Blood Knot

FlyForumAdmin

Blood knot

Use: Joining two lengths of leader material

Description: A good knot for joining lengths of nylon, for example when making up leaders, and if it is tied with the tag end of the length nearest the fly line left long, that end can be used as a dropper. This knot was named after its inventor and it does need some practice to be able to tie it quickly and well.

Tying:

1. Cross the ends of both lengths of nylon about 100mm from the end. Hold the crossing point between the thumb and fore finger of one hand and use your other hand to take five turns of one line around the other.

blood1_m.jpeg

2. Pass the end of this line through between the crossover point of the two lines. You will now need to hold the crossover point with the thumb and forefinger of your other hand.

blood2_m.jpeg

3. Make five turns with the other end round the line and pass the end through the crossover point, as before, but making sure that it is from the opposite direction.

blood3_m.jpeg

4. Moisten the knot and tighten it slowly by pulling on the main lengths of nylon.

5. Trim off the tag ends.

blood4_m.jpeg

Graphics of knots drawn by Tim Pegg of Thilmcraft Graphics. E-mail: thilm@paston.co.uk

Ephemerella

Blood knot

Description: A good knot for joining lengths of nylon, for example when making up leaders, and if it is tied with the tag end of the length nearest the fly line left long, that end can be used as a dropper. .

I do the exact opposite, and always take my dropper from the stronger upper length of my tapered leader.
I thought this standard practice for sea trout at night, where about 75% take my dropper pattern. ;)

This knot was named after its inventor and it does need some practice to be able to tie it quickly and well.

FlyForumAdmin, surely some history and more information on the mysterious Mr (or Ms) Blood would be of interest to the readership? :)

Mostyn

Can simplify that knot by: creating a circle from the two pieces of mono laid side by side; and passing the tail end and tag of mono through the circle three times - pull on the mono from either side to tighten the knot, it's a simplified version of the above knot.

3lbgrayling

Can simplify that knot by: creating a circle from the two pieces of mono laid side by side; and passing the tail end and tag of mono through the circle three times - pull on the mono from either side to tighten the knot, it's a simplified version of the above knot.

Sounds very much like the water/surgeons knot.:confused:
I don't use a blood knot but surely one of the advantagesof this and the grinner is you do not have to pull the tail end through a loop.

Jim

taterdu

Blood knot

Description: ..... and if it is tied with the tag end of the length nearest the fly line left long, that end can be used as a dropper.

That is very poor 'advice'. It is excellent for joining two lengths of material where there's not too great a difference in diameter but it most definitely should not be used to create droppers. There are many, more secure options for droppers that are far simpler to tie such as the three turn water knot.

spadeadam

This knot is used frequently when making French leaders because the large knots aid turnover. It is also good for creating droppers (use the larger diameter tag as the dropper) because the dropper is at 90 degrees to the main line.

speytime

I do the exact opposite, and always take my dropper from the stronger upper length of my tapered leader.
I thought this standard practice for sea trout at night, where about 75% take my dropper pattern. ;)

FlyForumAdmin, surely some history and more information on the mysterious Mr (or Ms) Blood would be of interest to the readership? :)

Wouldn't it be better to change it to the point if you are catching 75% on it?

Or am I missing something?
Thanks Al

Tangled

I can't tie that bloody knot! Tried for years, far, far too fiddly on the bank. Three turn water knot is a lot easier and 'easier' means safer because you get it right more often.

Even eaier if you use the forcepts knot - good for bad fingers...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4QH-T6Xfk

Last edited:

speytime

Yes there's a few knots I'd use long before a blood knot, its a knot I've never used but tested recently with fluorocarbon to fly and it gave an increased strength 12/15% over a davy or fig 8?

I'm not sure its worth the added time tying it but its certainly knots well with g3 fluorocarbon and drennan double strength.

It feels like it's torturing/stressing the line having to pull it through the eye at such an angle to tighten it.

Maybe it's the way I'm tying it but the tag end is a bit unpredictable which isn't ideal for droppers?
Al

Last edited: