Blooming Hawthorns

3lbgrayling

I Don't know what it's like in your part of the country,but in my part of the Scottish central belt, this year has seen the biggest/best Hawthorn tree blossoms I can ever remember.It's spectacular.

Jim

Wee Jimmy

Aye but unfortunately a poor year for the hawthorn fly in my area. I think they all must have hatched last year, unbelievable numbers ...and nowhere was open for fishing...cheers..:(

ejw

I was in Castleford about 5 or 6 weeks ago and there were thousands flying around, I went home and tied a few "interesting" variations with the view to fish them on some lakes and my local river - Not seen one around here yet, still the patterns will keep until next season.

scobo

Aye but unfortunately a poor year for the hawthorn fly in my area. I think they all must have hatched last year, unbelievable numbers ...and nowhere was open for fishing...cheers..:(
Plenty up this way Jimmy.
The trees at the local park where I walk the dug are hoaching with them. Still hatching yet !
Haven't seen too many while out fishing though.

Wee Jimmy

Plenty up this way Jimmy.
The trees at the local park where I walk the dug are hoaching with them. Still hatching yet !
Haven't seen too many while out fishing though.
It’s remarkable how localised they can be Scott.

GEK79

I Don't know what it's like in your part of the country,but in my part of the Scottish central belt, this year has seen the biggest/best Hawthorn tree blossoms I can ever remember.It's spectacular.

Jim
👍👍That's a good thing isn't it Jim..?

The Endrick Spider

Jim
Coming down from the Ashenwell Dams yesterday with the dog, turned a corner and was hit with a blaze of white blossom. The old timers tell us that the heavier the blossom the more berries there are going to be. This also means more winter feeding for the wild birds so a more severe winter is predicted. We shall see.

Fishtales

Coming down from the Ashenwell Dams yesterday with the dog, turned a corner and was hit with a blaze of white blossom. The old timers tell us that the heavier the blossom the more berries there are going to be. This also means more winter feeding for the wild birds so a more severe winter is predicted. We shall see.
Lots of berries just means it was a good spring for the bees at flowering time :)
The Hawthorn was late flowering this year. The earliest I have seen was the 14th of May but that was a one off. The usual time is around the 18th onwards and the latest was this year and it was the 25th before I noticed one. The ones in full sun generally bloom before the ones in shade though so I try to look for them in the same place each year.
As the saying goes "ne'er cast a clout 'till the May be oot" :cool:

Cap'n Fishy

Anyone think this has been an exceptional year for broom blossom - seems a mass of yellow everywhere just recently?

Col