Boat rod for wild brown trout waters

Gdog

I'm interested to know what length and line weight fly rods people use when fishing for wild lake/lough/loch brown trout (not rainbows) from a drifting boat.

In the early to mid nineties I used an 11'3'' foot Daiwa rod for a 5/6/7 weight line, that rod was stolen from my car so I switched to a couple of different 10 foot 6/7 weights.

I now use 2 different 10 foot / 6 weights a Snowbee Geo Nano and an Airflo Superstik for general wet fly and nymph fishing, and a Greys XF2 Streamflex 9' / 5 weight for dry fly.

What rods lengths or line weights do other people use? 10' / 5 weights are also popular.

shpeil

I use a Hardy Marksman Drifter, 11ft 5wt for everything wild from a boat. I like it a lot. I don't see any point in going up a line weight when the fish are rarely over a pound, I'm not chucking lures and I never fish with a sinking line. And I use a 9ft 5wt from the bank and wanted to use the same lines/reels. It's maybe a tad wobbly but it doesn't really matter from a boat when you don't need tight loops... I chuck the line high and let the wind do the rest. I've also got one of them 11ft 3in Diawa jobs. There's no comparing.

I also tried the 6wt 11 footer Hardy Marksman Drifter which was excellent.

Gdog

I use a Hardy Marksman Drifter, 11ft 5wt for everything wild from a boat. I like it a lot. I don't see any point in going up a line weight when the fish are rarely over a pound, I'm not chucking lures and I never fish with a sinking line. And I use a 9ft 5wt from the bank and wanted to use the same lines/reels. It's maybe a tad wobbly but it doesn't really matter from a boat when you don't need tight loops... I chuck the line high and let the wind do the rest. I've also got one of them 11ft 3in Diawa jobs. There's no comparing.

I had the Daiwa CF98, very forgiving, it was hard to make a bad cast with it. The only downside with that rod was after a full days fishing I often used to get a pain between the shoulder blades, and I was a young Gdog back then.

Cap'n Fishy

I have that rod and agree - it is excellent! If you want to go the extra foot, to give you the the extra dribble, loch-styling for browns, that is the rod I would recommend. Other than that, for loch-styling, I use 10-footers, in 5 or 6-weight, except when fishing the lochs where the target is salmon, sea trout or ferox, and then I step up to a 10 ft 7-weight. I also fish dry fly a lot from the boat, for which I use a 9' 6" 6-weight.

Col

hill loch gold

I also use a marksman drifter for boat fishing, the 10ft 6 weight model. Sometimes i carry a lighter 4 or 5 weight as well for fishing dries.