Blob tying

paul100

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advise on tying blobs - can you crowd the hook too much or will the hook find the jaws of the fish if taken ?

I've just tied a few on B175 size 12 and although I myself can feel the hook, I cant see the hook on my tying but when I view the images on the net the hooks are very visible?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Last edited:

wrongfoot

One of the patterns that justify different hooks. Unfortunately it's not easy to search the forums unless you already know the appropriate hook codes so you were right to ask rather than search.
Most people use various wide gape specimen hooks (for carp fishing etc.) to get a fly that fits within a 5/8th's inch completion size without blinding the hook under the chenille.

I used Kamasan B980 in size 6 max to get a short shank that would fit within a competition gauge with a wide gape when tying my blobs. B981 is barbless and the B982 is heavy wire to get a legal fly that will sink faster without lead. A size 4 is also great, but not competition legal.

There are other options. https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/threads/blob-hooks.10373/

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

Rob.flies~2.JPG

These are mine tied on size 8 or 10 Kamasan B130 ......shorter than a B175 and slightly wider gape ( also stronger), but without doubt the best blob and blob booby hook on the market.....( 980's bounce too many fish )

On a B175 size 12.... I would advise 4 or 5 turns of 15mm fritz, with about 1 to 1.5mm gap between each turn. This will allow the fritz to fold back and not obscure the hooks gape..

If using B175's I prefer a size 10 and dress it a touch shorter.

I always tie Fabs now rather than blobs with a 3mm ( size 12 hooks) or 4mm foam cylinder tail ( size 10 hook) ..... and dont cut the foam cylinder....keep it round so the fly is symmetrical and doesn't spin......if you don't want a FAB just pull out the foam tail and it's a blob..😉
IMG-20200111-WA0008~2.jpg

Last edited:

vital

If you aren't happy with the Blob's profile, you can always trim the undersides with your scissors to show more of the hook-point

Rob Edmunds

You can trim it but it's not ideal.....and if you do its better to trim the fly with the scissors at 90 degrees to the fritz body ( on the underside)....so your doing it like a hairdresser would and "layering" I think it's called......your basically taking out the bulk rather than the length of the fritz..

Longer fibres pulsate - spread out more when the fly is paused or on the hang..

t44

By coincidence I’ve just taken delivery of some 15mm tequila fritz, having previously bought commercial patterns, with a view to tying my own FABs. I only fish small still waters, some have a single fly rule, so these will be for use ‘booby’ style with a sinking line, rather than within a washing line team. I note after Rob’s comments that my current ones are tied with cylinders that have been cut in half lengthwise, I wonder if this is why they lose their buoyancy after a while, and need squeezing out and treating to avoid pulling weed. As I’m looking to create FABs that will have a degree of buoyancy so that in 15-20 ft of water they will rise slowly back up between pulls, what size foam cylinders should I buy? They’ll mostly be sz 12 and 14. A quick google reveals a wide range of suggestions, so any advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

original cormorant

Small still water, so I presume from the bank. My observations are size 14 is quite small, what line are you using, how many flies are you fishing and how long is your leader?

I don't understand what's going on if you are sqeezing out and treating fabs. It's CLOSED cell foam.

For this role I would use a straightforward booby rather than a fab, and probably have a leader up to about 7 feet long with 3 different colour boobies - black on the point and the top one about 2 feet from the flyline. Di7.

If you use 3 or 4mm booby cord you can always trim it.

t44

Hi OC, yes bank fishing. Over previous winters I tried various methods, incl booby’s and various shrimp patterns fished deep, these lakes are full of gammarus and hog louse, but nothing worked regularly. Experience of these lakes in the Summer says fish small, I catch mostly on pheasant tail variants sz 18 and 20. So 2 winters ago i bought some commercial FABs in sz 12&14 and it was instant success with a tequila one. Last winter was the same, I was regularly taking my limit (c&r) whilst others were struggling. I added a bouyant gammarus pattern on a dropper and this accounted for some bigger fish and the odd resident brownie. Unable to get there so far this winter, not really local! Back to the problem then, I suspect the reason my current ones take on water is the foam cylinders are cut length ways ie a half circle shape. Rob s comments suggested this will also affect the way they fish, so it seems likely leaving the cylinder whole is best and vary the length to alter the buoyancy. I’m tempted to start with 4mm foam and see how they fish, although this may need to wait until next winter now!
Cheers

Rob Edmunds

You're best bet is to used a high density closed cell foam for more buoyancy....and a good quality foam really does make a difference. ( Waspi)

You can use say 6 or 7mm foam and cut it in half, personally I never manage to get it level , and I much prefer perfectly symmetrical FAB tails and booby eyes or there will be some degree of spin......but it really depends on the size of the hook, the size of the foam tail etc as to how much it spins

Any foam will loose its buoyancy through use, getting squashed , roughed up etc..with cheap foam its usually after a few fish....same with boobies .....just remember that and change them when needed

Same with bright flies, they loose colour as dye fades, or gets sun bleached or gets blood stained etc.....personally I don't expect flies to last more than 6 - 8 fish.

If match fishing I always use new flies in every match, and if I miss 2 takes I change the fly irrespective of what it looks like, it could just be sitting slightly wrong in the water, hook may be a touch off etc.........anyway it would play on my mind and so it goes...

Snakes, Zonkers and Minkies are other patterns that you must really take care of....dry them straight, and once you get home or they will be ruined.......the fur holds water like a sponge and rusts even top quality hooks under the dressing so you can't see it.....you hook a decent fish and the hook snaps and you wonder why....

Last edited:

t44

Some gems there Rob many thanks....and yes my tequila blobs have caught so many fish now they’re battered and getting dull hence wanting to tie some new ones whilst I can’t get to the lakes.
Cheers