a trickier problem. You may have rot.
If it wasn't an expensive rod or of sentimental value then I'd probably give it a miss as the cost would be high for a full strip, rewrap and dip alone.

splinters

There are others with more experience than me so take this opinion for what it's worth........
If the rod casts ok the marks may be staining from a rotten guide. Note I only say may.
The ferrule needs replaced or the rod's time is indeed up. Split ferrules only get worse. You may find a delamination under the ferrule caused by water entry, it's a simple fix.
Don't shorten the rod.
This is a fairly easy DIY repair, the only fiddly part would be if the ferrule is pinned.
I'll walk you through it if you want.
S.

andysan

There are others with more experience than me so take this opinion for what it's worth........
If the rod casts ok the marks may be staining from a rotten guide. Note I only say may.
The ferrule needs replaced or the rod's time is indeed up. Split ferrules only get worse. You may find a delamination under the ferrule caused by water entry, it's a simple fix.
Don't shorten the rod.
This is a fairly easy DIY repair, the only fiddly part would be if the ferrule is pinned.
I'll walk you through it if you want.
S.
Funny you should say that - the guide at the black area *does* look in much worse nick than the rest of them and it had crossed my mind this might be the source of the discolouration - fingers crossed.

If i can find a ferrule the right size at a reasonable price I'll change it (in light of potential mould it would be silly to pay too much). Kind of you to offer a walkthrough, I'll have a read up about it and will message if it seems out of my depth. Ta!

andysan

I would wrap the ferrule with medium Copper wire and solder it, easker1
And then sand down? Given that the rod might be on its way out because of the mould, this might be a cost effective idea vs replacement. Have you done this before?

andysan

I think the ferrule would be fairly easy to remove and replace with a new one (builders on here could confirm) but the mould may be a trickier problem. You may have rot.
If it wasn't an expensive rod or of sentimental value then I'd probably give it a miss as the cost would be high for a full strip, rewrap and dip alone.
Definitely not worth a full job! Was basically pennies, no sentimental value, so i'm open to DIYing and experimenting!

stevel

Definitely not worth a full job! Was basically pennies, no sentimental value, so i'm open to DIYing and experimenting!
Someone I know on SpeyPages bought (or had inherited) an old Hardy speyrod and he completely stripped it himself, took off and redid all the guides, revarnished (not dipped) and sanded the corks.
It looked great!
I think apart from the labour which he did himself, it cost very little.
I just had some bamboos rewrapped and wraps touched up by Gary Marshall and it was a couple of hundred, so as you suggest it's going to have to be a DIY job because a full refurbish would be pretty pricey.

sealine

you must replace the ferrule.

take off the rings with black stain under . remove the adjacent varnish. use a sharp stanley blade and scrape away the varnish and also scrape the stain. slope the blade away from the direction of travel .do nothing that might cut the cane . then see what you have to deal with . black stain is common with old rods and steel rings . it is rare that it is associated with rot . i expect you will find that you can cover most or all of the stain by using slightly longer wraps when putting the rod back together . i expect you will reuse the old rings . clean them thoroughly. putting them in the dishwasher on a sticky up bit does a good job. clear the rod of rings and varnish and as much of the stain that will come of easily. don't attempt to remove the stain by removing cane , and then give each section a light rub with fine sandpaper , working in one direction only and doing the whole length of the section in one stroke . then clean each section with meths. when you refit the rings give each area that the ring will fit a single smear of acrylic varnish and let it dry . that will stop any more staining taking place . if you need to know more send me a pm . i DIY rebuild with a new ferrule should not cost more than about £50. and a good standard is perfectly achievable.
cheers Dave

Latest posts