Boat seat arrangements...

worsle

So Col have you found the best way to use the seat with open thwarts (all i need), is with a plank and ratchet straps, or the clamp and turnbuckle? I'm finding using the individual screws on the clamp is fiddly when you need to move the seat on the thwart to fish the other side. But, they're light and built in....

Cap'n Fishy

So Col have you found the best way to use the seat with open thwarts (all i need), is with a plank and ratchet straps, or the clamp and turnbuckle? I'm finding using the individual screws on the clamp is fiddly when you need to move the seat on the thwart to fish the other side. But, they're light and built in....

I've only used the ratchet strap when putting it directly on to the thwart, as in here...

Achnacarry2016_2984.jpg

...and that's been when I've gone at the sharp end.

So far, I've always used the clamp and turnbuckle arrangement on either the oak plank or the cannibalised Bob Church, when they have been what's required - and that's been when I've gone to the blunt end.

Yes, the bolts and butterfly nuts are a faff to tighten by hand when you need to rely on them for a tight hold... and it's one of the advantages of both the ratchet strap and the turnbuckle that they tighten everything up so firmly, that you don't need to worry about the bolts on the clamp being particularly tight. :thumbs:

Col

clanchief

jdJq21Z.jpg
[/IMG]

b1EOsSX.jpg
[/IMG]

Copying Col's brilliant idea I have butchered my biscuit based swivel Air Flo seat and upgraded to the above, its lighter over all, though wont go in the bag, never mind I'm not siting on the bag.

Its short enough to go inside across the rear seats of a Menteith boat or across longways.

Looks like it will be comfy aswell.

The supplier Col suggested was cheap and very quick.

Cap'n Fishy

Its short enough to go inside across the rear seats of a Menteith boat or across longways...

Good stuff. :thumbs: A couple of guys in our club have rigged up something very similar to that. Have you tested you can get it inside the 'horseshoe' boats at Menteith? That was the sticky one for me, and I had to cut my oak plank to fit tight inside them - they make up 19 of the fleet of 32 boats, so the chances are >50:50 of getting one (though the first 6 occasions that I took my new arrangement to Menteith I didn't get a horseshoe :p).

Col

clanchief

Yeah I've had it across the back before motoring out. It's 35 1/4" long.

I had a grey Sweeney boat for many years, even know John Sweeney the builder of them, I used to supply all the boat makers with hardwood in lomondside and the west of Scotland!

Not many boats or yachts that have not had something I've picked on them, and if you've had a pint and admired that massive mahogany bar top, likely that was from my hands in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

After using my oak plank a few times when committed to being at the blunt end of a Sweeney 'horseshoe', I started being a bit put off by how cramped I was, and the awkwardness of getting my left leg back-and-forth over the plank many times during the proceedings.

Putting the seat on the bob Church plank and stretchering it, diagonally, from horseshoe to middle thwart seemed a better bet. Only problem is that the horseshoe is set lower than the middle thwart so, if you do that, you are cast at an angle and liable to discomfort, potential spinal problems and general interference with your fishing.

It just needed something put under the end of the Bob Church to level-up the whole proceedings.

I looked for a block of foam, and found one. I attached it with a couple of stretchy Velcro straps...

Yoga-block_1300.jpg

Sorted. :thumbs:

Col

don1971

Hello all, some very clever ideas shown in here.
I'm thinking of making myself a boat seat bracket of some kind to span the gunwhales, what is the average width I need to cater for on uk resevoirs?
Thanks.

uptomyknee_s

This is a really good thread that I have been following with interest.
I have gone down the route of purchasing a seat and a swivel clamp as per Col's setup on page one.
The seat I bought came with a swivel plate include in the price. The clamp has the plate already attached so I have a spare one:)
One thing I have noticed is the combined weight of the clamp and swivel plate.
I would like to reduce some of the overall weight of the seat and clamp etc.
Something to think about and investigate:thumbs:

Graham

campsiefisher

Just as an aside, if anyone is looking for one of these seats, and a swivel for it, (fittings included) i have one of each new at a very reduced price.

Probably a pain to post so, I'm also happy if buyer wants it/them picked up at a central Scotland location (say Lake of Menteith for example) which should save on buyer/seller cost (postage).

boatseat.jpg
swivel.jpg

Best regards
Jim

Cap'n Fishy

Last edited:

hill loch gold

I’ve been thinking of buying a folding boat seat and seeing if i can modify it, before i go to caithness in 4 weeks time.

I’ll mostly be fishing from boats like the ones below. What would be the best set up to go with for the folding seats on this type of boat? Any help or tips appreciated :thumbs:

Attachments

• CEB38980-ECBE-4CC2-BD26-8AB9F6243707.jpeg
    CEB38980-ECBE-4CC2-BD26-8AB9F6243707.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

noel

We have 1 boat with that seating arrangement and we provide a board to go over the back to attach our folding seats as most of us have gone the route of the folding seat and not the airflo style of over the gunwales .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cap'n Fishy

I’ve been thinking of buying a folding boat seat and seeing if i can modify it, before i go to caithness in 4 weeks time.

I’ll mostly be fishing from boats like the ones below. What would be the best set up to go with for the folding seats on this type of boat? Any help or tips appreciated :thumbs:

I have fished form those Watten boats a few times. I don't think they are all identical, but they are much the same. I am trying to remember if any are the 'horseshoe' type.

The problem with all those Sweeney type boats is that they don't have a thwart where the stern rod wants to sit. You either have to put an extending plank type seat such as a 'Rutland'/Bob Church on top of the gunwales, or fit it lengthways inside the boat. It depends a lot on whether you are nearer the height of Richard Osman or Ronnie Corbett. :eek: I put mine lengthways inside, like this...

Uist2015_0751.jpg

There are probably buoyancy tanks under the bow seat (like in that one above), so whoever is sitting there needs to know they can't use ratchet straps.

If you get a 'horseshoe' type, it is even more awkward to fit a seat inside it... and level! That is where the yoga block comes in...

Yoga-block_1300.jpg

But I find it really good, being able to swivel left-right without being constrained by having a thwart between my legs. It's better for my bad hip, and it's better for covering rising fish. ;)

But then some folk just mount a seat on a square of wood and plonk it wherever the thwart is...

Achnacarry15_57301.jpg

Pays yer money and takes yer choice... ;)

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I had a spare bucket seat and swivel plate sitting in the lock-up, so I thought I may as well put them to use and make up a simple 'seat to base' arrangement for occasions where my extending plank is not needed. I found a suitable piece of wood, and cut it to length. I mounted the swivel plate on it and then added a piece of anti-slip rubber to the underside. Then I ordered a pair of Velcro straps...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J9SGZHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot simpler and easier to use than ratchet straps!

Job done...

Short-mount20Apr19_9905.jpg

Short-mount20Apr19_9908.jpg

I used it on a trip up north a couple of weeks ago, where I knew I would be in the bow seat the whole time. The one issue with the clamp arrangement is, it can damage a wooden thwart. No such issues with the rubber-covered base...

Brora-2019_9989.jpg

It's nice and lightweight, too.

And if need be, I can put it on the extending plank just as easily as the clamp version...

Glencorse12May19_2596.jpg

Although I could have put it straight onto the stern thwart in that situation, I prefer having the free 'swivel room' in front of me and, being left-handed, it gives me more elbow room from the leccy motor.

Col

noel

Col just a friendly comment I do like it when my Scottish friends refer to going up north when you see all these southern softies from Wigan Leeds et al refering to themselves living in the North.

Cap'n Fishy

Col just a friendly comment I do like it when my Scottish friends refer to going up north when you see all these southern softies from Wigan Leeds et al refering to themselves living in the North.

We go up north. They are from oop north. ;)

Cap'n Fishy

I spotted another option for a home-made boat seat arrangement at Menteith this week. The two guys in the boat beside me had identical units. I asked if I could take a photo of them for my album.

Menteith19Aug20_0911.jpg

Menteith19Aug20_0917.jpg

The seats and swivels are the ones a lot of us clearly have. The base is an adapted one of these...

B&Q Work Platform

I see there are 2 models - a longer one and a shorter one. Looking at the photos, it looks like they have used the shorter one. It says it is 1700 mm high, but looking at the spec, they are both 470 mm high.

They look good fitted to a Coulam, but they are a wee bit at the mercy of the height of the gunwale. I guess most gunwales are a roughly similar height, but I have been in boats with higher and lower ones, which are going to tilt you forwards or backwards. The other reservation I have about those sorts of arrangements... and here is a similar one...

Uist-2017_8173.jpg

... you would need to be on constant lookout for your fly line getting pinched under the feet of the thing. Stand up to get to the motor... the thing might shift slightly... sit back down... go to cast.. and find you have squished your new Rio fly line under it... :eek:

Col

3lbgrayling

I spotted another option for a home-made boat seat arrangement at Menteith this week. The two guys in the boat beside me had identical units. I asked if I could take a photo of them for my album.

Menteith19Aug20_0911.jpg

Menteith19Aug20_0917.jpg

The seats and swivels are the ones a lot of us clearly have. The base is an adapted one of these...

B&Q Work Platform

I see there are 2 models - a longer one and a shorter one. Looking at the photos, it looks like they have used the shorter one. It says it is 1700 mm high, but looking at the spec, they are both 470 mm high.

They look good fitted to a Coulam, but they are a wee bit at the mercy of the height of the gunwale. I guess most gunwales are a roughly similar height, but I have been in boats with higher and lower ones, which are going to tilt you forwards or backwards. The other reservation I have about those sorts of arrangements... and here is a similar one...

Uist-2017_8173.jpg

... you would need to be on constant lookout for your fly line getting pinched under the feet of the thing. Stand up to get to the motor... the thing might shift slightly... sit back down... go to cast.. and find you have squished your new Rio fly line under it... :eek:

Col

I was there when Quint was looking at these.with a view to purchasing some.I don't know if the deal came off.

Jim

Latest posts