Black Pennell (variation)

philm

A bit of a departure from the original, this is what 'my' Pennell has evolved into over the years.

hook: Fulling Mill heavyweight champ, size 12
thread: black
tag: silver tinsel
tail: golden pheasant tippet, dyed red
rib: oval silver
body: seal fur blend, 75% black 25% red
cheeks: jungle cock split
hackle: furnace hen​

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

why , why would you change such a classic flythat much? , its hardly recognisable as a pennell, was it not fishing good enough for you?did your catch rates improve ?,i use them on the river and find them very reliable, to me it would be a top 3 in the box,and for lough fishing i did replace it but with a jb though,which is a pennell with palmer and jungle cock ears ,dont ask if it catches more ,but it does give me confidence when using it ,by the way its still a stunning fly and will still copy it it just doesent say pennell thats all

Attachments

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

i just tied one there out of curiousity, may be you could call it" the lack pennell , imo "theres no resembelance toit the rib is the only thing left of the originallol
phills pennell 12.jpg

Last edited:

philm

Hi Dooby

The original Black Pennell has never been a particularly effective fly for me on the Midland reservoirs, this one can work just fine though. Give it a try, it would be interesting to see how it goes on your patch.

I could give the fly a different name but it isn't a very original concept and I'm sure that there are people with something very similar in their boxes. I quite like your name "Lack Pennell" though, that could stick!

Phil

4wings

A bit of a departure from the original, this is what 'my' Pennell has evolved into over the years.

hook: Fulling Mill heavyweight champ, size 12
thread: black
tag: silver tinsel
tail: golden pheasant tippet, dyed red
rib: oval silver
body: seal fur blend, 75% black 25% red
cheeks: jungle cock split
hackle: furnace hen​
Looks like my hair this morning.